Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst results ever! Utterly dissapointed - should I try 23andMe?!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Well, being from a colonial nation, I am a fairly typical Euromongrel, with British and western and mid European.
    And apart from a couple of people, I thought they were all fairly boringly conventional.
    Tracing the lines back I found some interesting histories to go with that, although sometimes it was just the landowners my people worked for.
    Many turned out to have come from around a large hill famous for many centuries, and with online views in all directions and detailed archeological analysis of use on the hill for several thousand years.
    Eventually in another line I discovered a historical link to an Irish ancestor.
    The remaining DNA from that line all came from her husband, who came from a part of England that had no other connections for me.
    So yes, DNA helped with that, but it took documentary research to open up a possibility that DNA confirmed.
    In other cases, the DNA clue comes first.

My point is that because many of my lines DNA have been lost over the generations, that other lines of enquiry may be useful.
    And that facts linked to DNA alone can be a bit limited.
    I love DNA genealogy strongly, but for me it is one member of the family research band.
    A prominent one, to be sure, but one among several who all contribute.
    And for me, from time to time, each technique sometimes steps forwards to take a solo.
    And sometimes they all play together.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Aiden (06-16-2021),  peloponnesian (02-28-2021),  Stefanie (06-16-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G-L91
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f2

Quote Originally Posted by Luso View Post
    Wow... you sound just like me. I thought I'd be mixed and not fully Portuguese based on what people have said. I'd be told I look anywhere from Southern Italian, Greek, Morrocan, Turkish to Levantine. But then my whole family took DNA tests and we are overwhelmingly just avg Portuguese, lol.
    Yeah, appearances can be misleading. My sister is very Mediterranean looking, she would fit anywhere from Spain to Israel. Turns out she's just Greek with decent Balkan influence
    She even scores less Middle East and West Asian in the calculators than me

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peloponnesian For This Useful Post:

Aiden (06-08-2021),  Luso (02-28-2021),  Mrtni (06-07-2021),  Saetro (02-28-2021),  Tomenable (06-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a

Great Seljuk Empire
    That is so true. Especially for the Mediterranean Area the Genotype unequals the Phenotype. I remember the day when we had a stopover in Crete and a Greek family asked me where I bought my drink. They just looked confused when i told them that I am not greek.My results are not even close to Greek islanders.

While I am in this topic that MyHeritage is awful , Id like to ask a question too. Did anyone have also weird genetic cluster results? Or can I Pm someone who is used to it?
    Last edited by Mrtni; 06-07-2021 at 11:15 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrtni For This Useful Post:

LesPoilus (06-16-2021),  peloponnesian (06-09-2021),  Tomenable (06-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2552
    mtDNA (M)
    W6a

Poland European Union Poland Pomerania French Southern and Antarctic Lands
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalimili View Post
    Oh yes, for sure, I agree that my recent ancestry is mostly Balkan (Serbian), I am not arguing that. I uploaded my results to some other DNA companies (like FTDNA) and got more detailed breakdown. I guess that was all I kinda wanted I mean, saying I am 100% Balkan is obvious, but where does my DNA go beyond that.. that's all
    Here a Greek person who did several tests, you can compare which ones estimate deeper breakdowns and which focus on very recent ancestry (so would give you 100% Balkan?):

https://youtu.be/1-QTTXEUe5g

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Afro,Euro,Amerind
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M85
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c14

United States of America
    It's supposed to give modern ancestry ethnic makeup information.
    They go back only 500 years.

23andme has a Ashkenazi Jewish as part of their Ancestry Composition.
    Those aren't ancient people for they are hybrid of ancient Middle Eastern and ancient European.

Ancestry has a European Jewish category which seems to be mainly Ashkenazi.

If you want ancient ethnic analysis, you might as well as use GEDmatch, Admixture Studio
    Last edited by Glaucus; 06-16-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtni View Post
    While I am in this topic that MyHeritage is awful , I’d like to ask a question too. Did anyone have also weird genetic cluster results? Or can I Pm someone who is used to it?
    Ethnic clusters are going to work best when there are lots of people who would fit into a particular cluster in that particular database.
    Maybe MyHeritage needs a few more testers in some areas to make them work better?
    And a little more time to tweak their algorithms.
    Mine are certainly weird and of no use to me - yet, but with more matches in Europe there, I am hoping for something later.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Mrtni (06-16-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

While I am in this topic that MyHeritage is awful , I’d like to ask a question too. Did anyone have also weird genetic cluster results? Or can I Pm someone who is used to it?
    I do. I took two tests. The first one from 23andMe, the second with MyHeritage. I uploaded the 23andMe raw datas on MH website. So, i can compare them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LesPoilus For This Useful Post:

Mrtni (06-16-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a

Great Seljuk Empire
    Did you receive big differences?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Did you receive big differences?
    The overall ethnic origin is quite similar in both tests. The main difference is the 23andMe uploaded datas gave me only genetic groups from France while with the MH kit, i got a low level confidence Turkish genetic group althought i score 0% West Asian...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12