Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When is the next Ancestry update?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    BY198
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1

Ireland Scotland Flanders Hungary Italy Sicily
    I had zero Scots on my maternal side (where I'd expect some) and 12% paternal side (where no record of Scots exists) Cat among pigeons?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North, West and East Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-CTS5966
    mtDNA (P)
    H2a3

United States of America Denmark France Prussia Russia Imperial Germany
    Yea I get it too, with no ancestry north of the Channel, though it's only 4% and the map encompasses Brittany. I read that my great grandma's surname, Robin, has ties to Brittany and Scotland, so maybe the assignment is not wrong. My wife is all English, though her maiden name is Scottish, so there are some distant ancestors - she gets +40%.

I am hoping to get more realistic amounts with the other continental assignments. France (including my Malta assignment) is off by a factor of 3 or 4. I'm not entirely sure where the rest is buried, definitely Malta, maybe Scotland, some Germanic and some Norway (Parisian?).

I'd also like to see more Eastern European and French GCs, with the understanding there must be plenty of testers. We shall see I suppose.
    Known Ancestry: NW Russian 25%, Central French 25%, North German 25%, Scandinavian (mostly Dane/Swede, distant Norwegian) 12.5%, Polish/Prussian 12.5%

AncestryDNA (2021 update): Eastern European and Russia 35%, Sweden and Denmark 23% Germanic Europe 22%, Baltics 10%, Ireland 5%, France 3%, Finland 1%, Malta 1%

23andMe (v5.9): French and German 41.1%, Eastern European 38%, Scandinavian 8%, Finnish 1.6%, British and Irish 0.8%, BNWE 10.2%, North African 0.2%, Broadly European 0.1%

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Is anyone satisfied with their Scottish component?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Nino90 (05-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I just think some people are making the connection between ethnic group and nationality and assuming because someone is born in one country that their results should mostly be from that place. For example, with Northern Ireland you could have someone born here with a lot of Scottish ethnicity and no recent Scottish ancestors due to loads of marrying within the US community. Regarding Americans fussing, theyíre not more entitled than anyone else for a decent or accurate ethnicity result.

I still think itís interesting that a large majority of my fathers matches have 0% Irish. Again that would imply that the Scottish category whether itís Brittonic Celt or British Celt is reasonably accurate for him. And tbh I donít expect his results to change if they altered the category because itís accurate in my mind.

My Mumís results are also accurate in that has just has western Ulster genetic communities. That aligns with her county LíDerry, Tyrone and donegal ancestry.
    Oh for sure. I guarantee that the there is a high percentage of people that have no idea what they are talking about in terms of their background and are moaning away about it regardless. While I know this is annoying we can have to assume that Ancestry knows better and doesnít use these people as any form of reference for future updates.
    E-V13 -> E-PH1246 -> E-BY14160*
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

6. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

Nino90 (05-09-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    I just think some people are making the connection between ethnic group and nationality and assuming because someone is born in one country that their results should mostly be from that place. For example, with Northern Ireland you could have someone born here with a lot of Scottish ethnicity and no recent Scottish ancestors due to loads of marrying within the US community. Regarding Americans fussing, theyíre not more entitled than anyone else for a decent or accurate ethnicity result.

I still think itís interesting that a large majority of my fathers matches have 0% Irish. Again that would imply that the Scottish category whether itís Brittonic Celt or British Celt is reasonably accurate for him. And tbh I donít expect his results to change if they altered the category because itís accurate in my mind.

My Mumís results are also accurate in that has just has western Ulster genetic communities. That aligns with her county LíDerry, Tyrone and donegal ancestry.
    Tbf, though I donít believe AncestryDNA can be fully accurate for everyone, Scottish ancestry is a possibility for me past 1850. London experienced a lot of internal migration. I donít know if Liverpool was similar, but people tended to move towards cities for work. Iím taking the 15% estimate with a pinch of salt, but hey Scottish ancestry is possible.

Iím sure most people who can trace all ancestors back to 1700 may have made a few mistakes. Everyone has so many ancestors from 1700 that tracing all lineages becomes quite ridiculous. Even if most of your research is correct, the potential for mistakes increases as you go further and further back in time.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European-Blend
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z59

Ireland Canada Quebec Germany Palatinate England Netherlands Scotland
    Is anyone satisfied with their Scottish component?
    I think my mother's is in the ballpark: her paper-trail is roughly half-English & half-Irish/Scottish and she scores 44% Scotland & 7% Ireland (so it's possible the Scotland allocation is correct if her Irish ancestors (who were all Protestant) were of a Scottish origin)

In my Father's case, as I mentioned, he has only 1/8 great-grandparents with Irish ancestry (from Tipperary), none with Scottish ancestry, and he scores 41% Scotland, 8% Ireland, and 8% Wales. He has roughly 2/8 great-grandparents from England and scores another inflated number with 36% England, but has 1/8 Quebecois grand-parent and 4/8 German (for clarity they immigrated pre 1800) grand-parents but only scores 3% France and 2% Germanic Europe. So I have to imagine that at least some of the Scotland and England categories are consuming portions of Germanic Europe and possibly France.
    Last edited by kujira692; 05-10-2021 at 03:13 AM.
    AncestryDNA Genetic Communities
    Father: Canadian Maritimes Acadian, Newfoundland & Southeastern Labrador Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers, New England Settlers, New York Settlers, Southwestern Quebec French Settlers, Southwestern Quebec & New York & Vermont French Settlers
    Mother: Southern Ontario Settlers, New York Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers
    AncestryDNA: England & Northwestern Europe: 49%, Scotland: 39%, Ireland 8%, Germanic Europe 4%

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kujira692 For This Useful Post:

Nqp15hhu (05-10-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles/Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L196
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b4a

United States of America England Prussia Rheinland Prussia German Confederation
    It's hard for me to say if mine is accurate or not, but I also don't think it should be as high as 29%.
    AncestryDNA: 48% England & Northwestern Europe, 29% Scotland, 12% Germanic Europe, 11% Ireland
    23andMe (v5.9 - 50% Confidence phased with both parents): 70.9% British & Irish, 27.4% French & German, 0.8% Broadly Northwestern European,
    0.5% North African, 0.2% Senegambian & Guinean, 0.2% Angolan & Congolese

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aafusc2988 For This Useful Post:

Nqp15hhu (05-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by aafusc2988 View Post
    It's hard for me to say if mine is accurate or not, but I also don't think it should be as high as 29%.
    What about adding Scots and English?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    It might not actually focus on the British isles. Though as Americans have made such a massive fuss about the Scotland category that may be changed.
    Yes, if in doubt always blame the Americans!

It doesn't really have anything to do with DNA, but I remember a while back coming across a website in which some British folks were talking about a growing trend to refer to the eighth letter of the Latin alphabet as "haitch" instead of the more common "aitch". Somebody on the site suggested it was probably the fault of "the Americans" -- but I have never heard a fellow American use this pronunciation. It seems to be the fault of certain persons living in the British Isles.

Anyway, I have no quarrel with Ancestry's claim that I'm 25% Scottish. I actually take more exception to the 58% "England and Northwestern Europe". But even that wouldn't bother me so much if they didn't spend so much time pretending that it's really just "English" by a different name. A significant portion of my "England and Northwestern Europe" is undoubtedly German, since I have several times as much "Germanic ancestry" (documented) than the paltry 5% Ancestry assigns to me.

And, indeed, if you look at the map of the region you can see an awful lot of this category that shows up on the European mainland -- even as far away as Switzerland. This isn't because of all of the secret "British" ancestry among Lowlanders, Germans, and Swiss. Rather, it's a function of Germanic ancestry in the UK.

On my father's side, he really only has two ancestries to speak of: Palatine German (which actually includes Swiss) from the colonial era, and Scottish/Scots-Irish. He's actually somewhat more German than British, and from my father's ancestry alone there's no way I could be only 5% "German".

I could wish for an update that could separate German out better. Or failing that, a clearer statement from Ancestry that a lot of their "England and Northwestern Europe" category is really just "Northwestern Europe" and not "England" at all. Despite being a component which is often found in England, it really isn't from England.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

digital_noise (05-12-2021),  RVBLAKE (05-12-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    It doesn't really have anything to do with DNA, but I remember a while back coming across a website in which some British folks were talking about a growing trend to refer to the eighth letter of the Latin alphabet as "haitch" instead of the more common "aitch". Somebody on the site suggested it was probably the fault of "the Americans" -- but I have never heard a fellow American use this pronunciation. It seems to be the fault of certain persons living in the British Isles.
    Itís my fault. I say haitch, always have. All my family says haitch.

Have been told off by grammar/private school people only, so Iím not apologising.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (05-17-2021),  Riverman (05-12-2021)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast