Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast

Thread: MyHeritage new region update has been released, post your new results here.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Geborgenheit View Post
    I am not impressed with their regions. They have given me a long list of regions starting from Central Europe (Czech Republic, Austria) to Russia. Basically, they just see that I am Eastern European and can't say anything precisely.
    At the same time there are people with one definitive ancestry, with a tree going back 5+ generations in the same place, which get none of the regions you got, which kind of just shows how it doesn't work out, especially if your reference groups are bad or its based on emigrants primarily. Because that effect I see mainly with Europeans which actually reside in the same place their ancestors were coming from, a rather small region, from which no big scale migration to the USA took place. Yet its exactly these people which would be the best reference for that specific ancestry, they are the reference themselves, but don't get the right regions, some none at all!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

Geborgenheit (05-04-2021),  MatAust21 (05-05-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian, Eastern Slavic
    Nationality
    Bulgarian
    mtDNA (M)
    U

Bulgaria
    Quote Originally Posted by MatAust21 View Post
    An update to their ethnicity estimates is indeed long overdue. Even if they don't add new reference populations, they could at least work on their algorithm. Their current estimates are just plain bad for my family.

It would be nice if a Facebook user asked them via direct message, and shared the reply with us. I would do it myself, but I don't have an account.
    To be honest , I donít expect it to be soon at all. Plus , I highly doubt many of my DNA matches, shared segments , pile up areas e.t.c. They have so much work to do
    . Thereís some progress with the genetic group I canít deny that but based on the waiting I highly doubt the ethnicity update will be soon.... I even wonder if itís gonna be this year 😀.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bul For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (05-04-2021),  MatAust21 (05-05-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    Let me give a slightly different judgement. On their own data my ethnic estimate is surprisingly correct, indeed the best of anything I've seen (much better than 23 & me, not to mention ftdna). In fact, all my attested roots in the 4 last generations are there or are not far (Normandy, Germany and The Netherlands blended in the first region, Orkneys not so far from the English region coupled with Aberdeen as a genetic group at a high confidence level, and even my Finnish g-g-mother has been detected). Obviously, in detail, there would be some reasons to complain. But if I decide to see the glass half full rather than half empty, I have to admit that in my case it is rather brilliant. And about the matches, 3 of my known close relatives (two Brits, one American) have been tested, and they all are in my extended family on MH. What more could I expect from a commercial company and 700.000 SNPs?

Capture.JPG
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

Finn (05-04-2021),  JMcB (05-04-2021),  MatAust21 (05-05-2021),  rober_tce (05-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian, Eastern Slavic
    Nationality
    Bulgarian
    mtDNA (M)
    U

Bulgaria
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    Let me give a slightly different judgement. On their own data my ethnic estimate is surprisingly correct, indeed the best of anything I've seen (much better than 23 & me, not to mention ftdna). In fact, all my attested roots in the 4 last generations are there or are not far (Normandy, Germany and The Netherlands blended in the first region, Orkneys not so far from the English region coupled with Aberdeen as a genetic group at a high confidence level, and even my Finnish g-g-mother has been detected). Obviously, in detail, there would be some reasons to complain. But if I decide to see the glass half full rather than half empty, I have to admit that in my case it is rather brilliant. And about the matches, 3 of my known close relatives (two Brits, one American) have been tested, and they all are in my extended family on MH. What more could I expect from a commercial company and 700.000 SNPs?

Capture.JPG
    This sounds great, I'm happy for you!
    I don't have any close or extended matches. Some of my closest matches are on the 15th cromosome.
    41.9 CM, 35.9 largest segment
    39.9 , 33.9 largest segment
    one single 33.9 CM segment
    there are a few more. They are at the same place on the chromosome browser but do not triangulate. None of them. I know it's a pile up area but there should be some that match eachother. I have noticed the same thing with some other chromosomes, for example i have a couple of matches on chromosome 1, same place, same sagments ( 22.4 cm) and none of them is a shared match neither they triangulate.
    Another thing is the usual *a child of parent to have more shared DNA with me than the parent itself* Ok it's probably part of their algorithm, and the *genetic lottary* but i don't see this on Ancestry for example.
    Honestly , matches from the areas I'm interested in are more on MH . Unfortunately they are too distant and I suspect many of them to be false positives. I do find the genetical groups a good improvement though and hope there will be a good ethnicity update somewhere in time....
    Last edited by Bul; 05-04-2021 at 02:14 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bul For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (05-04-2021),  Riverman (05-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    At the same time there are people with one definitive ancestry, with a tree going back 5+ generations in the same place, which get none of the regions you got, which kind of just shows how it doesn't work out, especially if your reference groups are bad or its based on emigrants primarily. Because that effect I see mainly with Europeans which actually reside in the same place their ancestors were coming from, a rather small region, from which no big scale migration to the USA took place. Yet its exactly these people which would be the best reference for that specific ancestry, they are the reference themselves, but don't get the right regions, some none at all!
    There have always been migrations, I think that there are not many people with all ancestors coming from the same place in 5 generations, especially female ancestors, but this is based on my subjective experience... It seems, MyHeritage is following the same approach as 23&me giving regions where ancestors of most matches lived, not necessarily from where the migration started. For example, Czech Republic in my case are not Czech ancestors, but more likely Rusyns who migrated from Transcarpathia to Czech lands.

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Ukraine
    Let me give a slightly different judgement. On their own data my ethnic estimate is surprisingly correct, indeed the best of anything I've seen (much better than 23 & me, not to mention ftdna). In fact, all my attested roots in the 4 last generations are there or are not far (Normandy, Germany and The Netherlands blended in the first region, Orkneys not so far from the English region coupled with Aberdeen as a genetic group at a high confidence level, and even my Finnish g-g-mother has been detected)
    You just have luck having your ancestors. If your g-g-mother was Lithuanian instead of Finnish, you would have a much more unclear result. And again you have luck with Normandy. Let's say your ancestors were from Alsace instead. In that case, you would stay forever in the fog and not understand if they were French or German or Swiss or even northern Italian. But again, you have a lot of luck with your ancestors.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Geborgenheit For This Useful Post:

Riverman (05-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

There have always been migrations, I think that there are not many people with all ancestors coming from the same place in 5 generations, especially female ancestors, but this is based on my subjective experience... It seems, MyHeritage is following the same approach as 23&me giving regions where ancestors of most matches lived, not necessarily from where the migration started. For example, Czech Republic in my case are not Czech ancestors, but more likely Rusyns who migrated from Transcarpathia to Czech lands.
    Well, I have branches in my tree which were in one region, a couple of villages, for at least 400 years. Probably one in 100 at the highest coming from elsewhere, sometimes none at all. Then there are branches which were more mobile, yet even those didn't move outside of a geographical range which would qualify as a genetic groups region perfectly. Actually, MyHeritage even made up a region exactly for one of my genetic relatives, where 5+ generations of his ancestors lived, and there are others in this group with less than half their ancestry from this region, but he's not. That's absurd.

Concerning your Czech matches, they might be real, because I have Bohemian relatives, both Czech and German, which moved to the Ukraine and I have matches there from these people. Some have a good tree, and they have it. So its not a given its Rusyn ancestry in Czechs, it could be Bohemian-Moravian Czechs and Germans. Did you know these Volhynian Czechs:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechs_in_Ukraine

Many moved back to the Czech Republic, some to take the houses the Germans left, but some others, especially those in mixed marriages, were staying in the Ukraine. Probably some of the mixing results again in a mixed mode genetic group, for which MyHeritage has no clue and can't tell apart in which direction people moved. In any case, both Czechs and Germans settled in different times in the East, in different places, which creates genetic networks which again can be recognised by such clusters, like those MH is playing around. So it might be real in your case, actually. There were also Bohemian Germans and Czechs participating in the Russian German settlement, which happened even earlier. So unless you have a tree which goes back to before these times, you never can be sure - and even then there are the irregular cases (adoption, NPE etc.).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

Geborgenheit (05-04-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    You just have luck having your ancestors. If your g-g-mother was Lithuanian instead of Finnish, you would have a much more unclear result. And again you have luck with Normandy. Let's say your ancestors were from Alsace instead. In that case, you would stay forever in the fog and not understand if they were French or German or Swiss or even northern Italian. But again, you have a lot of luck with your ancestors.
    Of course, you are right. But for me, who for so long have been practising the companies-bashing, it's a weird feeling to be obliged to keep measured and careful with this one.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

Geborgenheit (05-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Of course, you are right. But for me, who for so long have been practising the companies-bashing, it's a weird feeling to be obliged to keep measured and careful with this one.
    It works for British better than for others, but even then, yet even more for almost everybody else, they deliver results which are not even comparable for people from the same region, the same family, the same generation. The range of the results is so big, you might as well call it gambling.

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Well, I have branches in my tree which were in one region, a couple of villages, for at least 400 years. Probably one in 100 at the highest coming from elsewhere, sometimes none at all. Then there are branches which were more mobile, yet even those didn't move outside of a geographical range which would qualify as a genetic groups region perfectly. Actually, MyHeritage even made up a region exactly for one of my genetic relatives, where 5+ generations of his ancestors lived, and there are others in this group with less than half their ancestry from this region, but he's not. That's absurd.

Concerning your Czech matches, they might be real, because I have Bohemian relatives, both Czech and German, which moved to the Ukraine and I have matches there from these people. Some have a good tree, and they have it. So its not a given its Rusyn ancestry in Czechs, it could be Bohemian-Moravian Czechs and Germans. Did you know these Volhynian Czechs:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechs_in_Ukraine

Many moved back to the Czech Republic, some to take the houses the Germans left, but some others, especially those in mixed marriages, were staying in the Ukraine. Probably some of the mixing results again in a mixed mode genetic group, for which MyHeritage has no clue and can't tell apart in which direction people moved. In any case, both Czechs and Germans settled in different times in the East, in different places, which creates genetic networks which again can be recognised by such clusters, like those MH is playing around. So it might be real in your case, actually. There were also Bohemian Germans and Czechs participating in the Russian German settlement, which happened even earlier. So unless you have a tree which goes back to before these times, you never can be sure - and even then there are the irregular cases (adoption, NPE etc.).
    In my experience, the least mobile are people who are tied to land - farmers. I have one such lineage who went to the same church for 300 years, but otherwise I see a lot of mobility for city inhabitants: merchants, artisans... not even speaking about nobles. Honestly, I haven't known much about Czechs in Ukraine. Interestingly, I have 30 matches from Czechia on MyHeritage and judging by names they are Czechs, some do indicate Ukraine in their family trees with ancestors from Transcarpathia, Lviv and weirdly Poltava area.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geborgenheit For This Useful Post:

Nino90 (05-04-2021),  Riverman (05-04-2021)

Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast