Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When is the next Ancestry update?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Brazil Azores Italy Ladinia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mando1 View Post
    Oh yes, definitely! Ancestry has a huge database of participants. I should have been clearer. Some of the tools on GEDmatch can allow for much more specific ethnicity assignment.
    Well, for monoethnic people of East Asian, South Asian, African perhaps even Jewish or some Europeans their results might be pretty boring, like getting 90% or 100% of a single category. But Ancestry and 23andme do that because they know some things cannot be properly separated at the moment and because they focus on recent/modern ancestry in the last 500 years. AncestryDNA itself can be blamed for doing excessive separation where it's not possible, that's why it's a mess for some Northwestern Europeans like Scandinavians and they also try to separate things like Portuguese and Spanish or different Amerindians. They should be more cautious like 23andme and use more ''broad'' clusters for some groups. like Scandinavian for whole Scandinavia, just ''Iberian'' for combined Spanish & Portuguese and a single Native American category for all the Americas.

I think the majority of test takers would prefer to receive a broad estimate that at least is accurate instead of a mishmash of ethnicities that might not even be there like what happens on MyHeritage, GEDmatch calculators and most other tests.

I think in the future the companies might offer deeper pre-modern calculators

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Jatt
    Y-DNA (P)
    J...?

Canada Sikh Empire
    Quote Originally Posted by Caius Agrippa View Post
    Well, for monoethnic people of East Asian, South Asian, African perhaps even Jewish or some Europeans their results might be pretty boring, like getting 90% or 100% of a single category. But Ancestry and 23andme do that because they know some things cannot be properly separated at the moment and because they focus on recent/modern ancestry in the last 500 years. AncestryDNA itself can be blamed for doing excessive separation where it's not possible, that's why it's a mess for some Northwestern Europeans like Scandinavians and they also try to separate things like Portuguese and Spanish or different Amerindians. They should be more cautious like 23andme and use more ''broad'' clusters for some groups. like Scandinavian for whole Scandinavia, just ''Iberian'' for combined Spanish & Portuguese and a single Native American category for all the Americas.

I think the majority of test takers would prefer to receive a broad estimate that at least is accurate instead of a mishmash of ethnicities that might not even be there like what happens on MyHeritage, GEDmatch calculators and most other tests.

I think in the future the companies might offer deeper pre-modern calculators
    Yes, with time and more test subjects, these companies will offer deeper results. BTW, I wouldn't consider East Asians, South Asians and Africans to be "monoethnic" although their results on AncestryDNA, etc. may appear "monoethnic" (eg. 100% South Asian). Rather, these populations may be even more diverse than those native to the European continent. And these populations would benefit from GEDmatch where there are databases to compare against (eg. HarappaWorld for South Asians or Ethiohelix for African ancestry).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Brazil Azores Italy Ladinia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mando1 View Post
    Yes, with time and more test subjects, these companies will offer deeper results. BTW, I wouldn't consider East Asians, South Asians and Africans to be "monoethnic" although their results on AncestryDNA, etc. may appear "monoethnic" (eg. 100% South Asian). Rather, these populations may be even more diverse than those native to the European continent. And these populations would benefit from GEDmatch where there are databases to compare against (eg. HarappaWorld for South Asians or Ethiohelix for African ancestry).
    When I say monoethnic I mean recent/historical ethnicities, not deeper DNA. No one in the world is ''monoethnic'' in that latter sense. But doesn't make much historical sense to say that an Asian, European or Indian is multi-ethnic in the same sense as a North American (either ''white'' of multiple European ancestries or multiracial) or a Latin American. In the end everything depends on a cultural interpretation of what is meant to be recent vs ancient admixture.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caius Agrippa For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (05-04-2021),  Mando1 (04-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Ireland
    I hope my Ancestry results change. My results are
    50% England and Northwestern Europe
    27% Scotland
    12% Ireland
    7% Wales
    2% Germanic Europe
    2% Norway
    The Scotland results are too high as I have no close relative and I was expecting Wales to be much higher because I have a 2nd cousin who is Welsh and has family from Wales.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JG85 For This Useful Post:

Hurricane (05-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

probably in the middle of this year.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by kingeo View Post
    probably in the middle of this year.
    So, next month then? Have a source?

Personally, I don’t think I’ll be until later in the year, like October for example. Likely later though.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    So, next month then? Have a source?

Personally, I don’t think I’ll be until later in the year, like October for example. Likely later though.
    It might not actually focus on the British isles. Though as Americans have made such a massive fuss about the Scotland category that may be changed.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    It might not actually focus on the British isles. Though as Americans have made such a massive fuss about the Scotland category that may be changed.
    It’s not just Americans. It’s across the board. I suspect that Americans make up 95% of the customer base so until that changes they can fuss all they want. Doesn’t affect me either way as I’m not Scottish.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (05-17-2021),  msmarjoribanks (05-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European-Blend
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z59

Ireland Canada Quebec Germany Palatinate England Netherlands Scotland
    My family's Scottish is likely too high: while my mother's is potentially in the ball park (she has roughly half Irish/Scottish ancestry and she scores 44% Scotland), my father has one great-grandfather of Irish decent, no immediate Scottish ancestors, and he scores 41% in Scotland. His other seven great-grandparents are of mixed Southern English and German descent. (And while I admit there are definitely some significant holes in my father's tree, I'm not sure even they would account for that high of a score)
    Last edited by kujira692; 05-09-2021 at 02:34 AM.
    AncestryDNA Genetic Communities
    Father: Canadian Maritimes Acadian, Newfoundland & Southeastern Labrador Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers, New England Settlers, New York Settlers, Southwestern Quebec French Settlers, Southwestern Quebec & New York & Vermont French Settlers
    Mother: Southern Ontario Settlers, New York Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers
    AncestryDNA: England & Northwestern Europe: 49%, Scotland: 39%, Ireland 8%, Germanic Europe 4%

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kujira692 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (05-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    Itís not just Americans. Itís across the board. I suspect that Americans make up 95% of the customer base so until that changes they can fuss all they want. Doesnít affect me either way as Iím not Scottish.
    I just think some people are making the connection between ethnic group and nationality and assuming because someone is born in one country that their results should mostly be from that place. For example, with Northern Ireland you could have someone born here with a lot of Scottish ethnicity and no recent Scottish ancestors due to loads of marrying within the US community. Regarding Americans fussing, theyíre not more entitled than anyone else for a decent or accurate ethnicity result.

I still think itís interesting that a large majority of my fathers matches have 0% Irish. Again that would imply that the Scottish category whether itís Brittonic Celt or British Celt is reasonably accurate for him. And tbh I donít expect his results to change if they altered the category because itís accurate in my mind.

My Mumís results are also accurate in that has just has western Ulster genetic communities. That aligns with her county LíDerry, Tyrone and donegal ancestry.
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 05-09-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast