Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Illustrative DNA

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adriatic View Post
    People will give you better answers for sure, but I do think that it is basically the same as asking the difference between "distance" and "single" on Vahaduo.

On one side, you've got populations or samples who have a similar genetic profile as yours.
    On the other side, there is an attempt to guess your ethnic breakdown.

Now, I understand you are quite mixed. The first type of info, should be just taken as "wow funny, I am 1/5 Amerindian, 1/5 English, 1/5 Russian, 2/5 Turkish and I yet my genes are similar to those of an Italian!" (I've used Italian just because I don't want anybody to get offended so I'll use my own nationality).
    Basically, curious info but doesn't say much about you and your paper trail. For example, I cluster mostly with mainland greeks and yet in the last 500 years no greek ancestors. But because I am a mix of various Italian populations from the north, the center and the upper south, all quite eastern then I am not that different genetically from a Greek mainlander. And we are talking about the same country, imagine in your case.

On the second type of information is where there should be the real value added. But that can be confusing, especially when you're mixed, because it doesn't often get right. You will need time to find a way to model yourself. Use these things as "fun", for now. In 15 years time maybe it will be different. For now, the ancient stuff is the most interesting. And even with those samples, just keep in mind that you could be having overfitting and many other issues. Working with modern samples is just entertainment.

Why the two differ so much? Because a 1/4 Turkish, 1/4 Scottish, 1/4 Iberian, 1/4 Romanian might show you genetical similarity to an Italian, yet the oracle tries to see not what's your closest genetic reference population, but what is your real background. Which for mixed people are completely different things.

Ah thank you, you explained it perfectly. It just gets a bit confusing when different sites are producing different results, I’m not quite sure what I’m looking at sometimes. In all honesty I am not sure what my ethnic make up is which is why I’m so interested in these things. As far as I can tell I’m a mixture of British, Eastern Euro, Balkan and Middle Eastern. So I guess that is why they differ a lot? I think it’s easier to enjoy digging into these calculators when you are sure of your background and you can tell what is right and what is wrong.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Venetian + CS Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z58
    mtDNA (M)
    H7

Republic of Venice Friuli Vatican
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    Ah thank you, you explained it perfectly. It just gets a bit confusing when different sites are producing different results, I’m not quite sure what I’m looking at sometimes. In all honesty I am not sure what my ethnic make up is which is why I’m so interested in these things. As far as I can tell I’m a mixture of British, Eastern Euro, Balkan and Middle Eastern. So I guess that is why they differ a lot? I think it’s easier to enjoy digging into these calculators when you are sure of your background and you can tell what is right and what is wrong.
    It is a bit complicated yes. And it is easy to jump to conclusions if you are unsure.

Calculators send signals which unfortunately, especially for people who have no certain ancestry, can be confusing and/or misleading.

I would suggest, if possible, to work on official documents as much as possible (the so called paper trail) for your ancestry. If you can already be 100% sure to be 35% British, 25% South Slav, 10% Hungarian.. it's going to be easier to guess a few possible options for the remaining 30% (you can know for sure only by paperwork).

Also, remember. Even if you are the daughter of two Germans who genetically look 100% German, since you get 50% of the DNA of each of your parents it is still possible that you would look 100% French because of the genes you inherited. And it is even possible that calculators might mistaken you being French as Iberian or Northern Italian and oracles as a mix of English and Greek. And guess what, you are German with two German parents.

You can imagine how more confusing could become in your situation. So, take your genome results more as fun and curiosity than looking for answers, because you probably won't find any (and if you do, they could be wrong).
    Deep Ancestry: 63.2% AUT_LBK_N + 36.8% RUS_Vonyuchka_En @ 2.6339%
    Ancient: 89.0% ITA_Rome_Late_Antiquity + 11.0% HUN_Avar_Szolad @ 2.4649%

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northern Adriatic For This Useful Post:

Cascio (04-23-2021),  JMcB (04-22-2021),  MatAust21 (04-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adriatic View Post
    It is a bit complicated yes. And it is easy to jump to conclusions if you are unsure.

Calculators send signals which unfortunately, especially for people who have no certain ancestry, can be confusing and/or misleading.

I would suggest, if possible, to work on official documents as much as possible (the so called paper trail) for your ancestry. If you can already be 100% sure to be 35% British, 25% South Slav, 10% Hungarian.. it's going to be easier to guess a few possible options for the remaining 30% (you can know for sure only by paperwork).

Also, remember. Even if you are the daughter of two Germans who genetically look 100% German, since you get 50% of the DNA of each of your parents it is still possible that you would look 100% French because of the genes you inherited. And it is even possible that calculators might mistaken you being French as Iberian or Northern Italian and oracles as a mix of English and Greek. And guess what, you are German with two German parents.

You can imagine how more confusing could become in your situation. So, take your genome results more as fun and curiosity than looking for answers, because you probably won't find any (and if you do, they could be wrong).

That is true. The majority my British DNA is never represented as British. It’s always shown as Danish or Norwegian. I kind of like DNAgenics option of recent ancestry and shared origins, it helps me understand it slightly better. And your responses have helped me understand it better. I did start tracking a few of my relative matches not long ago with MyHeritage since they allow you to separate them into categories. I got a vague idea with those that corresponded with a few of the results on my thread. Thank you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HBA39 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (04-22-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kaikavian Croatian
    Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1a2b-A815
    mtDNA (M)
    HV0-T195C!

Croatia European Union
    This looks like G25 MyTrueAncestry.
    Is the same team behind?

All simple calculations, maps and plots I make for free, but for more complicated maps and calculations I ask for a donation via Hidden Content PayPalHidden Content account

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ph2ter For This Useful Post:

Nino90 (04-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian, German, Slav
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

Italy Germany Poland Brazil Rio Grande do Sul Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ter View Post
    This looks like G25 MyTrueAncestry.
    Is the same team behind?
    Probably not the same team, as MyTrueAncestry's crew is located in Switzerland, and Illustrative DNA is from Turkey, I believe,

I have a positive opinion of Illustrative DNA, in large part because they try to run your coordinates against targeted ancient populations that would make sense based on your recent ancestry. IMHO that is the way G25 should be used, 'cause if you just let the tool run wild, without human inspection and tweaking, it very often will give you implausible and impossible results.

Of course, this is still mostly for fun and curiosity, though. Sometimes people tend to overestimate what G25 can do, and look at this tool as if it were the most advanced thing out there, when in reality it can often be less accurate than some older Eurogenes tools, such as K15 and K36, and is still definitely not at the same level as some major companies such as 23andme and AncestryDNA when it comes to recent ancestry.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MatAust21 For This Useful Post:

Caius Agrippa (04-29-2021),  Cascio (04-24-2021),  digital_noise (04-24-2021),  HBA39 (04-24-2021),  Markos (04-28-2021),  ph2ter (04-24-2021),  tantra (04-29-2021),  timberwolf (04-24-2021),  vishankar (05-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

It keeps saying that orders are unavailable. Anyone know when they should be taking orders again?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by MatAust21 View Post
    Probably not the same team, as MyTrueAncestry's crew is located in Switzerland, and Illustrative DNA is from Turkey, I believe,

I have a positive opinion of Illustrative DNA, in large part because they try to run your coordinates against targeted ancient populations that would make sense based on your recent ancestry. IMHO that is the way G25 should be used, 'cause if you just let the tool run wild, without human inspection and tweaking, it very often will give you implausible and impossible results.

Of course, this is still mostly for fun and curiosity, though. Sometimes people tend to overestimate what G25 can do, and look at this tool as if it were the most advanced thing out there, when in reality it can often be less accurate than some older Eurogenes tools, such as K15 and K36, and is still definitely not at the same level as some major companies such as 23andme and AncestryDNA when it comes to recent ancestry.

That’s just the ancient populations though. The modern population oracles are all done by a system rather than hand picked.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y155609
    mtDNA (M)
    W6c1a

Byzantine Empire
    If the company is in Turkey, they might have issues with accepting payments due to the capital movement restrictions that are in place, afaik, even Paypal is not operable currently.
    dosas: 56.25% Greek_Macedonia + 43.75% Greek_Trabzon @ 1.769
    wife: 50% English + 50% Irish @ 1.837
    kid1: 56.25% English + 43.75% Greek_Cappadocia @ 1.817
    kid2: 56.25% English_Cornwall + 43.75% Greek_Cappadocia @ 1.866

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dosas For This Useful Post:

Alexander87 (04-24-2021),  tantra (04-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Me too, same cannot create an account from my MacBook Air.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tantra For This Useful Post:

Vasile (04-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY62310 (Kelmendi)
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a1c

Albania United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by tantra View Post
    Me too, same cannot create an account from my MacBook Air.
    payments still not available.
    “To Maltsia e madhe I first turned my steps–not to see the mountains, but to see life, history, the world, and the great unknown, as it looks to the mountain man.”
    - Edith Durham

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast