Melungeon
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z57
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a

United States of America United Kingdom France Netherlands Germany Portugal
    Ancestry on paper: British, Irish, French, Swiss, Dutch, German, Spanish/Portuguese, African, Cherokee

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MR J For This Useful Post:

crazyladybutterfly (01-10-2021),  curiousII (01-21-2021),  JMcB (01-10-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Melungeon
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z57
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a

Quote Originally Posted by curiousII View Post
    That company goes heavy on NA and Melungeon.

Attachment 42417 Attachment 42418 Attachment 42419 Attachment 42420 Attachment 42421

#19, rubricated, is the lone NA hit that I get with that company, I've tested with them before; that hit is the only one highlighted in that manner. Dr. Yates was involved with the Melungeon study years ago, When Scotland was Jewish always gets a reaction when mentioned and I remember years ago reading on the DNA Consultants blog that Neanderthals were indigent to the New World continents. I think that's the only place I've seen that opinion.

That one NA match changed my Fingerprint Plus order from Fingerprint Plus to a Native American Fingerprint Plus order. It's all good.
    Gotcha. Ive heard about the Neanderthal thing from other sources but it was regarding remains of a mastodon in California and the idea that Neanderthal may have been present or something lol. I read their Melungeon study and how they came up with the reference. I guess since the Melungeon families intermarried so much they were able to average out their admixture and treat it like another ethnic group. I'm Melungeon descent from my father and we both got it in our tests so maybe there is something to it haha. I haven't read the book about Scotland but I've read other stuff by Dr. Yates that was quite good. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Hirschman's work. I stopped reading her book about Melungeons not even halfway through because it was purely fantastical.
    Ancestry on paper: British, Irish, French, Swiss, Dutch, German, Spanish/Portuguese, African, Cherokee

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR J For This Useful Post:

curiousII (01-10-2021),  JMcB (01-10-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Proto-Algorithm Changling
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>DF27>FT253000
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a

United States of America California Republic
    Quote Originally Posted by MR J View Post
    What did you think of your results?
    I was going to delete my post, replace with a music video or something but it's already been read. Thanks for your "thanks" but this was the first DNA test I took and I guess I'm permanently traumatized.

I couldn't get past the Australian Aborigine hit, that was nice but surprising. The NA match was a surprise, it's not repeated in any other test I've taken with any other company. I've mentioned it to one or two Indians at whatever place I work at and I usually get "find a different tribe" as a response, words to that effect. Whatever allele that is that indicates NA heritage must be Asian, also, or I'd have NA hits with Ancestry and Family Tree so I don't need to find another tribe at all.

Jewish was a shock, but then I find out that the Israel green diamond is from those citizens who moved there after the country was created. Took me a while to figure that out and I made quite a fool out of myself along the way. That ethnicity is trace amount on my Family Finder and, when DNA.Land was here, was roughly 3% or so. I've had discussions (or one, anyway) with a family who was so upset about the mother's 7% Jewish match that DNA.Land changed her results.

Then I found the videos on YouTube about all those youngsters opening up their Ancestry tests and going into shock reading their alien results for all their fans. Bursting into tears, laughing maniacally, screaming for Mom to help when Dad isn't Dad any more, I'm not alone.

So, anyway, after a few more thousands of dollars tossed at a whole bunch of other companies I'm comfortable with myself now because I'm just an algorithm phenomenon.

But seriously Geni is a wonder. I've had more fun with that site than I've had with all the rest. Now that we have genetics to work into family trees, if Geni's even only 80-odd per cent accurate with its profiles, we can really make progress piecing together who we are and how we got to wherever it is we are now. That's a lot of work putting a site like that together, kudos and all plus Findagrave, too. The ideas that humanity had care enough for their families to try to keep accurate records back 800 years ago shows love.
    Last edited by curiousII; 01-10-2021 at 07:43 AM.
    "Bid me discourse, I will enchant thine ears..."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to curiousII For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-10-2021),  MR J (01-10-2021),  Stefanie (01-10-2021),  timberwolf (01-10-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP1337
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Italy United Kingdom Poland Ukraine Russian Federation Germany
    I sent out my samples. I found it strange you put them in small envelope instead of vial.
    Eurogenes K-13
    East_Sicilian + Southeast_English + Southwest_Russian + West_German @ 1.258977

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Gotcha. Ive heard about the Neanderthal thing from other sources but it was regarding remains of a mastodon in California and the idea that Neanderthal may have been present or something lol. I read their Melungeon study and how they came up with the reference. I guess since the Melungeon families intermarried so much they were able to average out their admixture and treat it like another ethnic group. I'm Melungeon descent from my father and we both got it in our tests so maybe there is something to it haha. I haven't read the book about Scotland but I've read other stuff by Dr. Yates that was quite good. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Hirschman's work. I stopped reading her book about Melungeons not even halfway through because it was purely fantastical.
    I don't really follow Melungeon stuff in general except for the fact that Brent Kennedy was involved in it early on and I had a bit of contact with him when I was starting my project up. He tended to get a lot of roasting online. I think he was the first Kennedy to do a genealogical DNA test.

"DNA analyses have suggested that the Scottish Kennedys and their American descendants are likely of Sephardic ancestry.."

- Yates p73

The above Yates claim is totally debunked by modern DNA testing, they are Ui Neill and been in the Isles for thousands of years.
    Last edited by MacUalraig; 01-13-2021 at 09:21 PM.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP1337
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Italy United Kingdom Poland Ukraine Russian Federation Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    I don't really follow Melungeon stuff in general except for the fact that Brent Kennedy was involved in it early on and I had a bit of contact with him when I was starting my project up. He tended to get a lot of roasting online. I think he was the first Kennedy to do a genealogical DNA test.

"DNA analyses have suggested that the Scottish Kennedys and their American descendants are likely of Sephardic ancestry.."

- Yates p73
    This is interesting. On one of the primary services I had a strong match. One of my lineages is Scots-Irish. This woman claims she is the love child of JFK. That her mother had an affair with him. She was their babysitter. That being said my grandmother from this lineage looks exactly like a Jew. There have been tests where I have received up to 15% Jewish while others a lower result.
    Eurogenes K-13
    East_Sicilian + Southeast_English + Southwest_Russian + West_German @ 1.258977

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Melungeon
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z57
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a

- Yates p73
    Cool. I've read some of Brent's material. It's quite interesting. He did catch a lot of flack for some of his ideas. However, I believe it's a safe bet that many of his worst critics didn't do a seconds research on any of it. History is complicated. People moved around from place to place and changed names and stuff along the way. Jews, Romani, etc migrated all over Europe and eventually the U.S. Mix in seafarers and slave trades everywhere and quite the melting pot develops. There are French Huguenot lines that started off as North African Moors so it's not far fetched to think many UK families had a similar start.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Melungeon
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z57
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a

Quote Originally Posted by Mixed View Post
    I sent out my samples. I found it strange you put them in small envelope instead of vial.
    Yeah haha I thought that was strange too. I guess there's no concern about the material messing with the integrity of the sample. Couldn't hurt to ask them about it if you are concerned. They're very helpful.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MR J For This Useful Post:

Mixed (01-13-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Cool. I've read some of Brent's material. It's quite interesting. He did catch a lot of flack for some of his ideas. However, I believe it's a safe bet that many of his worst critics didn't do a seconds research on any of it. History is complicated. People moved around from place to place and changed names and stuff along the way. Jews, Romani, etc migrated all over Europe and eventually the U.S. Mix in seafarers and slave trades everywhere and quite the melting pot develops. There are French Huguenot lines that started off as North African Moors so it's not far fetched to think many UK families had a similar start.
    The Scottish Kennedys are R-M222 Ui Neill and the Irish (Tipperary-Wexford) group are R-L226 Dal Cais. I put the Yates quote in for entertainment only.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Melungeon
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z57
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a

The Scottish Kennedys are R-M222 Ui Neill and the Irish (Tipperary-Wexford) group are R-L226 Dal Cais. I put the Yates quote in for entertainment only.
    Brent's Kennedy line was apparently traced to that, which gave them the idea that maybe the JFK line had similar origins. It was considered a possibility, not a fact.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MR J For This Useful Post:

Mixed (01-13-2021)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast