Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: MyHeritage new region update has been released, post your new results here.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z282>Z91>YP5000
    mtDNA (M)
    H1q2

Spain Basque Andalucia
    My "new" estimate with 23andMe raw data:

Southern Spain, France and Algeria
    Spanish in Southern Spain and some in France and Algeria
    Confidence level: High
    Spain
    Spanish in Spain
    Confidence level: Medium

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mokordo For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (02-28-2021),  Jessie (02-28-2021),  JMcB (02-28-2021),  laulei (02-28-2021),  Luso (02-28-2021),  Tįltos (02-28-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster Ireland County Roscommon Ireland Connacht
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    My dad has a lot of Genetic Communities in this update! Very interesting.

Wonder where the southern usa connection is coming from? We have no known connection to there.
    I get that as well. Not really ancestral but more diaspora like some of the other GCs.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-28-2021),  mokordo (02-28-2021),  Trelvern (02-28-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster Ireland County Roscommon Ireland Connacht
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    It's a continual trend though that keeps appearing in my results. It could be possible that is coming from a Grandparent or Great Grandparent and may have been passed through their generation.
    I really would not take these traces too seriously. I get 2.8% Ashkenazi and daughter gets this.

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
    89.5%
    Ireland
    England and Ireland
    Eastern Ireland and England
    USA (New York City, Philadelphia, Boston and Chicago) and Australia
    East European
    7.6%
    Greek and South Italian
    1.8%
    ASIA
    West Asian
    1.1%

MyHeritage is in serious need of an update as all the companies previously gave people like me trace amounts that are now gone. MyHeritage hasn't updated since it started. If you've been into genetics for as long as I have you would know a lot of these trace ancestries are not accurate. When I first got my dna done I was fascinated by the Amerindian I got in Gedmatch which I also got on FTDNA and my brother got on 23&Me. With updates both myself and brother no longer get this. Trace amounts come and go. Paper trail is the way to go especially if you have long term ancestry in a particular region.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

altvred (02-28-2021),  FionnSneachta (02-28-2021),  jadegreg (02-28-2021),  JMcB (02-28-2021),  Tįltos (02-28-2021),  Trelvern (02-28-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y33
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-Y6938

Russian Federation Russia Tatarstan Arms Russia Mordovia Timurid
    So far, the update failed to live up to the hype MyHeritage generated. The ethnicity estimates are way off for me (confusing Ashkenazi and Southern Italian/Greek) and the genetic groups are very vague and often inaccurate.

I'm getting the same confidence level for the Western European and Eastern European Ashkenazi groups, very disappointing since I happen to know that all of my Jewish ancestors lived in Belarus/Ukraine for the past 300 years or so.

The Eastern European genetic groups are even worse. What the hell is the difference between "East Europeans in Ukraine and some in Russia and Belarus" and "East Europeans in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland, Latvia and in Lithuania"? I think there's even a genetic group that includes people with ancestry from the Baltics and Chuvashia, just absurd.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to altvred For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (02-28-2021),  Jessie (02-28-2021),  JMcB (02-28-2021),  mokordo (02-28-2021),  passenger (03-01-2021)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    I really would not take these traces too seriously. I get 2.8% Ashkenazi and daughter gets this.

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
    89.5%
    Ireland
    England and Ireland
    Eastern Ireland and England
    USA (New York City, Philadelphia, Boston and Chicago) and Australia
    East European
    7.6%
    Greek and South Italian
    1.8%
    ASIA
    West Asian
    1.1%

MyHeritage is in serious need of an update as all the companies previously gave people like me trace amounts that are now gone. MyHeritage hasn't updated since it started. If you've been into genetics for as long as I have you would know a lot of these trace ancestries are not accurate. When I first got my dna done I was fascinated by the Amerindian I got in Gedmatch which I also got on FTDNA and my brother got on 23&Me. With updates both myself and brother no longer get this. Trace amounts come and go. Paper trail is the way to go especially if you have long term ancestry in a particular region.
    True to a point, but if you get matches with that ancestry then that adds more weight to it. Also one might have a haplogroup that is also associated with a particular group. So if either one of these criteria are met along with it pretty much showing up across tests then I would say this represents some distant ancestry that got diluted down.
    Maternal Grandfather's mtDNA: K2b1

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tįltos For This Useful Post:

Jessie (02-28-2021),  JMcB (02-28-2021),  laulei (02-28-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    I have to say with 23andme's update I only get a 0.1 of WANA broadly. My mom's went down to 3.5 WANA, and my daughter now gets 1.9%. In her split view it shows that she got all of her WANA from me despite mine being basically nonexistent with the update. Otherwise it's been there for me across all tests, except now for this company.

With that said I have to say I'm actually pretty impressed with My Heritage. I think between using FTDNA and 23andme, and then Ancestry for my aunt this website wins hands down in being user friendly, easy to navigate, and breaking down one's matches to get a good handle on how they are connected. I was also pleasantly surprised to find several matches that I haven't seen before. My top match is to a first cousin once removed-2nd cousin. His surname is the same as my paternal grandmother's maiden name! So I am super excited to reach out to him and see if will or has already Y DNA tested. Will be very interesting to see as this line is Rusyn from eastern Slovakia.

Now to these ancestry results. They are a little strange, but not far off the mark. I do think the North and West European is way too inflated, and with the Balkan being way more than 23andme and not assigning me Albania or Greece, but Romania instead is weird. I score no Italian! 23andme amped my Italian up to 23.5% with their update and pretty much took all my WANA away.

Anyhow here is the results.
    North and West European
    43.9%
    Northern Switzerland, Southern Germany, Eastern France and Western Austria
    Balkan
    33.7%
    Romania
    East European
    20.2%
    Ashkenazi Jewish
    2.2%
    ADDITIONAL GENETIC GROUPS
    Southern Wales and Southern and Western England
    Lithuania and Poland
    Pennsylvania
    Western and Central England and Southeastern Wales
    Slovakia and Hungary
    Western Puerto Rico
    Albania
    Southern Italy and Poland
    Southern Wales and Western England
    Germany
    Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Is your 23&me upload v3?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-28-2021),  Tįltos (03-11-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    True to a point, but if you get matches with that ancestry then that adds more weight to it. Also one might have a haplogroup that is also associated with a particular group. So if either one of these criteria are met along with it pretty much showing up across tests then I would say this represents some distant ancestry that got diluted down.
    Yes that would add more weight but many people are chasing trace results which aren't actual ancestry. Things like Baltic are very common in trace amounts and seem to appear in people's results all over Europe. Anyway a lot of people can attest to the fact that results have changed a lot over recent years. On FTDNA both myself and brother had significant Southeast European percentages i.e. me (9%) and he got (11%). Last update it all went. I knew it was incorrect as it wasn't in our results when we first tested with FTDNA and I know my ancestry well. Now we have both gained trace amounts from other areas.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (03-01-2021),  jadegreg (02-28-2021),  JMcB (02-28-2021),  Tįltos (03-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    A number of Eastern Sephardim (from Turkey, Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia etc.) were incorporated into the Jewish community in Austria. That's definitely a possibility. Have you tested with or uploaded to any other services?
    23andme gives me 99.5% Ashkenazi with traces of Italian and Egyptian. DNA land gives me 88% Ashkenazi with the rest mostly South-West European and Arabian. GEDMatch K13 pretty much falls in line with Ashkenazi, slightly North Atlantic + West Med + East Med. shifted.
    I'll try to get my dad (the Austrian side) to take a test once he gets here to the US. He's in Israel, they don't do genetic tests there and the airport is closed.
    Last edited by Nura; 02-28-2021 at 06:12 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nura For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-28-2021),  passenger (02-28-2021),  Tįltos (03-11-2021)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Nura View Post
    23andme gives me 99.5% Ashkenazi with traces of Italian and Egyptian. DNA land gives me 88% Ashkenazi with the rest mostly South-West European and Arabian. GEDMatch K13 pretty much falls in line with Ashkenazi, slightly North Atlantic + West Med + East Med. shifted.
    I'll try to get my dad (the Austrian side) to take a test once he gets here to the US. He's in Israel, they don't do genetic tests there and the airport is closed.
    Sounds good. The more testing the better. The MH results could simply be overlap due to similarity between the Ashkenazi and Sephardic reference pops, but like you said, it does seem a bit high. 23andme is relatively reliable, but they could conceivably misread minor Sephardic ancestry as Ashkenazi. DNA.land is pretty useless.

You might want to try uploading to FTDNA if you haven't. IMO They're not as good for Sephardim as they used to be, but they seem to be pretty accurate for Ashkenazim, so if you get a considerable non-Ashkenazi percentage it could be a useful clue.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-28-2021),  Tįltos (03-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Byzantine Empire Russian Federation Israel Russia Imperial
    Genetic groups for my mother

I do not find it very accurate, none of these group is accurate, it can be only accurate at country level.

Russia, Ukraine, Belarus is basically Western Russians group, it is not accurate, we have Northern Russian ancestry and Russian Cossack ancestry, but not from Western Russia, like from Moscow, Pskov, Orel.

Poland and Germany group is strange, since Poland and Germany in same group, when Poles and Germans are mostly genetically different. Additionally there are German surnames in Common Surnames of this genetic groups, which does not make any sense.

Western Ukraine group is also innacurate, because we do not have any known Ukrainian ancestry and for some reason in popular surnames for this ethnicity there are Polish and German surnames ( what?? ).

They did not even detected any Balkan group for my mother, when it is such recent and should be easily detectable

As a reminder my mother ancestry before DNA testing was known to be 3/8 Polish, 2/8 Siberian Russian, 2/8 Bulgarian, 1/8 Southern Russian Cossack
    Last edited by CyrylBojarski; 02-28-2021 at 07:33 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyrylBojarski For This Useful Post:

altvred (02-28-2021),  Bul (03-01-2021),  Tįltos (03-11-2021)

Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast