Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When is the next Ancestry update?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2
    mtDNA (M)
    K2a5

I don't see the reason for making so many categories individual if they can't accurately differentiate them... besides to market to Americans. However, they should be able to separate the England and NW Europe category a lot more accurately, that is a joke. 23andMe seems years ahead to me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cvolt For This Useful Post:

Mr.G (05-15-2021)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z11
    mtDNA (M)
    N1b1b1

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by cvolt View Post
    I don't see the reason for making so many categories individual if they can't accurately differentiate them... besides to market to Americans.
    Not to turn this into a major topic here, but I'm not following your logic. Why would marketing to Americans result in them creating any more or fewer categories than marketing to Europeans or Australians or anyone else?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (05-17-2021),  msmarjoribanks (05-17-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2
    mtDNA (M)
    K2a5

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    Not to turn this into a major topic here, but I'm not following your logic. Why would marketing to Americans result in them creating any more or fewer categories than marketing to Europeans or Australians or anyone else?
    Well I didn't mean Americans exclusively, only that they are a large % of Ancestry consumers. I know that "details"/specificity have been a part of marketing for Ancestry DNA in North American ads, comparing themselves to 23andMe because they use broadly categories.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cvolt For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (05-12-2021),  Mr.G (05-15-2021),  passenger (05-12-2021)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z11
    mtDNA (M)
    N1b1b1

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by cvolt View Post
    Well I didn't mean Americans exclusively, only that they are a large % of Ancestry consumers. I know that "details"/specificity have been a part of marketing for Ancestry DNA in North American ads, comparing themselves to 23andMe because they use broadly categories.
    Gotcha. I think it's just the nature of the beast though. I'd bet most customers worldwide would prefer more specific categories cleaving to national or ethnic "boundaries" that they can more easily identify with (or that allow them to create a narrative regarding the more recent history of their ancestors), rather than nebulous categories like "Broadly Northwestern European" even if the tools (or, indeed the genetic reality) don't permit us to be so precise. You're never going to please everyone.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (05-12-2021),  cvolt (05-12-2021),  JMcB (05-12-2021),  msmarjoribanks (05-17-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    It’s my fault. I say haitch, always have. All my family says haitch.

Have been told off by grammar/private school people only, so I’m not apologising.
    Hey, I come from a place where people think "yinz" is a word. (It's a contraction of "you ones" or "you uns" -- which is another thing we owe to our Scots-Irish forebears, apparently.)

BTW, I actually am happy enough with my reported 25% "Scotland". I just think too much of my German was siphoned off to make my 58% "England and Northwestern Europe". Only a relatively small amount of this is likely to be "England", and Ancestry would have done better to have counted it with my "Germanic" ancestry.

This isn't really the worse thing they've done for me. My maternal grandmother was half Spanish. Both her mother's father and her father's father were from the island of Menorca. But Ancestry can't find any Spanish for me, even though everyone else -- 23andMe, FTDNA, MyHeritage, and LivingDNA -- has no difficulty.
    Last edited by geebee; 05-12-2021 at 07:11 PM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

JMcB (05-12-2021),  lana6765 (05-12-2021),  Rufus191 (05-12-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles/Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L196
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b4a

United States of America England Prussia Rheinland Prussia German Confederation
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    What about adding Scots and English?
    ??? I'm 48% England & Northwestern Europe and 29% Scotland. I think the England and Northwestern Europe should be in the 60s probably.
    AncestryDNA: 31% Scotland (9-31%), 27% England & Northwestern Europe (26-58%), 14% Sweden & Denmark (0-23%), 11% Ireland (0-21%), 9% Germanic Europe (0-29%), 5% Wales (0-10%), 3% Norway (0-12%)

23andMe (v5.9 - 50% Confidence phased with both parents): 70.9% British & Irish, 27.4% French & German, 0.8% Broadly Northwestern European,
    0.5% North African, 0.2% Senegambian & Guinean, 0.2% Angolan & Congolese

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    But does the total British Isles make sense? My sis and I are wildly inconsistent and also my English is way too low, Scottish too high if I go by the current results, but our total British Isles are more in sync (mine more correct since they got my German and Scandinavian basically right on), and make sense with paper ancestry.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234