Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there Greek admix among Greek_Kos?

Sex

Is there Greek admix among Greek_Kos?

So a friend of mine said Greek_Kos is Hellenized Levantine/Anatolian i was wondering if it had Greek admix

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Slavic + Thracian
    Nationality
    Bulgarian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y31991
    mtDNA (M)
    HV-T16311C!
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-S17250

Bulgaria European Union
    I am sure the Greek part is present. You can run the sample Kos in Vahaduo comparing it against mainlander Greeks and Anatolian/Caucasian groups. The Greek part is always evident.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Bronze Age Greek admixture(Mycenaean like) exists in the majority of modern Greek ethnic groups.Kos and Dodecannese have Greek mix but indeed they have come in contact with west asians.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (02-23-2021),  Jatt1 (02-24-2021),  Seabass (02-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny ola View Post
    Bronze Age Greek admixture(Mycenaean like) exists in the majority of modern Greek ethnic groups.Kos and Dodecannese have Greek mix but indeed they have come in contact with west asians.
    You say majority. Which ones lack it, then?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi Jew
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-YP3924
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a
    mtDNA (P)
    K2a2a

Israel Israel Jerusalem Star of David
    I'd even go as far as to say that it's a recent modern anomaly that most Western Anatolians aren't Greeks, and not the other way around - ie that some Greeks have significant Anatolian admixture.

Since as early as the 10th century BCE, and especially after the 4th century BCE, up until few centuries ago most Anatolia was Greek speaking (certainly Western Anatolia) and up until the 1920s there were still significant Greek speaking populations sporadically in Western Anatolia.

So I wouldn't use Iron Age or even Late Bronze Age Greeks as the "pristine" genetic arch-type of Greek ancestry, because for the vast majority of it's existence, the Greek "civilization" had people with substantial Anatolian admixture (besides obvious EEF) which were indistinguishable from other Greeks.
    Check out my Hidden Content

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Erikl86 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (02-23-2021),  Andrewid (02-23-2021),  antpet (02-24-2021),  Johnny ola (02-23-2021),  leorcooper19 (02-23-2021),  Michalis Moriopoulos (02-23-2021),  Principe (02-23-2021),  Ryukendo (06-11-2021),  Seabass (02-24-2021),  therugged (02-27-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Quote Originally Posted by bovefex View Post
    You say majority. Which ones lack it, then?
    None. Pretty much all have. Even Pontic Greeks Some of them scoring good bulk of Greek bronze Age admixture.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

Andrewid (02-23-2021),  antpet (02-24-2021),  bovefex (02-23-2021),  Jatt1 (02-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Quote Originally Posted by Erikl86 View Post
    I'd even go as far as to say that it's a recent modern anomaly that most Western Anatolians aren't Greeks, and not the other way around - ie that some Greeks have significant Anatolian admixture.

Since as early as the 10th century BCE, and especially after the 4th century BCE, up until few centuries ago most Anatolia was Greek speaking (certainly Western Anatolia) and up until the 1920s there were still significant Greek speaking populations sporadically in Western Anatolia.

So I wouldn't use Iron Age or even Late Bronze Age Greeks as the "pristine" genetic arch-type of Greek ancestry, because for the vast majority of it's existence, the Greek "civilization" had people with substantial Anatolian admixture (besides obvious EEF) which were indistinguishable from other Greeks.
    Pretty much Yes. Bronze Age Greeks and Bronze Age Anatolians are not so different. Okay, Mycenaeans/Minoans were for sure more EEF shifted. But Even them had CHG/Iran N. I think the only diffrence between them that Greeks used to had steppe,while In Bronze Age Anatolia was absent or maybe very limited? The point my good friend, Is from where and when exactly this Levant DNA arrived and took place among Greek islanders? This is something that i would love to know. And not only about them, but also about other Greeks and South Italians.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (02-24-2021),  peloponnesian (02-23-2021),  Principe (02-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

None. Pretty much all have. Even Pontic Greeks Some of them scoring good bulk of Greek bronze Age admixture.
    How do we know that isn't simply BA Anatolian-like? And why do Pontic Greeks have so little Steppe? Genuinely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Erikl86 View Post

Then is it possible that the Greeks we talk about today, who 'founded' the Western Civilization, were actually more Anatolian-shifted than the samples we have?

Pretty much Yes. Bronze Age Greeks and Bronze Age Anatolians are not so different. Okay, Mycenaeans/Minoans were for sure more EEF shifted. But Even them had CHG/Iran N. I think the only diffrence between them that Greeks used to had steppe,while In Bronze Age Anatolia was absent or maybe very limited? The point my good friend, Is from where and when exactly this Levant DNA arrived and took place among Greek islanders? This is something that i would love to know. And not only about them, but also about other Greeks and South Italians.
    Don't the Imperial Roman samples we have also have a decent amount of Levant? Then isn't it also possible that the Levantine ancestry of modern day Greeks actually isn't modern (as in the last millennium) at all, too?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi Jew
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-YP3924
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a
    mtDNA (P)
    K2a2a

Israel Israel Jerusalem Star of David

Then is it possible that the Greeks we talk about today, who 'founded' the Western Civilization, were actually more Anatolian-shifted than the samples we have?
    All it means that until few centuries ago, many Hellenic people had substantial Anatolian admixture, and had been for almost 3,000 years. it wasn't the exception.
    Check out my Hidden Content

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erikl86 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (02-23-2021),  Andrewid (02-23-2021),  therugged (02-27-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

How do we know that isn't simply BA Anatolian-like? And why do Pontic Greeks have so little Steppe? Genuinely curious.

Don't the Imperial Roman samples we have also have a decent amount of Levant? Then isn't it also possible that the Levantine ancestry of modern day Greeks actually isn't modern (as in the last millennium) at all, too?
    Yep,i think the Levant among the Greco-Roman world is connected with Imperial Rome situations.But there is a second option...that of Phoenicians or Jews.Hellenistic times as well when Jews started to moving out from the Levant.

As for Pontic Greeks.They are mostly a combination of a south caucasus population(colchian/kartvelian) and bronze age anatolian group.Bronze Age anatolia lacks steppe DNA..as south caucasians do!!!!

Target: Greek_Trabzon
    Distance: 0.9563% / 0.00956343
    40.2 RUS_North_Caucasus_MBA
    38.8 TUR_Kaman-Kalehoyuk_MLBA
    10.4 Levant_Megiddo_IA
    7.8 Iberia_Northeast_Empuries2
    2.8 RUS_Catacomb

Target: Greek_Trabzon
    Distance: 1.1125% / 0.01112519
    43.4 TUR_Kaman-Kalehoyuk_MLBA
    40.0 RUS_North_Caucasus_MBA
    7.0 Iberia_Northeast_Empuries2
    6.6 Levant_Abel_IA
    3.0 RUS_Catacomb

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (02-23-2021),  antpet (02-24-2021),  Jatt1 (02-24-2021),  Lupriac (02-23-2021),  Ryukendo (06-11-2021),  XXD (05-07-2021)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast