Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1252606162

Thread: MyHeritage new region update has been released, post your new results here.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Geborgenheit View Post
    In my experience, the least mobile are people who are tied to land - farmers. I have one such lineage who went to the same church for 300 years, but otherwise I see a lot of mobility for city inhabitants: merchants, artisans...
    That's true, but most people's ancestors were farmers pre-1850. The further back you go, the higher the percentage for farmers. They also had, on average, more surviving offspring than townspeople and city dwellers.
    Actually most reference samples should come from farmers, which represent the local people the best.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

Geborgenheit (05-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England Devon Ireland
    Regions.png

Though I don't put a lot of stock in my MyHeritage ethnicity estimate, their genetic groups do generally match up with other sites for me.

Some of my regions don't show up, but County Mayo, Liverpool and Essex/South East/East England always do!

Edit: Devon is one of the areas which never pops up. But I've not been able to find my Devon ancestor's parents. It's possible they weren't from there.
    Last edited by lana6765; 05-04-2021 at 07:28 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

Cascio (05-05-2021),  passenger (05-04-2021),  timberwolf (05-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    It works for British better than for others, but even then, yet even more for almost everybody else, they deliver results which are not even comparable for people from the same region, the same family, the same generation. The range of the results is so big, you might as well call it gambling.
    Most of my communities are migratory.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    Regions.png

Though I don't put a lot of stock in my MyHeritage ethnicity estimate, their genetic groups do generally match up with other sites for me.

Some of my regions don't show up, but County Mayo, Liverpool and Essex/South East/East England always do!

Edit: Devon is one of the areas which never pops up. But I've not been able to find my Devon ancestor's parents. It's possible they weren't from there.
    Wow that is very interesting. I must do a comparison with my families results!

Very good for you anyway.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

lana6765 (05-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Mum:

Dad:

Myself:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

lana6765 (05-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian, German, Slav
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

Italy Germany Poland Brazil Rio Grande do Sul Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    Let me give a slightly different judgement. On their own data my ethnic estimate is surprisingly correct, indeed the best of anything I've seen (much better than 23 & me, not to mention ftdna). In fact, all my attested roots in the 4 last generations are there or are not far (Normandy, Germany and The Netherlands blended in the first region, Orkneys not so far from the English region coupled with Aberdeen as a genetic group at a high confidence level, and even my Finnish g-g-mother has been detected). Obviously, in detail, there would be some reasons to complain. But if I decide to see the glass half full rather than half empty, I have to admit that in my case it is rather brilliant. And about the matches, 3 of my known close relatives (two Brits, one American) have been tested, and they all are in my extended family on MH. What more could I expect from a commercial company and 700.000 SNPs?

Attachment 44561
    Nice and clean results, good for you!

It seems to be hit or miss with MyHeritage based on a handful of examples I have seen. Some are very good, like yours, but very frequently others are really bad, and that is a serious problem, the lack of consistency.

Unfortunately, in my family's case, our results work in a sort of gedmatch oracle-like way, and don't really reflect the areas of recent ancestry.

In my personal case, they give me double digits of Sardinia and Ashkenazi Jewish, both of which should be 0% based on my paper trail, and are indeed 0% with other companies. To compensate for how southern this makes my genetic profile look, they exaggerate my Eastern European score to 40%, which is way more than It should be. I score around 10-15% Eastern European with the other companies, which is closer to the truth. They also give me less Central-Western/Northwestern European and (non-Sardinian) Italian than the usual and expected.

Overall, it's a real mess. They need an urgent update in my opinion, even if it is only a change in the algorithm, so that monstrosities like my own results can be prevented, and results that make sense, like yours, become the rule.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MatAust21 For This Useful Post:

Riverman (05-05-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    ^^ As the scientific leader of MH is also the founder of DNA.land (Yaniv Ehrlich) I'm tempted to think that they use on MH an algorithm inspired by the one that is used on dna.land, namely a STRUCTURE-based one written by Joe Pickrell. If I'm right, there are then not many reasons for optimism as to their ability to improve it. All the algos based on STRUCTURE have shown the same difficulties when it comes to working in contexts of high overlapping. Don't make me say what I didn't. I decided for one time to see the glass half full, but I stay fully aware that it is half empty.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

Cascio (05-05-2021),  laulei (05-05-2021),  MatAust21 (05-05-2021),  Riverman (05-05-2021)

Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1252606162