Ethnicity
    Polish, Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>Z36>R-FT330613

United States of America Poland Greece Empire of Trebizond Greek Macedonia

What to make of British Isles/Scotland DNA in 100% Polish Results

Hello all, I've been looking at my mother's atdna results from both FTDNA and My Heritage and am very curious about her results when it comes to British/Scottish type DNA from both companies. My mother is from southern Poland with all four grandparents coming from the vicinity of Krakow.

Her FTDNA results are: 82% West Slavic 82%, Magyar 2%, England, Wales, and Scotland 15%, and some trace results around 1-2% from Baltic and Arabian Peninsula.
    Her My Heritage results: 52.7% Eastern European, 33% Balkan (her region of Poland coincides with the Balkan map) 7.5% Irish, Scottish, Welsh 6.8% Finnish.

As far as her matches are concerned, she seems to have a lot of matches with mainly Hungarian names on their trees, Czechs, Slovaks, most of all Poles, but then also Anglo type people from the US or Canada many of them with British, Scottish, and Irish type roots. I'm wondering what you guys think could be the most likely explanation for the British Isles/Celtic type results.

A) The region of Southern Poland and into Czech Republic, Hungary, Galicia has a Celtic background that would come up in modern results.

Historically there were Scots living in Poland for centuries in Krakow itself and along the Vistula river, where some of my mother's ancestors also lived. Many of these Scots were eventually absorbed into the local population and left an imprint on the local genetics. We do have a few distant matches who have a name in polish which can be translated as "Scott," but we know of no such connection to them at the moment.

C) These results are not to be taken seriously and it is very doubtful that we have any actual British or Scottish ancestors in the family.

Anyways, I'm curious as to your thoughts and what to look into to further investigate this result. Thanks.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marko47 For This Useful Post:

CyrylBojarski (01-20-2021),  JMcB (01-17-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-BY27799
    mtDNA (M)
    U4a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-YP1020*

Poland
    How deeply did you so the genealogy on her lines?
    R1a-Z282>Z280>CTS1211>Y35>CTS3402>Y33>CTS8816>Y2902>Y3 226>YP5224
    N1c-L1026>CTS10760>VL29>Z4908>L550>L1025>M2783>Z17902> L591>Y5582
    R1a-Z282>Z280>CTS1211>YP1019>YP1020*
    R1b-P312>U152>L2>DF103

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Does she have matches actually long term resident in UK/Ireland with English names? The US/Canada ones may have all sorts of mixed ancestry. Even in the UK too unless you can prove its purely native. I got my first job after graduation with a half Polish-half English family. And that was before the huge influx of Poles more recently, some of whom by now will have married into English or Scottish families.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-17-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Central Europe is often mixed with GB. So be careful

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G-L91
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

Until proven otherwise, I treat these trace ancestries shown by MyHeritage or FTDNA as either noise or something similar to the calculator oracles. I have trace Ireland and Druze on FTDNA which are extremely unlikely to be real.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to peloponnesian For This Useful Post:

Nqp15hhu (01-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Russian Federation Byzantine Empire Israel Russia Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko47 View Post
    Hello all, I've been looking at my mother's atdna results from both FTDNA and My Heritage and am very curious about her results when it comes to British/Scottish type DNA from both companies. My mother is from southern Poland with all four grandparents coming from the vicinity of Krakow.

Her FTDNA results are: 82% West Slavic 82%, Magyar 2%, England, Wales, and Scotland 15%, and some trace results around 1-2% from Baltic and Arabian Peninsula.
    Her My Heritage results: 52.7% Eastern European, 33% Balkan (her region of Poland coincides with the Balkan map) 7.5% Irish, Scottish, Welsh 6.8% Finnish.

As far as her matches are concerned, she seems to have a lot of matches with mainly Hungarian names on their trees, Czechs, Slovaks, most of all Poles, but then also Anglo type people from the US or Canada many of them with British, Scottish, and Irish type roots. I'm wondering what you guys think could be the most likely explanation for the British Isles/Celtic type results.

A) The region of Southern Poland and into Czech Republic, Hungary, Galicia has a Celtic background that would come up in modern results.

Historically there were Scots living in Poland for centuries in Krakow itself and along the Vistula river, where some of my mother's ancestors also lived. Many of these Scots were eventually absorbed into the local population and left an imprint on the local genetics. We do have a few distant matches who have a name in polish which can be translated as "Scott," but we know of no such connection to them at the moment.

C) These results are not to be taken seriously and it is very doubtful that we have any actual British or Scottish ancestors in the family.

Anyways, I'm curious as to your thoughts and what to look into to further investigate this result. Thanks.
    I am 68,75% Polish according to my family tree and I have 7% Great Britain on FTDNA, in previous version of FTDNA I had 17% Western Europe. I do not have known Polish ancestors from West Poland and all my Polish ancestors were minority in Ukraine and majority were moved from eastern part of Poland, no idea where it comes from, probably just similiarity

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyrylBojarski For This Useful Post:

Marko47 (01-24-2021),  Mis (01-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Which genetic groups has she in MyHeritage?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mariusz95 For This Useful Post:

Aiden (01-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England Devon Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko47 View Post
    How close are her closest matches from:
    Britain
    Ireland
    Norway
    Denmark
    The Netherlands
    Belgium

In addition:
    Sweden
    Germany (North)
    France (North)

These countries/ethnicities are closest to British/Scottish.

I think MyHeritage and FTDNA can be inaccurate for many people as well. I get 5% Greece and Balkans on FTDNA and 8% Greek and South Italian on MyHeritage.
    Last edited by lana6765; 01-20-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    23andme V5.9: 97.3% British and Irish, 2.3% Spanish and Portuguese, 0.2% Broadly Southern European, 0.2% Unassigned
    AncestryDNA 2020: 50% England & Northwestern Europe, 35% Ireland, 15% Scotland
    Paper trail to 1850s: County Mayo 25%, Essex 25%, London 15.625%, Hampshire/Southampton 12.5%, Lancashire/Liverpool 9.375%, Devon 6.25%, Suffolk 3.125%, County Cavan 3.125%, Gibraltar (military service)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>Z36>R-FT330613

Pretty extensively on her mother's side, but her father's side is not known as well. The maternal matches are plentiful and I can mostly distinguish them at the top. But the paternal people are harder to pinpoint and especially through the surname. I sort through a lot of the matches from the US or Canada, and the ones that have extensive trees don't usually have any Polish names on them. We had one distant match with the same surname as my maternal grandmother on Family Finder, from the same general area as our family, and unfortunately we did not match in terms of ydna. This guy was from E-V13 and our folks are from I-M257.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Greek
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>Z36>R-FT330613

From Great Britain, about 95 matches in total, some of them being Polish. But a good amount are purely British with no signs of Polish ancestry. This includes the top 3 or so matches, who start off with 60 cM and go to about 48 cM and in the 40s, 30s, and 20s. There are 130 from Sweden same thing as before, a lot with extensive family names, none of which being Polish. These begin at around 53 cM and range in the 40s, 30s, 20s. The other places you listed all have some matches, but by far the biggest groups are the Swedes, people from Great Britain, and the US and Canada. The last 2 are hard to distinguish, because a lot of them have Polish ancestry, but we definitely have several on ancestry that have colonial American pedigrees with no signs of Eastern European people.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast