Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post your AncestryDNA communities and your 23andme location matches

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Russian Federation Byzantine Empire Israel Russia Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Well, you have genetic relatives in these Southern regions, that's for sure.
    Most of my Polish matches on 23andme are from Zamosc, Lublin Voivodeship

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by CyrylBojarski View Post
    Most of my Polish matches on 23andme are from Zamosc, Lublin Voivodeship
    But you must have some in those regions too, because otherwise it wouldn't be noted. Its the same for me, they calculated these matches for regions in Germany in which I don't have paticularly many matches, but still enough for their algorithm give me provinces like e.g. Hessen. Will be the same for you and they even gave it the same imortane as Lublin, which is neighbouring anyway.
    Last edited by Riverman; 12-11-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Russian Federation Byzantine Empire Israel Russia Imperial
    Well, you have genetic relatives in these Southern regions, that's for sure.
    Here is difference in g25. My ancestors were probably mix of Central and Southern regions

Distance: 2.3539% / 0.02353925
    Target: Cyryl_scaled
    62.5 Polish:S_Polish-1
    23.5 Russian_Kostroma
    7.2 Sephardic_Jew:sephardic16bul
    6.8 Bulgarian:Bulgaria1

As you can see Northern Russian increases to almost 25, when it is really 12,5% to my knowledge

Here is excellent fit from Genoplot, I use Ukrainian, because of eastern shift from Cossack and Russian side

sample: Cyryl:AncestryDNA
    distance: 1.4849
    Ukrainian: 85.5
    Bulgarian: 7.5
    Sephardic_Jew: 7

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

I counted people, that had 4 grandparents from one location, my matches there are:

2 Masovian Voivodeship
    4 Podkarpackie Voivodeship
    1 Lodz Voivodeship
    3 Lublin Voivodeship
    1 Swietokrzyskie
    1 Lower silesia
    4 Lwow oblast

With people from Lwow I can share as well Galician ancestor or ancestor from Central Poland who migrated there.

I think my ancestors were mix of Central Poles and Southern Poles, my Polish ancestry can not be only Southern Polish. MyHeritage is not very accurate, but it is good significative of shift, those Poles from South score even 20-35% Balkan, I score 20% Balkan additionally with known Balkan ancestors and I have very high distance to samples from there
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 12-11-2020 at 02:32 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CyrylBojarski For This Useful Post:

Riverman (12-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by CyrylBojarski View Post
    I counted people, that had 4 grandparents from one location, my matches there are:

2 Masovian Voivodeship
    4 Podkarpackie Voivodeship
    1 Lodz Voivodeship
    3 Lublin Voivodeship
    1 Swietokrzyskie
    1 Lower silesia
    4 Lwow oblast

With people from Lwow I can share as well Galician ancestor or ancestor from Central Poland who migrated there.

I think my ancestors were mix of Central Poles and Southern Poles, my Polish ancestry can not be only Southern Polish. MyHeritage is not very accurate, but it is good significative of shift, those Poles from South score even 20-35% Balkan, I score 20% Balkan additionally with known Balkan ancestors and I have very high distance on it.
    Probably more people from these Southern regions emigrated to the USA and got tested? AncestryDNA and 23andme can only go by what they have, and it seems some subpopulations are significantly underrepresented, others overrepresented.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Probably more people from these Southern regions emigrated to the USA and got tested? AncestryDNA and 23andme can only go by what they have, and it seems some subpopulations are significantly underrepresented, others overrepresented.
    You are right, I will test my parent this year on 23andme, I will buy G25 coordinates and create coordinates of my paternal side by creating "ghost", which is to my knowledge fully Polish and I will see to people from which region is Polish most simliar by regional averages
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 12-11-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic, Slavic, Baltic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-CTS5966
    mtDNA (P)
    H2a3

Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Denmark France Sweden Russia Imperial Germany
    23andMe is more accurate for me, though they are both missing chunks of ancestor locations.

Ancestry only gives me Czech, Slovakia, Poland, and Lithuania. My Russian grandfather also gets this. My thought is that there are no available Russian communities so this seems to be a "blanket" community for many Eastern Europeans. Ancestry also does not have French communities, other than North American French I think - this is 25% of my background so I expect nothing here. I am surprised for the number of cousins that I have on Ancestry, that no German communities were assigned. My dad's first cousins also get Denmark, but I understand I am generation further removed. Overall, there is a lot to be desired on my end.

Capture 1.JPG

23andMe is a little better. I get Russian locations that match my mom and grandfather. I also get Berlin and Bavaria, my ancestry in Germany is mostly north of there - heavily from Lower Saxony (Hanover to Bremen) and more distant Mecklenburg (Schwerin). My maternal grandma is French, but I receive no French locations. That being said, my grandma is tested there and despite being born in France with verified lines/records, she has no countries or regions from anywhere (no Spanish and Portuguese location etc...). A few of my paternal cousins have Denmark and that is a little surprising that it's missing on mine. If these locations are still clustered based on individual DNA matches, theoretically it should pop up on mine as well. Poland shows up, but I honestly don't know much about my direct Polish line. My grandfather also gets some of these communities, so it could be from some shared maternal line matches.

Capture2.JPG
    Maternal grandfather: born in Leningrad Oblast, Russia (1928)
    Maternal grandmother: born in Centre-Val de Loire, France (1927) - earliest documented ancestor (1770) Indre, France
    Paternal grandmother: born in the US - earliest documented ancestors (c. 1800) Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Lower Saxony
    Paternal grandfather: born in the US - paternal grandparents born in Danzig (c. 1854), maternal grandparents born in Kolding, Denmark 1875, maternal great grandma born in Lindberg, Sweden 1849

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boilermeschew827 For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (12-11-2020),  lana6765 (12-11-2020),  Stefanie (12-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O1b1
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1f1

Madagascar Pakistan Spain Mauritius France China
    On AncestryDNA I have a community for South Africa

On 23andMe I have these

The AncestryDNA community includes Mauritius too which makes sense as my dad was born there.

As for my South Asian regions on 23andMe, most regions add up. Punjab for Pakistan was expected considering my maternal grandfather is ethnically Punjabi but not KPK. I don't have any known ancestors from Gujarat but this'll be from my father's Indo-Mauritian ancestry, my mother's only South Asian regions are Punjab and KPK. Tamil Nadu and Karnataka make sense given Mauritian history but i'm surprised it's so low and that I don't also have a region for Bihar.

With my Chinese regions, Guangdong is correct because I have a great grandfather from there. No known ancestors from Sichuan though

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Adam A For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (12-15-2020),  JFWinstone (12-12-2020),  lana6765 (12-11-2020),  Nqp15hhu (12-11-2020),  Stefanie (12-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1a1b1
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3

England Ireland Wales Scotland England North of England European Union
    On AncestryDNA, I only have one community (North West England and the Isle of Man) with two sub-communities (Cheshire, Merseyside and South Lancashire as well as Lancashire)

On 23andMe, my location matches (I am on V5 if that has any effect on this, whilst my brother is on an earlier chip) -

United Kingdom

1. Greater Manchester - I have ancestry from Manchester and Oldham on my dad's side.
    2. Greater London - My great grandfather was born in London, although his dad's side were originally from Hertfordshire and his mum's were originally from Lancashire and Cumbria in England and County Cork in Ireland.
    3. Lancashire - I'm from Lancashire and a large part of my ancestry is from the (traditional) county of Lancashire.
    4. Merseyside - I have some ancestry from various parts of what is now Merseyside.
    5. West Yorkshire - I have ancestry from Lancashire that is close to the modern day border with West Yorkshire.
    6. West Midlands - I have some ancestry from Shropshire on my mum's side.
    7. Tyne and Wear - No known ancestry from the region although some of my Cumbrian relatives had family who lived there so there might be some sort of link. An ancestor might also have been from the region originally as well.
    8. South Yorkshire - No known ancestry.
    9. Glasgow City - No known ancestry but a close genetic relative has many links to Glasgow and it is possible that I have some unknown ancestry from Glasgow via that line.
    10. Cumbria - Known ancestry on both sides, and from many different areas of the county including both Cumberland and Westmorland which were the former counties that now make up the bulk of Cumbria.

Ireland

1. County Cork - I have some ancestry from County Cork on my dad's side.
    2. County Clare - No known ancestry.
    3. County Dublin - I have ancestors on both sides from County Dublin.
    4. County Tipperary - No known ancestry.
    5. County Kerry - No known ancestry.
    6. County Mayo - No known ancestry.
    7. County Donegal - An ancestor was born here, but his dad was an English soldier and his mum is unknown.
    8. County Galway - No known ancestry.
    9. County Leitrim - No known ancestry.

On 23andMe, my brother's location matches -

United Kingdom

1. Lancashire
    2. Greater Manchester
    3. Greater London
    4. Merseyside
    5. West Yorkshire
    6. West Midlands
    7. South Yorkshire
    8. Cumbria
    9. Glasgow City
    10. Hull - Some relatives on my mum's side moved there but no known ancestry.

Ireland

1. County Dublin
    2. County Cork
    3. County Donegal
    4. County Galway
    5. County Kerry
    6. County Tipperary
    7. County Mayo
    8. County Clare
    9. County Limerick - No known ancestry
    10. County Longford - No known ancestry

I would say 23andMe is more accurate as it shows more of my ancestry in general although both miss out recent counties of both the UK and Ireland where my ancestors were from such as Suffolk and Gloucestershire in England, Merionethshire in Wales, counties Meath, Roscommon and Cavan in Ireland and Armagh in Northern Ireland.
    Last edited by Stephen1986; 12-12-2020 at 01:42 AM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen1986 For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (12-12-2020),  lana6765 (12-12-2020),  Stefanie (12-12-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    For me, with regard to autosomal DNA, AncestryDNA works best, but 23andMe and FTDNA aren't too far off with their estimates.

Ancestry DNA ethnicity estimate_rms2_12 Sep 2020.jpg rms2_23andMe_British & Irish regional matches_12 Dec 2020.jpg rms2_myOrigins Version 3_22 Sep 2020.jpg

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Adam A (12-13-2020),  lana6765 (12-12-2020),  Stefanie (12-12-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast