Italian and Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L2/S-47
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

Italy Sicily

Unhappy Help-me to find my great-grandpa

Hello

I don't know who was my great-grandpa. I have few information about him: he was a Turco-French man, possibly a Siro-French. He was my mother's grandpa.
    My mother is Italian descent (2/4 North Italian, 1/4 Sicilian) and 1/4 this unknown Turco-French man.

I started to think about it after I saw the ethnicity estimate of my mother:

As you can see, no West Asian/ Arab/ Turk/ Armenian... Nothing related to Middle Eastern people. But... they also found she has got Portuguese ancestry, from Castelo Branco. Her cousin lives with his family there (in portugal) and he is her cousin from her Italian branch, but I don't know if it appears as a genetic group on MyHeritage.

Her DNA matches current live in those locations:

Only one living in Portugal actually (her cousin). I think if she has got true Portuguese ancestry, would have some relatives in Portugal. Or this portuguese blood came from a Colonial Portuguese Ancestor. However, there are few Brazilians matches, most of then I recognise as Italian Matches. So I don't know.

Her K36 results are here:

My question: Is my great-grandpa a Turco-French or a Portuguese (recent/colonial)?

What is his ethnicity? Can I find him through her DNA Matches?

My grandmother born in Brazil, children of a Sicilian woman and a Turco-French (?) man.

Where I can run it deep and break it in mor ethnic components? Gedmatch?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by caesarsalad; 02-23-2021 at 11:49 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caesarsalad For This Useful Post:

Greekscholar (02-24-2021),  Nino90 (02-23-2021)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Croatia Star of David Ireland England Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by caesarsalad View Post
    Bump.
    This is a warning to please not bump threads. If a member wants to reply they will.
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Greece
    snip
    Does your mom have any non-admixed Portugese or Spanish matches through MyHeritage? That 25% is roughly the amount of DNA you are looking for. That said, MH can confuse Northern Italian and Iberian ancestry.

I don't see any evidence for a "Turkish" ancestor because your mom has no Central Asian admixture. That does not mean this ancestor couldn't have been "Ottoman" and been an ethnic Greek, Albanian, or other ethnicity. Based on your K36 and the MH report, that is probably where I would look if the Portugese/Spanish angle doesn't yield any results. If you plug in those K36 numbers here.

https://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/similitude.htm

you will get a heat map that shows your mom's closest genetic regions in Europe are Northern Italy and the Peloponnese of Greece. The later could be a "calculator effect" but again, if your mom does have ancestry from that area, you should find a few Greeks or Albanians in your match lists.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European by blood
    Nationality
    Italian and Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L2/S-47
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

Italy Sicily
    I'm sorry, I didn't know about "bu*p" here. She has only one match in Portugal, her half Sicilian/ Half Portuguese cousin. But she has some French DNA matches. I caught what you mean. I may ask this information them. Could chromosome Browser help me?
    If I post some pics of my grandma here could her phenotype help me (alpine, armenoud, ecc)? I don't know how to classify people properly.
    Last edited by caesarsalad; 02-24-2021 at 01:24 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caesarsalad For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (02-24-2021),  Greekscholar (02-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Greece
    I'm sorry, I didn't know about "bu*p" here. She has only one match in Portugal, her half Sicilian/ Half Portuguese cousin. But she has some French DNA matches. I caught what you mean. I may ask this information them. Could chromosome Browser help me?
    If I post some pics of my grandma here could her phenotype help me (alpine, armenoud, ecc)? I don't know how to classify people properly.
    Phenotype analysis of individuals to guess ancestry is not allowed so far as I know.

Your mom's cousin match list if more useful. What is her highest cM match to the French individuals?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Greekscholar For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (02-24-2021)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

Greekscholar is correct. Per our ToS:

3.13 Further to the above, threads or posts forwarding requests for ethnicity guessing or 'classifications' based on the pseudoscientific precepts of 'racial taxonomy' are automatically considered as both devoid of substance and trivial. Such content will be deleted without prior notice.
    There are other forums on the internet to ask such questions, just not this one.
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

Greekscholar (02-24-2021),  Northern Adriatic (04-08-2021),  peloponnesian (02-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European by blood
    Nationality
    Italian and Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L2/S-47
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

Italy Sicily
    DNA MAtches :

Sorry asking about phenotype, I really don't like to show my personal pics online, I would do it only if it could help.

My great-grandpa left my great-grandma with her children, and we don't know his name and I think our relatives from his branch don't know my grandma exist. I'm analysing chromosome browser by groups of the same ethnicy now. I can post it here, bur I don't know if it can help. My mother DNA kit on GEDMATCH is on the K36 pic.

Thank you.
    Last edited by caesarsalad; 02-24-2021 at 10:33 AM.

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

DNA MAtches :

Sorry asking about phenotype, I really don't like to show my personal pics online, I would do it only if it could help.

My great-grandpa left my great-grandma with her children, and we don't know his name and I think our relatives from his branch don't know my grandma exist. I'm analysing chromosome browser by groups of the same ethnicy now. I can post it here, bur I don't know if it can help. My mother DNA kit on GEDMATCH is on the K36 pic.

Thank you.
    Third column third match down you forgot to hide her face.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European by blood
    Nationality
    Italian and Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L2/S-47
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

Italy Sicily
    Here I found a French who match a segment with a Brazilian relative. This specific relative refused give me information by messages. I would try to ask
    to French one.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European by blood
    Nationality
    Italian and Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L2/S-47
    mtDNA (M)
    U1a1a

Italy Sicily