Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Swat in News Again, Shahi-Era Temple Discovered

  1. #1
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,096
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

    Pakistan Azad Kashmir India

    Swat in News Again, Shahi-Era Temple Discovered

    https://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...le33141958.ece

    Khaliq said that Swat district is home to a thousand-year-old archaeological sites and the traces of the Hindu Shahi period have been found for the first time in the area.

    Dr. Luka, the head of the Italian archaeological mission, said this was the first temple of the Ghandhara civilisation discovered in Swat district.
    I had heard of an ancient shrine, in the neighbouring Hindko-Speaking Hazara, which the locals consider to be of Bibi Shee aali(The Hindu Goddess Mata Sheran Aali).

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

     discreetmaverick (11-21-2020),  kaazi (11-23-2020),  Kulin (11-21-2020),  laltota (11-22-2020),  Megalophias (11-24-2020),  parasar (11-21-2020),  ThaYamamoto (11-21-2020)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    78
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b

    United States of America Pakistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    https://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...le33141958.ece



    I had heard of an ancient shrine, in the neighbouring Hindko-Speaking Hazara, which the locals consider to be of Bibi Shee aali(The Hindu Goddess Mata Sheran Aali).
    According to Luca Olivieri, “The temple was actually built during the Turki Shahi period around 700 AD. At that time Uddiyana (Swat) was ruled by a king known as From Kesar (King ‘Ceasar of Rome’). He was the son of Tegin Shah Khurasan, a well-known Turki Shahi king from Kabul,”

    He said that the temple was re-established and maintained till the Hindu Shahi time (ca 1000 AD). The temple is also mentioned in a Hindu Shahi inscription, found in Barikot in the late 19th century and conserved in Lahore Museum.

    “It was a very crucial time as it was the end of ancient time and the last historical macro event before the arrival of Islam, which marks the beginning of medieval time in this part of South Asia,” he said.

    5da39e52c867a.jpg

    https://www.dawn.com/news/1510700

    The Capital of the Hindu Shahis had moved to Hund (Udabhandapura) after the initial Ghaznavid incursion into the Kabul valley. Then to Nandana in the Salt Range, after Jayapala is defeated, Alberuni interestingly mentions this. The temples of Salt Range: Malot, Amb Shareef and Kalabagh Kafirkot, show a mix of both Gandhari, Kashmiri, and Nagara temple architecture styles according to Michael W. Meister from the University of Pennsylvania a professor of Art History leading excavation of Upper Indus Valley Temples. His preliminary analysis is worth a read: https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~mmeister/...r/expedtxt.htm. Project website: https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~mmeister/.../pakistan.html
    Last edited by Kapisa; 11-21-2020 at 08:53 PM.

  4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

     Amber29 (11-22-2020),  discreetmaverick (11-21-2020),  Jatt1 (11-22-2020),  Kulin (11-21-2020),  laltota (11-22-2020),  pakistani (11-23-2020),  parasar (11-21-2020),  pegasus (11-21-2020),  Rahuls77 (11-21-2020),  subzero85 (Yesterday),  ThaYamamoto (11-21-2020)

  5. #3
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,096
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

    Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    According to Luca Olivieri, “The temple was actually built during the Turki Shahi period around 700 AD. At that time Uddiyana (Swat) was ruled by a king known as From Kesar (King ‘Ceasar of Rome’). He was the son of Tegin Shah Khurasan, a well-known Turki Shahi king from Kabul,”

    He said that the temple was re-established and maintained till the Hindu Shahi time (ca 1000 AD). The temple is also mentioned in a Hindu Shahi inscription, found in Barikot in the late 19th century and conserved in Lahore Museum.

    “It was a very crucial time as it was the end of ancient time and the last historical macro event before the arrival of Islam, which marks the beginning of medieval time in this part of South Asia,” he said.

    5da39e52c867a.jpg

    https://www.dawn.com/news/1510700

    The Capital of the Hindu Shahis had moved to Hund (Udabhandapura) after the initial Ghaznavid incursion into the Kabul valley. Then to Nandana in the Salt Range, after Jayapala is defeated, Alberuni interestingly mentions this. The temples of Salt Range: Malot, Amb Shareef and Kalabagh Kafirkot, show a mix of both Gandhari, Kashmiri, and Nagara temple architecture styles according to Michael W. Meister from the University of Pennsylvania a professor of Art History leading excavation of Upper Indus Valley Temples. His preliminary analysis is worth a read: https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~mmeister/...r/expedtxt.htm.
    I shall ask a friend from Dir to get some pictures of the area and the site, and also if he can get a video of the site. I trust Bazira is very close to the Swat river, where this site is located and with a fort nearby.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

     Kapisa (11-21-2020),  laltota (11-22-2020),  pakistani (11-23-2020)

  7. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    78
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b

    United States of America Pakistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    I shall ask a friend from Dir to get some pictures of the area and the site, and also if he can get a video of the site. I trust Bazira is very close to the Swat river, where this site is located and with a fort nearby.
    There are multiple phases of the site, all located on the slopes of a hill overlooking Swat River. You can see some pics and 360 views of the site from google maps https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...7!4d72.2118446
    Heres a pic: 2019-12-19.jpg

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

     discreetmaverick (11-22-2020),  laltota (11-22-2020),  Megalophias (11-24-2020),  pakistani (11-23-2020),  parasar (11-22-2020),  Rahuls77 (11-21-2020)

  9. #5
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,096
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

    Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    There are multiple phases of the site, all located on the slopes of a hill overlooking Swat River. You can see some pics and 360 views of the site from google maps https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...7!4d72.2118446
    Heres a pic: 2019-12-19.jpg
    Thank you, nice 360's. Its mostly the remains of the forts. Another friend from the region had once shared a pic of what seemed like a Shivalink, now in the premises of a Mosque, in Salampur, Swat.
    84354395_800650957070969_6291035243528847360_n.jpg

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

     discreetmaverick (11-22-2020),  laltota (11-22-2020),  parasar (11-22-2020)

  11. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    572
    Sex
    Location
    London, UK
    Ethnicity
    Bihari, UPite and Bengali
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a1c-JST002611
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

    India Pakistan United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    According to Luca Olivieri, “The temple was actually built during the Turki Shahi period around 700 AD. At that time Uddiyana (Swat) was ruled by a king known as From Kesar (King ‘Ceasar of Rome’). He was the son of Tegin Shah Khurasan, a well-known Turki Shahi king from Kabul,”

    He said that the temple was re-established and maintained till the Hindu Shahi time (ca 1000 AD). The temple is also mentioned in a Hindu Shahi inscription, found in Barikot in the late 19th century and conserved in Lahore Museum.

    “It was a very crucial time as it was the end of ancient time and the last historical macro event before the arrival of Islam, which marks the beginning of medieval time in this part of South Asia,” he said.

    5da39e52c867a.jpg

    https://www.dawn.com/news/1510700

    The Capital of the Hindu Shahis had moved to Hund (Udabhandapura) after the initial Ghaznavid incursion into the Kabul valley. Then to Nandana in the Salt Range, after Jayapala is defeated, Alberuni interestingly mentions this. The temples of Salt Range: Malot, Amb Shareef and Kalabagh Kafirkot, show a mix of both Gandhari, Kashmiri, and Nagara temple architecture styles according to Michael W. Meister from the University of Pennsylvania a professor of Art History leading excavation of Upper Indus Valley Temples. His preliminary analysis is worth a read: https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~mmeister/...r/expedtxt.htm. Project website: https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~mmeister/.../pakistan.html
    Sasanian style drachma of Tegin Shah of the Nezak Huns struck in 680-738AD with a small hole plugged with gold in an attempt to increase its value:



    Hindu Shahi coin of Samanta Deva from 850 to 1000AD:

    Last edited by deuterium_1; 11-22-2020 at 11:11 AM.

  12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

     Alain (11-24-2020),  discreetmaverick (11-22-2020),  Jatt1 (11-23-2020),  Kapisa (11-22-2020),  laltota (11-22-2020),  parasar (11-22-2020),  pmokeefe (11-22-2020),  Rahuls77 (11-22-2020),  tipirneni (11-22-2020)

  13. #7
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    7,876

    Shahi Vek's Mazar e Sharif inscription (courtesy Dani https://www.jstor.org/stable/44148087?seq=1 See also a critique: http://journals.uop.edu.pk/papers/AP_v24_71to77.pdf)


    1. OM II SAMVATSARE VARSH[E] 100 30 8 ASHTA TRIM SADHIKE SAMVATE
    2. SATE [SU]KLA GRIHNA MAGHE RBHA[RYA] TI MATU KS ANGI NANKA SRI
    3. SHAHI VEKA RAJYE BHU[VA]NA HATTA DURGA ASHTA B[V]ALE-
    4. NASITAVATYA SIVABHATTARAKASYA UMA SA-
    5. HITASYA DEVA PRATIMA MAITYASYE PARIMAHA MAI-
    6. TYENA PRATISHTHITO ATRA SIVA BHA[TTARAKAM] MAHA
    7. SRDDHAYAM VADNAM UBHAM SAPUTRA PUNYA PHALAM TATO
    8. SIVA BHATTARAKASYA UMA SAHITASYA GURO MA
    9. TA PITRO RA KHA[DHI]VATU II ASHTESHTAKA SAMA YU-
    10. KTAM CHA KARUTO SIVALAYAM UMA LAN[NGA] NE

    Om. In the year 138, one hundred increased by thirty-eight, on the white half of Magha, during the reign of Sri Shahi Veka, marked by powerful ksangina, having occupied the earth, markets, and forts, by eightfold forces; the godly image of Siva Bhattaraka and Uma was established at Maityasya by Parimaha (the great) Maitya. Here Shiva Bhattaraka is worshipped with great devotion for the merit of both along with son; hence Siva-Bhattaraka with Uma may protect the teacher, mother, and father. At the temple of Siva with the embrace of Uma, eight desired ceremonies should be performed for the attainment of Svarga. Friends be pleased. Sri…

    The year is given as 138, which likely means Vek's dynastic line started 138 year earlier. Vek is most likely the same as Vakk Dev as read on coins.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

     Alain (11-24-2020),  deuterium_1 (11-23-2020),  discreetmaverick (11-22-2020),  laltota (11-22-2020)

  15. #8
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    7,876

    Quote Originally Posted by deuterium_1 View Post
    ...

    Hindu Shahi coin of Samanta Deva from 850 to 1000AD:

    Yes Samant Dev is clearly read on the right top. Samant could be a proper name or denote a feudatory status.

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

     Alain (11-24-2020),  deuterium_1 (11-23-2020),  Jatt1 (11-23-2020),  laltota (11-22-2020),  Rahuls77 (11-22-2020)

  17. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    572
    Sex
    Location
    London, UK
    Ethnicity
    Bihari, UPite and Bengali
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a1c-JST002611
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

    India Pakistan United Kingdom
    Tegin Shah belonged to the Nezak Huns who don't appear to have been as powerful as the Alchon Huns who reached as far as Malwa.



    Colonial era writers used to link the Rajputs with the Hunas.
    Last edited by deuterium_1; 11-23-2020 at 08:42 AM.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

     Alain (11-24-2020),  laltota (11-24-2020),  Rahuls77 (11-23-2020)

  19. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    78
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b

    United States of America Pakistan
    Quote Originally Posted by deuterium_1 View Post
    Tegin Shah belonged to the Nezak Huns who don't appear to have been as powerful as the Alchon Huns who reached as far as Malwa.



    Colonial era writers used to link the Rajputs with the Hunas.
    Yes and by the time of Nezak Huns Sassanids had made gains in Afghanistan according to some archeologists taken over lost areas of Balochistan and Akra (near Bannu) south of Peshawar valley. Nezaks maintained control over Balkh, Kapisa and Zabul.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2020, 06:36 PM
  2. Swat Valley Iron Age samples?
    By akash in forum Southern
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2020, 12:28 AM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-12-2020, 07:55 AM
  4. Remains of Long-Lost Urartu Temple Discovered
    By MfA in forum Archaeology (Prehistory)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2014, 08:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •