Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Greek MyHeritage+Gedmatch results (7/8 Achaean 1/8 from Lamia)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z2103>R-Y155609
    mtDNA (M)
    W6c1a

Greece Greek Macedonia Empire of Trebizond Byzantine Empire
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatzianastasoglou View Post
    What exactly is Western Pontos geographically?
    West of Giresun. Pontus is Trabzon-Gumushane-Rize.
    55.8% Greek Central Macedonia + 44.2% Greek Trabzon @ 1.46

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dosas For This Useful Post:

Chatzianastasoglou (11-21-2020),  Johnny ola (11-21-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

What exactly is Western Pontos geographically?
    As Dosas told you the areas western from Giresun. More Specific Amasya, Nikser, Ordu(Kotyora), Samsun, Sinope etc. These people were Turkophone mostly like Other Anatolian Greeks. Pontic Greeks from eastern Pontus were Greek speaking(Pontic Greek dialect). The thing With western Pontus is that most of them died or Islamicized. Most of western Pontians coming from Samsun today, but sadly We lack samples and DNA from them.I have seen only One sample from Samsun and Amasya and the guy was like Cappadocian Greeks. It seems the western regions are more Anatolian and they lack the Caucasus input of Eastern Pontus.
    Last edited by Johnny ola; 11-21-2020 at 09:02 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

Chatzianastasoglou (11-21-2020),  dosas (11-21-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Nationality
    Hellenic
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a (L295-, P267-)
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a (L621)
    mtDNA (P)
    V

Byzantine Empire Greece Cyprus
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny ola View Post
    As Dosas told you the areas western from Giresun. More Specific Amasya, Nikser, Ordu(Kotyora), Samsun, Sinope etc. These people were Turkophone mostly like Other Anatolian Greeks. Pontic Greeks from eastern Pontus were Greek speaking(Pontic Greek dialect). The thing With western Pontus is that most of them died or Islamicized. Most of western Pontians coming from Samsun today, but sadly We lack samples and DNA from them.I have seen only One sample from Samsun and Amasya and the guy was like Cappadocian Greeks. It seems the western regions are more Anatolian and they lack the Caucasus input of Eastern Pontus.
    True. We have the village Nea Sinopi in Preveza. And they speak Turkish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chatzianastasoglou For This Useful Post:

Johnny ola (11-21-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

True. We have the village Nea Sinopi in Preveza. And they speak Turkish.
    Yes.Western Pontians,Cappadocian Greeks(especially from Kayiseri and Konya),Anatolian Greeks from west coast(and Costantinoupoli too) were mostly Turkish speakers or bilingual.Οnly eastern Pontians remained Greek speaking and i think this has to do because of the geographical position and the isolated parts,that they used to live.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by xripkan View Post
    But we don't know the exact profile of Aegean and Western Anatolian part.
    Based on that I can't make any safe conclusions. I find more possible that he is 25% Peloponnesian. His maternal grandpa should be in the range of Western anatolian/Cyclades without excluding the possibility of an Aegean-shifted Peloponnesian.
    I'm sorry for quoting you again, just wanted to say that you may be onto something.
    I added the new Greek averages in the g25 modern database and run my friend again to see his new distances and mixes... Not much changed obviously but this time I thought about playing a little more with ADC, I usually go up to 0.25x , and at 0.5x I got the following mix

Distance: 1.4430% / 0.01443015
    Target: Chris_scaled | ADC: 0.5x RC
    71.9 Greek_Izmir
    23.4 Italian_Abruzzo
    4.7 Iranian_Mazandarani

Isn't the Abruzzo among the closest Italian regions to southern Greece and somewhat balkan shifted from the ancient and medieval migrations there ?
    Could it work as a proxy for his Peloponnesian ancestry ? If so wouldn't it be higher,or another mix of populations would show up altogether, if he was almost half Peloponnesian and with a probable NW-Greek profile at that ?

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z93>R-YP4768
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

Quote Originally Posted by lacreme View Post
    I'm sorry for quoting you again, just wanted to say that you may be onto something.
    I added the new Greek averages in the g25 modern database and run my friend again to see his new distances and mixes... Not much changed obviously but this time I thought about playing a little more with ADC, I usually go up to 0.25x , and at 0.5x I got the following mix

Distance: 1.4430% / 0.01443015
    71.9 Greek_Izmir
    23.4 Italian_Abruzzo
    4.7 Iranian_Mazandarani

Isn't the Abruzzo among the closest Italian regions to southern Greece and somewhat balkan shifted from the ancient and medieval migrations there ?
    Could it work as a proxy for his Peloponnesian ancestry ? If so wouldn't it be higher,or another mix of populations would show up altogether, if he was almost half Peloponnesian and with a probable NW-Greek profile at that ?
    Abruzzo is a proxy for a Peloponnesian. However his grandpa must be more Northern shifted. So if we are talking about 25% ancestry from a NW-Greek profile like the maternal grandpa the rest seems a mix of Western Anatolian and Aegean or maybe a genatic profile similar to new Lakonia samples.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xripkan For This Useful Post:

lacreme (11-21-2020)

Registered Users

Abruzzo is a proxy for a Peloponnesian. However his grandpa must be more Northern shifted. So if we are talking about 25% ancestry from a NW-Greek profile like the maternal grandpa the rest seems a mix of Western Anatolian and Aegean or maybe a genatic profile similar to new Lakonia samples.
    My comment was made by crediting the 25% Peloponnesian solely on his paternal grandmother who is from east Elis,close to the borders with Arcadia. Due to the location of her village and the history of the area her profile should be somewhat close to his recognised as maternal grandfather, possibly a little bit more southern/southeastern. Taking this condition into account, wouldn't your theory about a possible aegean shifted peloponnesian, western anatolian or from cyclades biological maternal grandpa be quite believeable ? I think that the 75% that remains (Izmir+Mazandarani) can account for the mix of the rest of his known ancestry plus an unknown person with a genetic profile as you've described.

what do you think ?

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z93>R-YP4768
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

My comment was made by crediting the 25% Peloponnesian solely on his paternal grandmother who is from east Elis,close to the borders with Arcadia. Due to the location of her village and the history of the area her profile should be somewhat close to his recognised as maternal grandfather, possibly a little bit more southern/southeastern. Taking this condition into account, wouldn't your theory about a possible aegean shifted peloponnesian, western anatolian or from cyclades biological maternal grandpa be quite believeable ? I think that the 75% that remains (Izmir+Mazandarani) can account for the mix of the rest of his known ancestry plus an unknown person with a genetic profile as you've described.

what do you think ?

Running a model with all the Greek references this is what we get

Distance: 1.4988% / 0.01498759
    57.5 Greek_Izmir
    24.1 Greek_Crete
    18.4 Greek_Thessaly

He could be 1/4 Peloponnesian 1/4 Cretan and the rest plots close to Izmir reference. So the specific 1/4 must have this genetic profile we are describing above.
    Last edited by xripkan; 11-21-2020 at 08:44 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xripkan For This Useful Post:

Johnny ola (11-21-2020),  lacreme (11-21-2020)

Registered Users

Running a model with all the Greek references this is what we get

Distance: 1.4988% / 0.01498759
    57.5 Greek_Izmir
    24.1 Greek_Crete
    18.4 Greek_Thessaly

He could be 1/4 Peloponnesian 1/4 Cretan and the rest plots close to Izmir reference. So his the specific 1/4 must have this genetic profile we are describing above.
    Do you mean the Aegean shifted/western anatolian/cyclades profile ?

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z93>R-YP4768
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

Do you mean the Aegean shifted/western anatolian/cyclades profile ?
    Exactly. This is the most possible.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to xripkan For This Useful Post:

lacreme (11-21-2020)

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast