H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

JMcB (05-02-2021),  MatAust21 (01-05-2021),  MR J (01-04-2021),  timberwolf (01-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1B-DF99(FGC16982)

Germany Imperial Normandie Switzerland
    they seem to be offline
    K8: French East/German South/Austrian 26%, French North East/Belgian/German West 25%, French North 25%, Irish/Scottish/Welsh 10%, French South/French Basque 9%, German East/Czech/Austrian 5%
    K36: French East/German South/Swiss German 33%, French North East/Belgian/German West 31%, French North Central 21%, Irish/Scottish/Welsh 9%, French South/ French Basque 6%
    K16: German 50%, French North West 19%, French North East 11%, Irish/English 11%, French South 9%

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Theconqueror For This Useful Post:

timberwolf (01-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

How accurate is illustrative DNA’s modern ethnicity report?

Using their modern oracles

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    Using their modern oracles
    I've merged this question with the existing Illustrative DNA thread. Before starting a thread with general questions of this nature, please run a search to see if any existing threads address the same topic.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

digital_noise (04-22-2021),  JMcB (05-02-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    I've merged this question with the existing Illustrative DNA thread. Before starting a thread with general questions of this nature, please run a search to see if any existing threads address the same topic.
    I did a search beforehand but nothing is showing up for me.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    I did a search beforehand but nothing is showing up for me.
    I'm not sure why that would be. If you put "Illustrative DNA" in quotation marks in the search box at the top right of this page it should come up. It is true, though, that there isn't much content yet specifically related to this service.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    I'm not sure why that would be. If you put "Illustrative DNA" in quotation marks in the search box at the top right of this page it should come up. It is true, though, that there isn't much content yet specifically related to this service.

Yep I did that, I have looked through Reddit as well as I am having trouble with my results but there is not much there either. Maybe it’s a glitch with my phone but the page goes blank when I search.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Yep I did that, I have looked through Reddit as well as I am having trouble with my results but there is not much there either. Maybe it’s a glitch with my phone but the page goes blank when I search.
    Trust, the threads are here, on this forum at least. It might not be an exact match in terms of subject but there are pages of threads already discussing many of your questions. Its generally better suited for the forum and community in general to have these things consolidated so when someone else comes along and searches there are not multiple redundant threads.

Anyways, I would take these results with a grain of salt. Unless there is an in depth explanation behing how they do what they do, consider it entertainment purposes only. My take on it
    Last edited by digital_noise; 04-22-2021 at 10:15 PM.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    Trust, the threads are here, on this forum at least. It might not be an exact match in terms of subject but there are pages of threads already discussing many of your questions. Its generally better suited for the forum and community in general to have these things consolidated so when someone else comes along and searches there are not multiple redundant threads.

Anyways, I would take these results with a grain of salt. Unless there is an in depth explanation behing how they do what they do, consider it entertainment purposes only. My take on it

I see it now. I checked with my computer and the threads appeared, but they didn’t with my phone. My bad.

I’m not taking them too seriously, I’m just confused by how it works with the whole genetically similar result vs oracle result. The countries listed in my genetically similar report are very different to the countries listed with the oracles. They’re not even close to similar. So I’m not understanding how I’m genetically similar to said countries if my oracle results are predicting that my ethnicity is the complete opposite. Maybe I’m just being dumb here but I do not understand.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Venetian + CS Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z58
    mtDNA (M)
    H7

Republic of Venice Friuli Vatican
    I see it now. I checked with my computer and the threads appeared, but they didn’t with my phone. My bad.

I’m not taking them too seriously, I’m just confused by how it works with the whole genetically similar result vs oracle result. The countries listed in my genetically similar report are very different to the countries listed with the oracles. They’re not even close to similar. So I’m not understanding how I’m genetically similar to said countries if my oracle results are predicting that my ethnicity is the complete opposite. Maybe I’m just being dumb here but I do not understand.
    People will give you better answers for sure, but I do think that it is basically the same as asking the difference between "distance" and "single" on Vahaduo.

On one side, you've got populations or samples who have a similar genetic profile as yours.
    On the other side, there is an attempt to guess your ethnic breakdown.

Now, I understand you are quite mixed. The first type of info, should be just taken as "wow funny, I am 1/5 Amerindian, 1/5 English, 1/5 Russian, 2/5 Turkish and I yet my genes are similar to those of an Italian!" (I've used Italian just because I don't want anybody to get offended so I'll use my own nationality).
    Basically, curious info but doesn't say much about you and your paper trail. For example, I cluster mostly with mainland greeks and yet in the last 500 years no greek ancestors. But because I am a mix of various Italian populations from the north, the center and the upper south, all quite eastern then I am not that different genetically from a Greek mainlander. And we are talking about the same country, imagine in your case.

On the second type of information is where there should be the real value added. But that can be confusing, especially when you're mixed, because it doesn't often get right. You will need time to find a way to model yourself. Use these things as "fun", for now. In 15 years time maybe it will be different. For now, the ancient stuff is the most interesting. And even with those samples, just keep in mind that you could be having overfitting and many other issues. Working with modern samples is just entertainment.

Why the two differ so much? Because a 1/4 Turkish, 1/4 Scottish, 1/4 Iberian, 1/4 Romanian might show you genetical similarity to an Italian, yet the oracle tries to see not what's your closest genetic reference population, but what is your real background. Which for mixed people are completely different things.
    Deep Ancestry: 63.2% AUT_LBK_N + 36.8% RUS_Vonyuchka_En @ 2.6339%
    Ancient: 89.0% ITA_Rome_Late_Antiquity + 11.0% HUN_Avar_Szolad @ 2.4649%

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northern Adriatic For This Useful Post:

HBA39 (04-23-2021),  MatAust21 (04-23-2021)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast