Ethnicity
    It/Pl/Sw/NA
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (P)
    EV13

United States Betsy Ross Italy Sicily Poland Russia Tatarstan Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebizur View Post
    Has your father's mtDNA been fully tested and confirmed to belong to D5a2* (as opposed to any known subclade of D5a2)?

The Bashkirs of Bashkortostan are a Turkic-speaking ethnic group that possesses its own peculiar assortment of lineages of diverse origins. I would not dare to proffer a guess about the earlier origin of your father's maternal line without high resolution results regarding his mtDNA.

As I have mentioned previously, the greatest diversity (and, in general, the greatest density of distribution and overall population size) of mtDNA haplogroup D5a2 is found in East Asia, while one particular (and apparently very young) subclade, D5a2a2, is highly frequent among the Yakut, a Turkic-speaking ethnic group of mainly the middle Lena basin (including the basins of its Vilyuy and Aldan tributaries) in eastern Siberia. There is also one very young branch, labeled as D5a2a1a1b1 on the current version of the YFull mtree, that exhibits a T15905C mutation and that has been found among people in Poland in several academic studies. Examples of mtDNA that share a A15218G mutation with the Polish D5a2a1a1b1 lineage but do not share the T15905C mutation (and instead exhibit their own distinctive G3391A mutation) have been found in two Uyghur individuals. Most close relatives of this Polish-Uyghur clade are found among present-day Japanese, but the Japanese clade is probably only about two to four thousand years old, and it may represent descendants of some migrant(s) from a Metal Age culture of China.
    That Polish-Japanese connection is something very interesting; would it be a result of the Mongol Empire that the haplogroup spread? My dad's is D5a2a, and the test seems to skew him towards Siberian populations suchs as koryaks/Chukchi. Does this place him close to Japanese people? He reports siberian on Gedmatch at a rate of 7%-14% on the breakdown (Puntdnal) of Aluetian. Something you may find interesting is that I believe one of my ancestors was sent to a Polish settlement in Manchuria.
    Last edited by Sokoski; 03-04-2021 at 09:49 PM.
    Haplogroups:

Paternal: EV13

Maternal: J2

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Sokoski View Post
    That Polish-Japanese connection is something very interesting; would it be a result of the Mongol Empire that the haplogroup spread? My dad's is D5a2a, and the test seems to skew him towards Siberian populations suchs as koryaks/Chukchi. Does this place him close to Japanese people? He reports siberian on Gedmatch at a rate of 7%-14% on the breakdown (Puntdnal) of Aluetian. Something you may find interesting is that I believe one of my ancestors was sent to a Polish settlement in Manchuria.
    Do you know whether your father's mtDNA exhibits a transition T16092C?

MtDNA that belongs to D5a2a but that does not exhibit the transition T16092C has been found in eight academic samples from China (three are from a mother and her twin children in a study of pairs of twins who are discordant for schizophrenia; one might argue that it would be sensible to count these three entries as one case in the context of the present thread). It also has been found in a Buryat from Russia (FJ951467 on GenBank or Buryat_Br350 from the data set of Derenko et al. 2010). The mtDNA haplotree at FTDNA has a case of D5a2a(xT16092C) with Japan as reported country of origin. YFull also has tabulated three other cases of D5a2a(xT16092C), one of which has a reported origin in Tula Oblast of Russia.

Except the Yakuts and their D5a2a2 mtDNA, haplogroup D5 is quite rare among indigenous Siberians. Dryomov et al. (2021) found only one case of mtDNA haplogroup D5 among 218 samples of mtDNA from Siberians, and that was the mtDNA of a Todzhi (Tozhu Tuvan) from Adir-Kezhig, Todzhinsky District, Tuva Republic who belonged to D5a2a1-C16172T!, which is basal to the Japanese-Uyghur-Polish D5a2a1a clade that I have mentioned previously in this thread. (However, cases of mtDNA that appear to form a clade with Japanese-Uyghur-Polish D5a2a1a vis--vis the mtDNA of the Todzhi individual from Adir-Kezhig have been found in the HGDP sample of Burusho from Pakistan and in a sample from China.)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    It/Pl/Sw/NA
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (P)
    EV13

United States Betsy Ross Italy Sicily Poland Russia Tatarstan Sweden
    Never mind on this; it was from wegene. I tested him as his mtdna is L0d
    Haplogroups:

Paternal: EV13