H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Germany Bayern Italy Two Sicilies France

Stylistic contrast and narrative function in Cogad Gáedel re Gallaib

CLARE DOWNHAM
    University of Liverpool

ABSTRACT. The Battle of Clontarf was fought in A.D. 1014 by the forces of Brian Boru, over-king of Munster, and his allies against the forces of Viking Dublin, Leinster and their foreign allies. The saga ‘The War of the Irish and the Foreigners’ (Cogad Gáedel re Gallaib) was written about events leading up the conflict and gives a dramatic account of events on the battlefield. It became the archetype for many later legends about Clontarf. This paper explores stylistic contrast in the saga between the terse description of events in the early Viking Age and the florid account of the reign of Brian Boru. This contrast has led some readers to conclude that two separate narratives were conflated in Cogad Gáedel re Gallaib – the first being a summary of annals and the second being a saga. However this paper argues that there is a unity of purpose throughout the work and that its stylistic divisions were deliberately contrived to help glorify Brian’s victory at the Battle of Clontarf.

https://www.academia.edu/9363400/Sty...ard=view-paper
    Paper Trail: 42.25% English, 31.25% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German, 6.25% Sicilian & 1.5% French. Or: 86% British Isles, 6.25% German, 6.25% Sicilian & 1.5% French.
    LDNA(c): 86.3% British Isles (48.6% English, 37.7% Scottish & Irish), 7.8% NW Germanic, 5.9% Europe South (Aegean 3.4%, Tuscany 1.3%, Sardinia 1.1%)
    BigY 700: I1-Z140 >I-F2642 >Y1966 >Y3649 >A13241 >Y3647 >A13248 (circa 620 AD) >A13242/YSEQ (circa 765 AD) >FT80854 (circa 1650 AD).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

Bollox79 (01-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norse-Gael/Celto-Germani
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106DF98KingsCluster
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b2bIrish/Scan

Ireland Scotland Germany Norway England Northern Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
    CLARE DOWNHAM
    University of Liverpool

ABSTRACT. The Battle of Clontarf was fought in A.D. 1014 by the forces of Brian Boru, over-king of Munster, and his allies against the forces of Viking Dublin, Leinster and their foreign allies. The saga ‘The War of the Irish and the Foreigners’ (Cogad Gáedel re Gallaib) was written about events leading up the conflict and gives a dramatic account of events on the battlefield. It became the archetype for many later legends about Clontarf. This paper explores stylistic contrast in the saga between the terse description of events in the early Viking Age and the florid account of the reign of Brian Boru. This contrast has led some readers to conclude that two separate narratives were conflated in Cogad Gáedel re Gallaib – the first being a summary of annals and the second being a saga. However this paper argues that there is a unity of purpose throughout the work and that its stylistic divisions were deliberately contrived to help glorify Brian’s victory at the Battle of Clontarf.

https://www.academia.edu/9363400/Sty...ard=view-paper
    Thanks for the post - my mother's father's father's side and her maternal line both being from Munster/Tipperary... The O'Duibhirs and crew and maternal line from Lorrha/Dorrha in O'Kennedy territory in Northern Tipp... and her father's mother being from Ireland - the noble and exiled-later-turned-merchant Maguire family of Fermanagh... who ended up in Ontario. I need to follow up with one of Mom's distant cousins with half their family from Northern Brittany and Macquer ancestry (Maguire) descending from a Frances Maguire - as our McGuires were "Frances" McGuire/Maguires" in Ontario as well... the O'Sullivans Beare ended up in Northern Brittany there as well - and DNA matching wise we also have a connection to West Cork and O'Sullivans Beare, Hayes (O'Hay? Possibly a Conor Hayes from Ballagh same place as the Conor McEdmund O'Dwyers), O'Hanrahans, O'Driscolls of Skibbereen, O'Maloney/Moloney/Murrays and some other families from West Cork... that shows up in my generation on ancestry with an Irish O'Moloney cousin all their family from West Cork...

I.e. The Ó Dubhuidhir (Ó Duibhir or O'Dwyer) were noted as chiefs in in the barony of Kilnamanagh, County Tipperary. Keating (History) note the O Duibhidhir of Coill na Manach (Kilnamanagh) and Mag Cormain were the O'Brien's marshals of the hosts. I read that the O'Gormans or MacGormains were involved as well and under the Y-DNA project the O'Gormans, O'Ryans and O'Dwyers appear related via the Y-DNA and also O'Dwyers in west Clare married with O'Gormans as well more recently... looking at my Mother's cousin matching from the area!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Charlie Cathal Dubh
    Y-DNA: 4th GGF Johann Adam Weber/Weaver born 1784 in Pennsylvania. Sergeant, US 17th Inf, War of 1812: R1b-U106-DF98-S1911-S1894/S1900-S4004... FGC14817 shared with 6drif-3 - one of the "Headless" Roman Gladiator/Soldiers! Father Captain Martin Weber b. 1739 in Hesse(?), Germany, d. 1804 Dauphin, PA.

mtDNA: 3rd GGM Bridget O'Danagher b. 1843 Lorrha/Dorrha, Ireland - T2b2b - Pagan Migrant Icelander SSG-A3 (grave 4) - Sílastaðir in Eyjafjarðarsýsla, North Iceland is T2b2b.