Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: J-L26 in South Asia

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    346
    Sex
    Location
    Germany
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

    India

    J-L26 in South Asia

    So I have been digging a bit into my paternal haplogroup and a few months ago, I found out through Morley DNA-Predictor that it is J-L26 (I shall be eternally grateful to aaronbee2010 for his help, as I myself was completely and embarrassingly clueless about the whole thing).

    I put the matter to rest assuming that it was passed down by an IVC-ancestor, as it is found in many South Asians with Iran_N rich ancestry. I have read that it originated in the fertile crescent and was most probably brought to SA by Iranian agriculturists. (Users midichlorian and MuslimPatel123 also belong to this haplogroup, if I am correctly informed.)

    So far so good. However, I uploaded my raw data to the Yseq clade finder today and my subclade came out to be J-Y8344.

    https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Y8344/

    There are not many people under this branch on the YTree and most of them seem to be Europeans.

    I would be very thankful for any ideas/inputs. How reliable is the clade finder? Could it be that this particular clade is related to the Indo-Aryans, considering the lack of West Asian samples under J-Y8344? Or is it just undersampling?

    I am really a novice when it comes to haplogroups, so any help would be appreciated.
    “Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, “Nay, sorrow is the greater.”
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.”
    ― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923

  2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

     1938helerich (03-02-2021),  aaronbee2010 (03-02-2021),  Ahmed Ali (03-02-2021),  AlluGobi (03-02-2021),  davit (03-02-2021),  desi (03-02-2021),  discreetmaverick (03-02-2021),  ESPLover4 (03-03-2021),  Jatt1 (03-02-2021),  misanthropy (03-02-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (03-02-2021),  MuslimPatel123 (03-02-2021),  Reza (03-02-2021),  subzero85 (03-02-2021),  tipirneni (03-02-2021)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    547
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Awadhi
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2- (J-Z6082)
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d1a

    I’m J-L26 but in a different clade than you.

    I’m under J-PF5169.

    J2 haplogroups can have complex distributions geographically relating to men migrating from the Iranian plateau to Europe, India, and the Middle East.
    Last edited by subzero85; 03-03-2021 at 02:57 AM.

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to subzero85 For This Useful Post:

     AlluGobi (03-02-2021),  Kirtan24 (03-02-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (03-02-2021),  MuslimPatel123 (03-02-2021),  Reza (03-02-2021)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    879
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirtan24 View Post
    So I have been digging a bit into my paternal haplogroup and a few months ago, I found out through Morley DNA-Predictor that it is J-L26 (I shall be eternally grateful to aaronbee2010 for his help, as I myself was completely and embarrassingly clueless about the whole thing).

    I put the matter to rest assuming that it was passed down by an IVC-ancestor, as it is found in many South Asians with Iran_N rich ancestry. I have read that it originated in the fertile crescent and was most probably brought to SA by Iranian agriculturists. (Users midichlorian and MuslimPatel123 also belong to this haplogroup, if I am correctly informed.)

    So far so good. However, I uploaded my raw data to the Yseq clade finder today and my subclade came out to be J-Y8344.

    https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Y8344/

    There are not many people under this branch on the YTree and most of them seem to be Europeans.

    I would be very thankful for any ideas/inputs. How reliable is the clade finder? Could it be that this particular clade is related to the Indo-Aryans, considering the lack of West Asian samples under J-Y8344? Or is it just undersampling?

    I am really a novice when it comes to haplogroups, so any help would be appreciated.
    What test did you take? IA or not it certainly looks like a European branch.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

     Kirtan24 (03-02-2021)

  7. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    109
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kashmiri/Punjabi/UP
    Nationality
    Malang
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2 > J-Y62635+
    mtDNA (M)
    M4a

    Pakistan United Kingdom India
    If I were you, I'd order J-Y8344, J-Y130538 and J-Y8362 from YSEQ, and see which one you fall in to. You can also contact them before you do and see if they can give you a batch discount, as they did with me. But yeah, this looks a IA branch at the very least.

    I am more novice than you so if this doesn't make sense, ignore!
    Last edited by AlluGobi; 03-02-2021 at 02:23 PM.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlluGobi For This Useful Post:

     desi (03-02-2021),  Kirtan24 (03-02-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (03-02-2021),  Reza (03-02-2021)

  9. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    86
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Ethnicity
    Bihari
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-FGC54257
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a1b
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-Y39854

    Canada Pakistan India
    The clade finder is reliable. I have had multiple users test on it and it has been consistant after they fully analyzed their Y-Haplogroup.

    Yes try one of YSEQ SNP J2 packs. Or the J2 Superclade Panel.

  10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Biharguy For This Useful Post:

     AlluGobi (03-02-2021),  ESPLover4 (03-03-2021),  Kirtan24 (03-02-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (03-02-2021),  Reza (03-02-2021),  subzero85 (03-02-2021)

  11. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    90
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Bharuchi Vohra Patel
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26
    mtDNA (M)
    R8a1a1c
    mtDNA (P)
    M2b1

    I'm under J-PF5197 according to Yseq clade finder.

  12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MuslimPatel123 For This Useful Post:

     AlluGobi (03-02-2021),  AM011 (03-08-2021),  ESPLover4 (03-03-2021),  Kirtan24 (03-02-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (03-02-2021),  Reza (03-02-2021),  subzero85 (03-02-2021)

  13. #7
    Global Moderator
    Posts
    851
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657
    mtDNA (M)
    M4b1

    My father in law is also J-L26 on 23andme.

    On the clade finder, he comes up as J-PF5197 which is the same as MuslimPatel123 and 3 clades upstream of subzero85's J-PF5197> PF5172 > Z7314 > PF5169. There seems to be a downstream branch for all the above J-Z7429 which has alot of South Asians on it.

    All the above are downstream of J-PF5160 whereas Kirtan24, yours is downstream of a sister branch J-PF5116
    Paternal; Y-DNA: R1a-L657> Y6> Y11> Y920*
    Paternal; mtDNA: M5b'c
    Maternal; Y-DNA: R1a-L657> Y6
    Maternal; mtDNA: M4b1
    Maternal Grandmother; Y-DNA: R1a-L657> Y6
    Maternal Grandfather; mtDNA: M3a1
    Maternal Grandfather MGF; Y-DNA: Q-M346

  14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reza For This Useful Post:

     AlluGobi (03-02-2021),  AM011 (03-08-2021),  Biharguy (03-02-2021),  ESPLover4 (03-03-2021),  Kirtan24 (03-02-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (03-02-2021),  MuslimPatel123 (03-02-2021),  subzero85 (03-02-2021)

  15. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    346
    Sex
    Location
    Germany
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

    India
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatt1 View Post
    What test did you take? IA or not it certainly looks like a European branch.
    I used the the Yseq clade finder.
    “Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, “Nay, sorrow is the greater.”
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.”
    ― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923

  16. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    346
    Sex
    Location
    Germany
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

    India
    Quote Originally Posted by Biharguy View Post
    The clade finder is reliable. I have had multiple users test on it and it has been consistant after they fully analyzed their Y-Haplogroup.

    Yes try one of YSEQ SNP J2 packs. Or the J2 Superclade Panel.
    Yes, I'll most probably go for the J2 superclade panel as soon as I am back in Germany. Quite intrigued, to be honest.
    Last edited by Kirtan24; 03-02-2021 at 04:40 PM.
    “Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, “Nay, sorrow is the greater.”
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.”
    ― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

     AlluGobi (03-02-2021)

  18. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    346
    Sex
    Location
    Germany
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

    India
    Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    My father in law is also J-L26 on 23andme.

    On the clade finder, he comes up as J-PF5197 which is the same as MuslimPatel123 and 3 clades upstream of subzero85's J-PF5197> PF5172 > Z7314 > PF5169. There seems to be a downstream branch for all the above J-Z7429 which has alot of South Asians on it.

    All the above are downstream of J-PF5160 whereas Kirtan24, yours is downstream of a sister branch J-PF5116
    Indeed, the sister branch J-PF5116 seems to be quite diverse with samples ranging from Arabian, West Asian, Mediterranean, European and even a few South Asian ones.
    But J-Y8344 looks exclusively European.
    “Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, “Nay, sorrow is the greater.”
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.”
    ― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

     AlluGobi (03-02-2021)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2020, 09:38 AM
  2. I in South Asia
    By Smashorpass in forum I
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2018, 01:04 AM
  3. Looking at South Asia
    By Chad Rohlfsen in forum Ancient (aDNA)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-02-2018, 07:10 AM
  4. Q1b in south asia
    By Lara101 in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2017, 11:39 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •