Thread: Determining my specific subclade

Sex

Determining my specific subclade

Hey all,

I used to be somewhat up-to-date when it came to genetics but haven't really looked into things for like a decade so I'm basically a newbie now.

So I took a Y-DNA hapologroup test with FTDNA many years ago and was R1b - M269

For me to determine what my exact subclade is, would the "R1b - M343&M269 Backbone SNP Pack" be enough or am I potentially going to have to keep on purchasing more of these SNP packs if my Y-dna is further 'downstream'?

Or am I actually confirmed to be R1b - M269 and nothing further is needed to be tested? I have a feeling that I had to pay for extra testing to determine me being M269 in the first place.

I had my STR markers done upto 37 done if that is of any relevance. My background is Turkish if relevant.

They don't have my sample anymore so I would have to resubmit it.

Advice would be appreciated
    Last edited by zxspectrum; 03-02-2021 at 04:01 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zxspectrum For This Useful Post:

JMcB (03-02-2021)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-L338
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1

United Kingdom Northumberland European Union
    Welcome to the forums - my understanding is that FTDNA will give you a general prediction of R-M269 from STRs (regardless of how many you test) until you test SNPs. I won't provide specific advice on R1b as I'm less familiar with that haplogroup than some, but I'm sure someone else will comment.

If you haven't already, there are two things I would recommend: 1) join the R1b all subclades project at FTDNA - go here while you're logged into your FTDNA account and click join https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b/about admins will look at your STR results and see if they can place you by comparison with other kits in the database; and 2) enter you STR markers in the Nevgen predictor here https://www.nevgen.org/

With only 37 markers, there might not be enough data to make an accurate prediction, but both are a free analysis of results you already have, so there's nothing to lose. It may be that either suggests something that points you in the right direction.
    Haplogroup I1 Ancient DNA Samples Map: Hidden Content

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (03-02-2021),  karwiso (03-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

No you are only confirmed down to M269 in the tree which is actually very high up (ie old). You will have to do further pack/panel testing or do a sequencing test to progress, depending on your budget and how badly you want the most precise haplogroup available.
    For example I am FGC5862 and that is 19 levels lower down than M269 as you will see from the tabs at the top of this page:

https://yfull.com/tree/R-FGC5862/
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

JMcB (03-02-2021),  karwiso (03-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ingrian + Russian
    Nationality
    Swedish, Russian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1-Z92
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3k

Finland Russian Federation Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by zxspectrum View Post
    Hey all,
    For me to determine what my exact subclade is, would the "R1b - M343&M269 Backbone SNP Pack" be enough or am I potentially going to have to keep on purchasing more of these SNP packs if my Y-dna is further 'downstream'?
    Advice would be appreciated
    If you want to have your exact subclade, then you should order BigY700 or do a WGS test and an analysis at Yfull. If you cannot afford BigY, then upgrading to Y111 and saving some money for future upgrade to BigY is a much better option, than buying a SNP Pack and single SNP. With BigY you will get all possible SNPs and future subclade upgrades when someone else from your subclade gets BigY.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karwiso For This Useful Post:

losAntonis (03-04-2021),  RobertCasey (03-05-2021),  Saetro (03-12-2021)