Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone having problems with latest update of Ancestry Map?

Registered Users
    Sex

Is anyone having problems with latest update of Ancestry Map?

Living DNA has recently updated the data on the Ancestry Map. As a result the proportions of my DNA linked to UK locations has dramatically changed and don't fit the paper records I know about. Before I was mainly of Lincolnshire & Yorkshire origin which fits very well with what I know of my family. Now the percentage Yorkshire origins have dropped dramatically (my fathers family have lived in Yorkshire for at least 10 generations!). I have done Ancestry DNA recently as well and their data fits my family information very well.
    Equally my wife's DNA (she's from Northern Ireland) results have changed and don't fit the family details. Finally a cousin who has had her DNA done by Living DNA has also seen her results substantially change and again they don't make sense.
    Looks like a foul up by Living DNA to me. Has anyone seen the same thing with their recent update?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Danish, English, Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z58
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c

United States Grand Union Denmark England Ireland Leinster Ireland Munster
    I did a Living DNA test back in September 2020 (and my highest percentage allocation was for Lincolnshire). I just logged in today (Feb. 27) and haven't seen any changes in any of my results from September.

I have no idea when their last update was or if they ever intend to do any updates in the future.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bog Body For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (02-28-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    Likewise. Haven't seen any changes since update last March. GG69, would you be willing to post your before update and after results? Have you tried contacting LDNA to enquire? It could be a system glitch

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    I donít find living Dna to be that accurate.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I don’t find living Dna to be that accurate.
    It does seem to be all or nothing with LivingDNA. Hopefully, we'll actually see the Irish and Scottish populations from the 'One World" Project, one of these days. Maybe then you'll be happier with your results

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (03-02-2021),  Nqp15hhu (03-03-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    It does seem to be all or nothing with LivingDNA. Hopefully, we'll actually see the Irish and Scottish populations from the 'One World" Project, one of these days. Maybe then you'll be happier with your results
    My results are hugely variable on all four main sites, so i'm never really sure who to believe.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

My results are hugely variable on all four main sites, so i'm never really sure who to believe.
    That's just it, isn't it. All of the 'Big 5' (maybe with the exception of FTDNA) currently, have something positive to offer to your genetic picture (and obviously consequent negatives). With Ancestry its their repeated runs of their algorithm with jittered and variable size cM 'windows', large reference populations and genetic communities, with 23&me it's their very small 'windows' for their algorithm and modular structure for ethnivity selection, and with LivingDNA it's their attempt to provide a detailed breakdown of the UK (although we still have no idea on their implementation).However, all of them have massive room for improvement with several aspects of their piplines.

In your case, all of your inferences are from AncestryDNA uploads to the other sites, aren't they? If that is the case, it might be worth bearing in my mind that LivingDNA have never used the Omniexpress microarray, unlike FTDNA or MH (and therefore may have better procedures for dealing with it for ethnicity estimation). Indeed, the current AncestryDNA chip of alll providers offers the least overlap with the current LDNA chip, and therefore the filling in the gaps will be done by the most severe imputation of all platforms. It maybe possible that a more accurate picture would be produced of your genetic makeup, if you got the LDNA test........Possibly!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

Cunobelinus_T (03-04-2021),  Saetro (03-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

I have thought about buying the kit, and i'm sure it'd yield different results. Has anyone compared AncestryDNA uploads with purchased kits?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

I have thought about buying the kit, and i'm sure it'd yield different results. Has anyone compared AncestryDNA uploads with purchased kits?
    Well, I weakened in a particularly slow spell last year! But it was to compare with my existing families Ancestry uploads. In my case, v. little difference, with South Yorkshire, Central England and Lincolnshire having a little bit of jiggery pokery, if I recall correctly. However, I'm awaiting my entire families LDNA kits currently. Have been in 'testing' for over a week now. Should drop in the next few days. If you want I'll post a compare and contrast. Though I get a sneaky feeling, what maybe true of my kits (i.e. Southern Nancies), might not be true for a different geographical demographic within the UK
    Last edited by jadegreg; 03-04-2021 at 06:01 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

JMcB (03-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

As an addendum I had the Ancestry DNA Test done as well. It agrees with the original Living DNA Ancestry Map results closely so I suspect the second set of results from Living DNA are a glitch.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GG69 For This Useful Post:

jadegreg (03-05-2021),  JMcB (03-04-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast