Thread: A common 1.6 Mb Y-chromosomal inversion predisposes ... severe spermatogenic failure

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A9185
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2

Poland England Ireland Munster

A common 1.6 Mb Y-chromosomal inversion predisposes ... severe spermatogenic failure

A common 1.6 Mb Y-chromosomal inversion predisposes to subsequent deletions and severe spermatogenic failure in humans

Pille Hallast, Laura Kibena, Margus Punab, Elena Arciero, Siiri Rootsi, Marina Grigorova, Rodrigo Flores, Mark A. Jobling, Olev Poolamets, Kristjan Pomm, Paul Korrovits, Kristiina Rull, Yali Xue, Chris Tyler-Smith, Maris Laan

Abstract
    Male infertility is a prevalent condition, concerning 5-10% of men. So far, only some recurrent genetic factors have been described as confident contributors to spermatogenic failure. Here, we report the first re-sequencing study of the Y-chromosomal Azoospermia Factor c (AZFc) region combined with gene dosage and Y-haplogroup determination. In analysing 2,324 Estonian men, we uncovered a novel structural variant as a high-penetrant risk factor to male infertility. The Y lineage R1a1-M458, reported at >20% frequency in several European populations, carries a fixed ∼1.6 Mb long r2/r3 inversion destabilizing the AZFc region and predisposing to recurrent microdeletions. Such complex rearrangements were significantly enriched among severe oligozoospermia cases. The carrier vs non-carrier risk to spermatogenic failure was increased 8.6-fold (p = 6.0 10−4). The finding contributes to improved molecular diagnostics and clinical management of infertility. Carrier identification in young age will facilitate timely counselling and reproductive decision-making
    YFull: YF14620 (Dante Labs 2018)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pmokeefe For This Useful Post:

JLJD (01-12-2021),  Norfern-Ostrobothnian (01-07-2021),  Riverman (01-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Oufff lol

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP445
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2b

England Germany Palatinate Italy Sicily Ireland Munster Acadia Mercia
    I think I speak for all M458 carriers when I say, is this some kind of sick joke? Although it would explain the extreme bottleneck.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyP37 View Post
    I think I speak for all M458 carriers when I say, is this some kind of sick joke? Although it would explain the extreme bottleneck.
    Even if true, it would just mean a significantly higher risk for one specific cause of infertility.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

JoeyP37 (01-07-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A9185
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2

Poland England Ireland Munster
    The published version of that preprint is out:
    A common 1.6 mb Y-chromosomal inversion predisposes to subsequent deletions and severe spermatogenic failure in humans

Pille Hallast Is a corresponding author, Laura Kibena, Margus Punab, Elena Arciero, Siiri Rootsi, Marina Grigorova, Rodrigo Flores, Mark A Jobling, Olev Poolamets, Kristjan Pomm, Paul Korrovits, Kristiina Rull, Yali Xue, Chris Tyler-Smith, Maris Laan Is a corresponding author
    YFull: YF14620 (Dante Labs 2018)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pmokeefe For This Useful Post:

Riverman (04-13-2021)