Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    I have two sets of coordinates: one AncestryDNA and the other 23andme v5. Using a different kit made a slight difference to my results and I found that distances were a little bigger with the 23andme kit. But there wasnít a massive difference and both results were clearly from the same person.

Iíve heard that 23andme v5 data isnít the best to upload, but I donít know how true this is as I canít find a source for that information.

Here are my distances for the 23andme kit:

Distance to: 23andme_scaled
    0.02166400 Icelandic
    0.02185645 Scottish
    0.02194350 Norwegian
    0.02196493 Irish
    0.02213178 Danish
    0.02226499 Orcadian
    0.02268846 Dutch
    0.02349366 English
    Hi Guys, why the current iterations of 23&me, MyHeritage and FTDNA (GSA microarray) are not ideal for the G25 is that they offer less SNPs for David's PCA/analysis than prior versiuons (Omniexpress microarray) offered. That is the basic issue...

Thank you so much, everyone.

My Scandinavian ancestry mainly comes from Hallingdal, Valdres with some connection to Vestfold and Dalsland (Sweden).

I might decide to try another test as well.
    Espen
    If you do decide to get another, I would recomend getting the Ancestry kit. This will offer the biggest bang for your buck both in terms of DNA and genealogical research for us European folk.

And welcome to the forum, and the exclusive 'am I (genetically) Norwegian or British' group. There's certainly a few of us on here........

Lana, did you get your Celtic vs. Germanic coo-ordinates yet? It doesn't neccessarily make things clearer, but in case my pattern of results was different with respect to the North Sea continuum
    Last edited by jadegreg; 02-14-2021 at 10:51 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (02-21-2021),  Bygdedweller (02-14-2021),  confused90 (02-22-2021),  Elske (02-14-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Frisian
    Nationality
    Dutch

Netherlands Friesland Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    Hi Guys, why the current iterations of 23&me, MyHeritage and FTDNA (GSA microarray) are not ideal for the G25 is that they offer less SNPs for David's PCA/analysis than prior versiuons (Omniexpress microarray) offered. That is the basic issue...

If you do decide to get another, I would recomend getting the Ancestry kit. This will offer the biggest bang for your buck both in terms of DNA and genealogical research for us European folk.

And welcome to the forum, and the exclusive 'am I (genetically) Norwegian or British' group. There's certainly a few of us on here........

Lana, did you get your Celtic vs. Germanic coo-ordinates yet? It doesn't neccessarily make things clearer, but in case my pattern of results was different with respect to the North Sea continuum
    Thanks for your advice. I ordered the Ancestry AND the 23andme test!

I did the Ancestry test today and I dropped it off at the post office. My 23andme order was shipped on february the 19th, so I'll receive the kit this week.
    MyHeritage: Scandinavian 48%, English 37,6%, North- and West-European 10,2%, Finnish 4,2%
    Paper trail: Frisian

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elske For This Useful Post:

Bygdedweller (02-22-2021),  jadegreg (02-22-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

Quote Originally Posted by Elske View Post
    Thanks for your advice. I ordered the Ancestry AND the 23andme test!

I did the Ancestry test today and I dropped it off at the post office. My 23andme order was shipped on february the 19th, so I'll receive the kit this week.
    Great! Look forward to seeing your results. If you were planning on getting your G25, I'd wait until you get both of these results in, and send in a combined kit (using DNA kit studio to combine, after checking for any incosistencies between kits). That way you should get the best coverage for G25, short of buying a WGS, or asking Marty Mcfly to head 'back' and order the v3 kit .....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

Bygdedweller (02-23-2021),  Elske (02-22-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Frisian
    Nationality
    Dutch

Netherlands Friesland Netherlands
    Great! Look forward to seeing your results. If you were planning on getting your G25, I'd wait until you get both of these results in, and send in a combined kit (using DNA kit studio to combine, after checking for any incosistencies between kits). That way you should get the best coverage for G25, short of buying a WGS, or asking Marty Mcfly to head 'back' and order the v3 kit .....
    Maybe I can borrow the DeLorean...

I want to use the Ancestry results for G25, but I can try to make a combined kit and use that kit as well. Then I can compare the results.
    MyHeritage: Scandinavian 48%, English 37,6%, North- and West-European 10,2%, Finnish 4,2%
    Paper trail: Frisian

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elske For This Useful Post:

Bygdedweller (02-23-2021),  jadegreg (02-22-2021),  xerxez (02-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z19
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a

Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by confused90 View Post
    Thank you so much, everyone.

My Scandinavian ancestry mainly comes from Hallingdal, Valdres with some connection to Vestfold and Dalsland (Sweden).

I might decide to try another test as well.
    Espen
    Thanks for sharing. With that information at hand, I agree that the results are somewhat counter-intuitive. If you have genetic groups on MyHeritage that connect you to the British Isles or Western Europe, that might be an indication that it's a real connection obviously. But getting a high English percentage with MyHeritage on their ethnicity estimate can be codeword for lots of things, including Danish, Dutch, German or even just West Norwegian ancestry. If you want to pursue it further, I think doing a test with AncestryDNA or 23andme would be one way to go about it, as they have more precise regional breakdowns and are able to more accurately detect recent ancestry.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bygdedweller For This Useful Post:

confused90 (02-23-2021),  Elske (02-23-2021)

Hello everybody,

Just wanted to let you know, I've got some new information.

I happen to have two birth certificates, one from Tax Department in Norway, showing my Norwegian parents.
    The other from British Embassy Oslo, showing my Norwegian mother, and an English father from London.

On Myheritage, I am able to find mainly Norwegian relatives (close), on both sides.

Here are the details from a distant relation in the UK:
    Estimated relationships
    3rd - 5th cousin?
    DNA Match quality?
    Shared DNA 0.4% (30.9‎ cM)
    Shared segments 1
    Largest segment 30.9‎ cM

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to confused90 For This Useful Post:

Bygdedweller (02-23-2021),  Elske (02-23-2021),  jadegreg (02-23-2021),  lana6765 (02-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G-L91
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

Hello! I tried the "RAW analyzer" tool in DNA kit studio to compare my 23andMe and MyHeritage raw files and I got this result:

Does this mean that there is inconsistency between the 2 kits in 6819 SNPs? Does the combine tool pick one of the 2 results at random in these locations?

(sorry for the off-topic!)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

Yep, there's incosistency between the two kits, but in your case I think the main issue is in SNP calls where there are half equal genotypes at 0.069%, so it's negligible (352 no calls). If you were being a purist, you would delete those SNP calls, and convert to no calls. However, I'd probably not bother as it's not likely to make much of a difference......If you wanted to check you can whack the txt files into an Excel document, and compare and contrast. Beyond Geneaology (website), has a good run down on how to go about this.........but, frankly, life's too short, given the 'exactness' of the scientific methods we currently have at our disposal. Unless there's some hideous differences between two kits (like there was in my WGS and 23&me kits (~4%), I really wouldn't bother.

EDIT:- Sorry didn't see your postscript at the bottom there. I beleive the program overlays SNP calls, so if you selected 23&me first in your 'combine' list, then these would be the 'shared' SNPs contained in the combined file, with the additional MH SNPs, not in 23&me file, spliced in
    Last edited by jadegreg; 02-23-2021 at 11:12 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

peloponnesian (02-24-2021),  xerxez (02-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England Devon Ireland
    Yep, there's incosistency between the two kits, but in your case I think the main issue is in SNP calls where there are half equal genotypes at 0.069%, so it's negligible (352 no calls). If you were being a purist, you would delete those SNP calls, and convert to no calls. However, I'd probably not bother as it's not likely to make much of a difference......If you wanted to check you can whack the txt files into an Excel document, and compare and contrast. Beyond Geneaology (website), has a good run down on how to go about this.........but, frankly, life's too short, given the 'exactness' of the scientific methods we currently have at our disposal. Unless there's some hideous differences between two kits (like there was in my WGS and 23&me kits (~4%), I really wouldn't bother.

EDIT:- Sorry didn't see your postscript at the bottom there. I beleive the program overlays SNP calls, so if you selected 23&me first in your 'combine' list, then these would be the 'shared' SNPs contained in the combined file, with the additional MH SNPs, not in 23&me file, spliced in
    Tbh I tried getting both sets of coordinates in case there was some extreme difference between the two e.g I’d get less Basque or something. Instead the only real difference is that I don’t get 0.4% Papuan or something
    Last edited by lana6765; 02-23-2021 at 06:57 PM.
    23andme V5.9: 97.3% British and Irish, 2.3% Spanish and Portuguese, 0.2% Broadly Southern European, 0.2% Unassigned
    AncestryDNA 2020: 50% England & Northwestern Europe, 35% Ireland, 15% Scotland
    Paper trail to 1850s: County Mayo 25%, Essex 25%, London 15.625%, Hampshire/Southampton 12.5%, Lancashire/Liverpool 9.375%, Devon 6.25%, Suffolk 3.125%, County Cavan 3.125%, Gibraltar (military service)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    Tbh I tried getting both sets of coordinates in case there was some extreme difference between the two e.g I’d get less Basque or something. Instead the only real difference is that I don’t get 0.4% Papuan or something
    Sorry, not quite sure I follow. Do you mean separate G25 co-ordinates for each of your kits?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast