Nationality
    Belizean/American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b1a1g1, Q1a3a1
    mtDNA (M)
    L2b2, L3e2b

Belize CARICOM United States of America African Union Belize

Belizean Ancestry Project Thread

This is my small scale attempt at mimicing ancestry projects that have popped up in the last couple years:

Link To The Google Docs Spreadsheet Here

Y-DNA

mtDNA

Admixture Scores

Map of Participant's Hometowns

• I think Kriols have more European Y-DNA (Paternal Line) than I've found so far. I say this because no Belizean (of any ethnicity) descends from a European woman, yet Kriols usually get atleast 20% European. So all of our European admixture comes through men.
    • Also, it seems like all Kriol people have a little Maya ancestry. Many also have some East Indian as well.
    • Garifuna peoples native admixture seems to come solely through native women. So this means African men displaced native men to create Garifuna people. Garifuna people also descend from African women too though.
    • The multiethnic's show that Belize is really among the most mixed places on earth! lol

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pgbk87 For This Useful Post:

AJL (02-27-2013),  apophis99942 (08-29-2012),  DMXX (08-29-2012),  Don Felipe (02-18-2013),  Spark (08-29-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Those mitochondrial lineages vaguely remind me of the Brazilian Amazon according to Carvalho: a lot of L3 and L2 present alongside A. The presence of Y-DNA O is interesting to me, do you know which group there in Belize it might be most associated with?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to apophis99942 For This Useful Post:

pgbk87 (09-02-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex

Well done, pgbk. We needed this.

Quote Originally Posted by apophis99942 View Post
    Those mitochondrial lineages vaguely remind me of the Brazilian Amazon according to Carvalho: a lot of L3 and L2 present alongside A. The presence of Y-DNA O is interesting to me, do you know which group there in Belize it might be most associated with?
    Y-DNA O2a1a is found almost exclusively among tribal peoples of South and Southeastern Asia -- Austronesian-influenced or proto-Austronesian peoples.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Spark For This Useful Post:

apophis99942 (08-29-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

If it's O2a1a-PK4, could it be indicative of some recent Chinese genetic contributions? See, I don't about that because I'm not sure how common the exogamy would be with other Belizeans.

My reference: http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/lofi...p/t254755.html
    Last edited by apophis99942; 08-29-2012 at 05:53 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to apophis99942 For This Useful Post:

Spark (08-29-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multi-ethnic Belizean
    Nationality
    Belizean/American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b1a1g1, Q1a3a1
    mtDNA (M)
    L2b2, L3e2b

O likely came from a small Chinese immigration to Belize.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Well done, pgbk. We needed this.

Y-DNA O2a1a is found almost exclusively among tribal peoples of South and Southeastern Asia -- Austronesian-influenced or proto-Austronesian peoples.
    Thanks, I've tried to dig up as much info as possible.

If it's O2a1a-PK4, could it be indicative of some recent Chinese genetic contributions? See, I don't about that because I'm not sure how common the exogamy would be with other Belizeans.

My reference: http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/lofi...p/t254755.html
    I think different (but small) waves of Chinese immigrants have integrated at different lengths into Belizean society

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgbk87 For This Useful Post:

apophis99942 (08-30-2012),  Spark (08-30-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Nuts

United States of America
    Subbed, so I can follow.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multi-ethnic Belizean
    Nationality
    Belizean/American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b1a1g1, Q1a3a1
    mtDNA (M)
    L2b2, L3e2b

Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
    Subbed, so I can follow.
    Hey Jedi, I mean Gumbo lol

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1
    mtDNA (M)
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Good job! Already over 30 Belizeans tested sofar and included in your project. That's quite a good sample size already if you ask me. Nice touch also on providing the background details on each participant.

I got curious about Belizean AF results after seeing yours
    Of course the AF database might be quite limited still I noticed sofar you got more Honduras than Jamaican matches. Is this generally so and are there any Garifuna among them maybe?
    Last edited by Don Felipe; 02-19-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multi-ethnic Belizean
    Nationality
    Belizean/American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b1a1g1, Q1a3a1
    mtDNA (M)
    L2b2, L3e2b

Quote Originally Posted by Oditous View Post
    Good job! Already over 30 Belizeans tested sofar and included in your project. That's quite a good sample size already if you ask me. Nice touch also on providing the background details on each participant.
    Thanks. I have found 3 more since I have posted this. I haven't received their genomes, so I can't add them. I am actually in the process of creating my own ADMIXTURE calculator. Hopefully one that focuses more on African and Amerind diversity, with North and South European references.

I got curious about Belizean AF results after seeing yours
    Of course the AF database might be quite limited still I noticed sofar you got more Honduras than Jamaican matches. Is this generally so and are there any Garifuna among them maybe?
    Generally in terms of relatedness it's: Hondurans>Jamaicans>Caymanians>Guatemalans>Mexican s>Other Anglophone Caribbeans>Aframs>Everyone else

The Hondurans are mix of Garifunas, Bay Islanders and Mestizo-Triracials. Most of the Guatemalans are interestingly adoptees of mostly or completely native ancestry.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pgbk87 For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (02-20-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1
    mtDNA (M)
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by pgbk87 View Post
    I am actually in the process of creating my own ADMIXTURE calculator. Hopefully one that focuses more on African and Amerind diversity, with North and South European references.
    Cool! Keep me posted, when it's ready, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by pgbk87 View Post
    Generally in terms of relatedness it's: Hondurans>Jamaicans>Caymanians>Guatemalans>Mexican s>Other Anglophone Caribbeans>Aframs>Everyone else

The Hondurans are mix of Garifunas, Bay Islanders and Mestizo-Triracials. Most of the Guatemalans are interestingly adoptees of mostly or completely native ancestry.
    Fascinating as most of the people tested sofar seem to be Kriol or Garifuna, but still they get more Central American matches than Carribean ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast