Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: MTDNA HAPLOGROUP J2A1

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    128
    Sex
    Location
    Lantana, Florida, U.S.A.
    Ethnicity
    Italian & English
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1c
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1

    Italy England North of England United States of America

    MTDNA HAPLOGROUP J2A1

    Hi everyone. I recently discovered on the Maternal Line, Im MtDNA Haplogroup J, and my Subclade is J2a1. All of my Maternal ancestry traceable is in Tuscany, Italy. Does anyone have any knowledge further on the demography or history of or anything else regarding J2a1? What "archaeological cultures" it could be tied to is of immense interest. All I know of it so far, is that it split from J2a about 16.500 YPB in Europe, so is a native European Subclade of J.

  2. #2
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,330
    Sex
    Location
    California
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a

    England Denmark Wales Scotland Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Barellalee View Post
    Hi everyone. I recently discovered on the Maternal Line, Im MtDNA Haplogroup J, and my Subclade is J2a1. All of my Maternal ancestry traceable is in Tuscany, Italy. Does anyone have any knowledge further on the demography or history of or anything else regarding J2a1? What "archaeological cultures" it could be tied to is of immense interest. All I know of it so far, is that it split from J2a about 16.500 YPB in Europe, so is a native European Subclade of J.
    Jean M. in her book "Ancestral Journeys," connects the arrival of mtHG J in Europe with the Funnel Beaker (also known as TRB from the German name of Trichterbecher) culture and the introduction of dairy farming around 4000 BC into northern Europe.

    My own mt line is J2a1a1, and stems from southern Sweden. A possible explanation is that your line got to Tuscany with the Lombards or Ostrogoths, but I imagine there could well be other possibilities as well.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldenHind For This Useful Post:

     Dauv (06-03-2015)

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    128
    Sex
    Location
    Lantana, Florida, U.S.A.
    Ethnicity
    Italian & English
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1c
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1

    Italy England North of England United States of America
    Thank you, and thanks for the reference to that culture, I was previously unaware of. As it looks, about 44% of ethnic Italians belong to MtDNA H, and the remainder fall nearly completely into U, T, and J. I guess I'd be an odd case if I was of Germanic Maternal descent, since the record is that the Ostrogothic and Longobardic invasions consisted mostly of smaller groups of male warriors entering and taking over by force, and DNA evidence hasn't showed up much Northern European in Italy. I.do see what you mean though. J2a1, my particular brand, is more common in the Alps, Scandinavia, Germany, and England. My Great-Grandfather was from the Alps in the Massa-Carrara Province, but obviously it wasn't him my MtDNA came from lol. My Great-Grandmother who it did come from was from Livorno.

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Posts
    5
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Barellalee View Post
    Thank you, and thanks for the reference to that culture, I was previously unaware of. As it looks, about 44% of ethnic Italians belong to MtDNA H, and the remainder fall nearly completely into U, T, and J. I guess I'd be an odd case if I was of Germanic Maternal descent, since the record is that the Ostrogothic and Longobardic invasions consisted mostly of smaller groups of male warriors entering and taking over by force, and DNA evidence hasn't showed up much Northern European in Italy. I.do see what you mean though. J2a1, my particular brand, is more common in the Alps, Scandinavia, Germany, and England. My Great-Grandfather was from the Alps in the Massa-Carrara Province, but obviously it wasn't him my MtDNA came from lol. My Great-Grandmother who it did come from was from Livorno.
    Lombards (Longobards), Ostrogoths or other Germanic tribes that settled in Tuscany.

    Not true that Ostrogothic and Longobardic invasions consisted mostly of smaller groups of male warriors only.

    Read this

    Fu un esodo di massa, che nei numeri va comunque ridimensionato alla demografia del tempo: compresi uomini, donne, bambini, servi si tratt˛ di circa cento-centocinquantamila longobardi, che salgono fino a trecentomila unitÓ se calcoliamo, peraltro in maniera approssimativa data l'indeterminatezza delle fonti, gli altri gruppi germanici.
    150.000 Longobards (men, women, kids, slaves...), plus other 150.000 Germanic people.

    http://www.lombardiabeniculturali.it...a/?unita=01.01

  6. #5
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,529
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312>DF19>DF88
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1e
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2a1 Z6065>Y7708>M47
    mtDNA (P)
    H1j

    United States of America Lebanon Germany United Kingdom Belgium Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenHind View Post
    Jean M. in her book "Ancestral Journeys," connects the arrival of mtHG J in Europe with the Funnel Beaker (also known as TRB from the German name of Trichterbecher) culture and the introduction of dairy farming around 4000 BC into northern Europe.

    My own mt line is J2a1a1, and stems from southern Sweden. A possible explanation is that your line got to Tuscany with the Lombards or Ostrogoths, but I imagine there could well be other possibilities as well.
    My MtDNA is also J2a1a1, but as far as I know, all of my maternal relatives were from the Lebanese/Syrian region.
    I don't know if some women came south with the Varangian Guard or Sigurd's Norwegian Crusade, but the "old battleaxe" mother-in-law jokes just write themselves...

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

     Il PapÓ (07-19-2016)

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Posts
    1
    Sex

    I am Puerto Rican with Maternal J2a1a1

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post
    My MtDNA is also J2a1a1, but as far as I know, all of my maternal relatives were from the Lebanese/Syrian region.
    I don't know if some women came south with the Varangian Guard or Sigurd's Norwegian Crusade, but the "old battleaxe" mother-in-law jokes just write themselves...
    I understand how you feel. I am Puerto Rican and was surprised to be in the J2a1a1 maternal haplogroup. Common belief is that the European DNA came from men emigrating to PR and that native and african DNA came primarily from the female side.

    My DNA spread is very typical of PR, 60% European, 25% African and 15% Native Indian. Even though I knew that going back to my great-grandmother the women were white, I still expected a different outcome.

    Now I am trying to figure out who this crazy woman was that crossed the Atlantic sometime prior to 1800.

    Seeing comments about Scandinavian DNA in J2a1a1 is also interesting. I did my mom's DNA and she has 6% Finnish DNA.

  9. #7
    Banned
    Posts
    380
    Sex
    Location
    Caen
    Ethnicity
    81% FRA+13% ITA+6% SPA
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b U152 Z56 BY3538
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1, H13a1a1

    France New Caledonia Italy Spain Luxembourg Switzerland
    J2a1a1 seems to be coming from the neolithic levant or related people. Judging by his presence in late neholitic Spain people http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0105105 (it's written as j2a1a but in the new paper of Lazaridis "The genetic structure of the world's first farmers", it's J2a1a1) who are supposed to inherit a great deal of their DNA from the Nelithic Levant. And his presence among current Lebanese population, you're the second person from this region I saw bearing it Dewsloth.

    So the most probable is that J2a1a1 get to Europe from the Levant with neolithic farmer, not dumb story like a Norwegian Queen crusader going to the levant to make babies.
    Last edited by Il PapÓ; 08-01-2016 at 03:44 AM.

  10. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,044
    Sex
    Location
    South Wales
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

    Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    My maternal side as far as family knowledge is all Welsh, South West Wales, and I'm J2a1a1, also the males side is also from this area and am oddly R1a1a,
    My family always said they found me under a gooseberry bush, maybe they wasn't lying..

  11. #9
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,529
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312>DF19>DF88
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1e
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2a1 Z6065>Y7708>M47
    mtDNA (P)
    H1j

    United States of America Lebanon Germany United Kingdom Belgium Switzerland
    Well, FTDNA just changed me from J2a1a1 to J2a1a1e. Not sure what to make of that. Now to research that subclade...
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112>BY44243

    Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Thomas Gunn (DF19) b1605; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

     Il PapÓ (03-24-2017)

  13. #10
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,529
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312>DF19>DF88
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1e
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2a1 Z6065>Y7708>M47
    mtDNA (P)
    H1j

    United States of America Lebanon Germany United Kingdom Belgium Switzerland
    Here's the distribution of MDKAs on FTDNA for J2a1a1e:

    HVR1, HVR2, AND CODING REGION MATCHES

    HVR1, HVR2, AND CODING REGION MATCHES
    Haplogroup Country Comment Count
    J2a1a1e Denmark - 3
    J2a1a1e France - 2
    J2a1a1e Germany - 5
    J2a1a1e Italy - 2
    J2a1a1e Lithuania - 1
    J2a1a1e Norway - 9
    J2a1a1e Poland - 1
    J2a1a1e Russian Federation - 1
    J2a1a1e Sweden - 3
    J2a1a1e Switzerland - 2
    J2a1a1e Syrian Arab Republic - 1
    J2a1a1e United Kingdom - 1
    J2a1a1e United States - 1


    ^^^ It looks Nordic-Baltic, with light scattering where Vikings/Normans/Teutonic knights made port?
    Last edited by Dewsloth; 03-30-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112>BY44243

    Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Thomas Gunn (DF19) b1605; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

     Il PapÓ (03-30-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-19-2019, 06:15 AM
  2. mtDNA haplogroup
    By mlcarson in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-03-2019, 07:11 PM
  3. Neanderthal Y & mtdna haplogroup(s)
    By King in forum Ancient (aDNA)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-13-2016, 07:26 PM
  4. J2a1 MtDNA Haplotype
    By Barellalee in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2014, 02:05 AM
  5. mtDNA haplogroup U5b2c
    By J Man in forum U
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2014, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •