Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: British and Irish Folks - Who are your closest continental European matches?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus191 View Post
    Some areas are known to be pretty genetically homogenous - Orkneys for example. It could be there was a Scandinavian sailor here or there in some Brits ancestry, but I don't think it can account for the large scale unusually high Scandinavian matches for Brits/Irish descended people on MyHeritage. I think it must be pile up /excess IBD/IBS areas that other companies like Ancestry deliberately ignore.
    I initially matched some people in a pileup zone, but the 16-17cM segments aren’t pileup zones. Also I matched a couple on Finnish people and a Ukrainian on 23andme!
    Last edited by lana6765; 04-05-2021 at 11:19 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    I came up with a few possible explanations for the matches we’re getting, besides Vikings:

- Irish emigration to Russia (I mentioned this on another thread): https://www.historytoday.com/miscell...a-ireland-love
    - Nordic immigration to Britain/Nordic sailors. Apparently there are a number of Nordic churches in London: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_churches_in_London
    - Polish immigration to Britain. Polish immigration has been happening for hundreds of years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poles_...United_Kingdom

There are possibly other explanations, but these are what I am currently aware of.
    Last edited by lana6765; 04-06-2021 at 12:03 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly British Isles

United Kingdom Ireland France Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    I came up with a few possible explanations for the matches we’re getting, besides Vikings:

- Irish emigration to Russia (I mentioned this on another thread): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Russians
    - Nordic immigration to Britain/Nordic sailors. Apparently there are a number of Nordic churches in London: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_churches_in_London
    - Polish immigration to Britain. Polish immigration has been happening for hundreds of years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poles_...United_Kingdom

There are possibly other explanations, but these are what I am currently aware of.
    Another I had was there was some French Huguenot emigration to Sweden and Denmark, those being Protestant countries and safe refuges at the time. Many Brits who have London, south and eastern ancestry, and many Irish who have northern irish or Dublin ancestry in particular will have some Huguenot ancestry.
    Last edited by Rufus191; 04-06-2021 at 12:04 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rufus191 For This Useful Post:

lana6765 (04-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly British Isles

Another I had was there was some French Huguenot emigration to Sweden and Denmark, those being Protestant countries and safe refuges at the time. Many Brits who have London, south and eastern ancestry, and many Irish who have northern irish or Dublin ancestry in particular will have some Huguenot ancestry.
    That would also include Norway, as part of the Denmark-Norway kingdom, and Finland as part of Sweden at that time.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

I have a new Swedish match.

This match matches my best Finnish match!

DNA Match quality
    0.5% (36.5‎ cM)
    Shared DNA
    Shared segments
    23.3‎ cM
    Largest segment

Ancestral surnames
    Swedish and Finnish

Ethnicity estimate
    Scandinavian
    81.4%
    Finnish
    18.6%

Genetic groups
    Swedish and American (I get American too. This is likely is where great aunts and uncles migrated to).
    Last edited by lana6765; 04-06-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

I did not realise that. I don't know if I have Huguenot ancestors, but there's a couple of surnames that may have Huguenot roots.

But I think there's a chance one of my ancestors may have a more direct connection with a Nordic country. Some of my Essex ancestors apparently sailed to France, America and Australia as they were sailors themselves.

Come to think of it, my family may have shipped some Scandinavians and Finnish people to America. It's the right time period. I have an example of a couple who met on a ship. The man was a sailor and the woman was a British woman on her way to Australia.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/articl...id=28&zoneid=6

They did pass through London!
    Last edited by lana6765; 04-06-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly British Isles

Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    I did not realise that. I don't know if I have Huguenot ancestors, but there's a couple of surnames that may have Huguenot roots.

But I think there's a chance one of my ancestors may have a more direct connection with a Nordic country. Some of my Essex ancestors apparently sailed to France, America and Australia as they were sailors themselves.

Come to think of it, my family may have shipped some Scandinavians and Finnish people to America. It's the right time period. I have an example of a couple who met on a ship. The man was a sailor and the woman was a British woman on her way to Australia.
    Sometimes you can have huguenot ancestors but it will be completely not obvious, for instance I have an example where Le Fevre changed to Smith - direct translation. In those cases you may only get clues from wills if you are lucky to find them. I am pretty sure many of my German matches are via my huguenot ancestry as I have traced genealogically several lines there and to find Germans with French surnames is not unusual. The movement of French people at that time, in two waves around 1570s and 1680s was fairly huge, probably in the hundreds of thousands of people, and left a huge dent on the French economy as many of those who left were skilled artisans. They also went to South Africa, the Caribbean (where there were several known Huguenots involved in piracy/privateering in alliance with Brits and the Dutch) and North America.
    Last edited by Rufus191; 04-06-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

Here are some examples of triangulation with foreign matches!

11cM
    Between me and two Norwegians!
    One matches me at 23.6cM

9.3cM
    Between me, a Finnish person and a Swede!
    Both are strong matches!

Finnish:
    0.4% (31.4‎ cM)
    Shared DNA
    Shared segments
    17.5‎ cM
    Largest segment

Swedish:
    DNA Match quality?
    0.5% (36.4‎ cM)
    Shared DNA
    Shared segments
    10.1‎ cM
    Largest segment

Ahhh

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

Another explanation: Gosch is really German and I have German ancestors who moved to Scandinavia.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

Some areas are known to be pretty genetically homogenous - Orkneys for example. It could be there was a Scandinavian sailor here or there in some Brits ancestry, but I don't think it can account for the large scale unusually high Scandinavian matches for Brits/Irish descended people on MyHeritage. I think it must be pile up /excess IBD/IBS areas that other companies like Ancestry deliberately ignore.
    Do you mean endogamous rather than homogenous? Perhaps this is true of smaller island communities, but I would imagine my ancestors weren’t particularly endogamous.

The reason is, having lived in well populated areas or cities, they would have had a lot of choice over marriage partners. I’m sure there’s an odd case of cousins marrying somewhere, but that’s true of almost everyone the world over. Recent generations, though all British or Irish, have married out of their communities.

My Irish sides lived in more rural areas, but even then they haven’t always lived in the same village. I suppose they could have been fairly homogenously Irish, but let’s not confuse that with endogamy or inbreeding.
    Last edited by lana6765; 05-23-2021 at 11:03 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast