Ethnicity
    It/Pl/Sw/NA
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (P)
    EV13

United States Betsy Ross Italy Sicily Poland Russia Tatarstan Sweden

Question Latin American Calculator

Does anyone know of or have a calculator with Latin American samples (such as Cuban or Venezuelan)?
    Haplogroups:

Paternal: EV13

Maternal: J2

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Brazil Azores Italy Ladinia
    These groups are not ethnicities. Having Latin American samples equals having in a single sample 'White Americans', Afro-Americans, Japanese-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Native North Americans, French-Canadians, Lousiana Creoles, Indian-Canadians, Somali-Canadians and Canadians of British Ancestry and calling them all ''North American'' or just including WASPS and Afro-Americans in a single ''American'' group. Even in homogeneously admixed groups like Mexicans (in the sense that almost everyone is admixed, I'm not saying all have the same ratios) most people will have quite different scores, someone that is 75% European, 21% Indigenous and 4% SSA cannot be part of the same genetic group as someone that is 75% Amerindian, 21% European and 4% SSA. Both are Mexican and mixed, but their genetic stories are quite different and in social terms the latter will probably identify as Native American.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caius Agrippa For This Useful Post:

Lenny Nero (03-17-2021),  Nino90 (03-11-2021),  Sokoski (03-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    It/Pl/Sw/NA
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (P)
    EV13

Quote Originally Posted by Caius Agrippa View Post
    These groups are not ethnicities. Having Latin American samples equals having in a single sample 'White Americans', Afro-Americans, Japanese-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Native North Americans, French-Canadians, Lousiana Creoles, Indian-Canadians, Somali-Canadians and Canadians of British Ancestry and calling them all ''North American'' or just including WASPS and Afro-Americans in a single ''American'' group. Even in homogeneously admixed groups like Mexicans (in the sense that almost everyone is admixed, I'm not saying all have the same ratios) most people will have quite different scores, someone that is 75% European, 21% Indigenous and 4% SSA cannot be part of the same genetic group as someone that is 75% Amerindian, 21% European and 4% SSA. Both are Mexican and mixed, but their genetic stories are quite different and in social terms the latter will probably identify as Native American.
    I’m aware that these countries vary greatly ethnically, didn’t mean to sound ignorant. I meant more is there one with general population samples.
    Haplogroups:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sokoski For This Useful Post:

Caius Agrippa (03-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Germanic
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a1

Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican Italy Tuscany
    Making a Latin American calculator - You should use Iberian samples + Native South american + West African + maybe
    Sephardi (Iberian jewish).

That will give a somewhat accurate calculator.
    Hidden Content

Target: Nino_scaled
    Distance: 3.1640% / 0.03163963 | R3P
    64.4 __Germanic
    26.4 __IllyricRoman
    9.2 __Finnic

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nino90 For This Useful Post:

Caius Agrippa (03-11-2021),  okarinaofsteiner (03-13-2021),  Sokoski (03-11-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    It/Pl/Sw/NA
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (P)
    EV13

Quote Originally Posted by Nino90 View Post
    Making a Latin American calculator - You should use Iberian samples + Native South american + West African + maybe
    Sephardi (Iberian jewish).

That will give a somewhat accurate calculator.
    This is great! Thanks
    Haplogroups:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Actually I think Cuban and Venezuelan are ethnicities.

Here is how ethnicity is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary:

https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/64791...=ethnicity#eid

2. Status in respect of membership of a group regarded as ultimately of common descent, or having a common national or cultural tradition; ethnic character.

Ethnicity covers culture and nationality as well as genetics.

However, I think it would be more meaningful to use European, Native American and African source populations with G25. I'm not an expert in Latin American genetics by any stretch, but a lot of people will have some mix of European, Native American and possibly African or Asian genes.

AncestryDNA communities could be quite meaningful though in terms of finding genetic communities:

https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/b...bbean-and-more

The communities are in addition to so-called ethnicity estimates.
    Last edited by lana6765; 03-11-2021 at 11:47 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

okarinaofsteiner (03-13-2021),  peloponnesian (03-12-2021),  Sokoski (03-12-2021)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Zanzibar
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1307
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b1a

ZanzibarSultanate United Kingdom Uganda
    Not yet I'm just waiting on my machine to get fixed so I can work through some Latino samples. Then hopefully Davidski gets them uploaded.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThaYamamoto For This Useful Post:

drobbah (03-12-2021),  Sokoski (03-12-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Somaliland Adal Sultanate Yemen African Union Canada
    Would love to see the Dominicans and Afro-Latino samples (including Brazilians) on an African pca plot.They would probably plot closest to intermediate Maghrebi samples and then Horners with some plotting near the coastal Maghrebis themselves.
    Target: Drobbah_scaled
    Distance: 2.8833% / 0.02883253
    93.8 Somali
    6.2 Yemenite_Dhamar

FTDNA myorigins 3.0:
    Eritrea, Northern Ethiopia & Somalia
    94%
    Yemenite Jewish
    6%

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

Aben Aboo (03-12-2021),  Sokoski (03-12-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Brazil Azores Italy Ladinia
    Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    Actually I think Cuban and Venezuelan are ethnicities.

Here is how ethnicity is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary:

https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/64791...=ethnicity#eid

2. Status in respect of membership of a group regarded as ultimately of common descent, or having a common national or cultural tradition; ethnic character.

Ethnicity covers culture and nationality as well as genetics.

However, I think it would be more meaningful to use European, Native American and African source populations with G25. I'm not an expert in Latin American genetics by any stretch, but a lot of people will have some mix of European, Native American and possibly African or Asian genes.

AncestryDNA communities could be quite meaningful though in terms of finding genetic communities:

https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/b...bbean-and-more

The communities are in addition to so-called ethnicity estimates.
    They are ethnicities only if we consider things like language, culture and identity. I agree with that, but this a genetics discussion. I actually think Davidski is quite right in not including Latin American samples on Global 25 spreadsheet. It would basically skew the results for the vast majority of Latin Americans, if you take a DNA test you're interested in knowing which populations contributed to your genetic heritage, so no one in Brazil or Mexico wants to know that they can be modeled as half North Italian and half Puerto Rican, it actually doesn't mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by drobbah View Post
    Would love to see the Dominicans and Afro-Latino samples (including Brazilians) on an African pca plot.They would probably plot closest to intermediate Maghrebi samples and then Horners with some plotting near the coastal Maghrebis themselves.
    I believe most Brazilians with Global 25 would either plot with Southwestern Europeans, with Balkanites, Turks or in between Southwestern Europeans and North Africans in a global PCA plot (I'm talking about the ones I've seen). I think that including recently admixed samples in continental wide PCAs is quite mistaken, no serious researcher would do that, it isn't meaningful in any sense (the distances are actually much higher than what is shown in a 2 dimensions PCA and serious distortions can happen).
    Last edited by Caius Agrippa; 03-12-2021 at 04:55 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caius Agrippa For This Useful Post:

Sokoski (03-12-2021),  ThaYamamoto (03-12-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Somaliland Adal Sultanate Yemen African Union Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Caius Agrippa View Post
    They are ethnicities only if we consider things like language, culture and identity. I agree with that, but this a genetics discussion. I actually think Davidski is quite right in not including Latin American samples on Global 25 spreadsheet. It would basically skew the results for the vast majority of Latin Americans, if you take a DNA test you're interested in knowing which populations contributed to your genetic heritage, so no one in Brazil or Mexico wants to know that they can be modeled as half North Italian and half Puerto Rican, it actually doesn't mean anything.

I believe most Brazilians with Global 25 would either plot with Southwestern Europeans, with Balkanites, Turks or in between Southwestern Europeans and North Africans in a global PCA plot (I'm talking about the ones I've seen). I think that including recently admixed samples in continental wide PCAs is quite mistaken, no serious researcher would do that, it isn't meaningful in any sense (the distances are actually much higher than what is shown in a 2 dimensions PCA and serious distortions can happen).
    Why would Afro-Brazilians plot next to Europeans or East Med populations.I am talking about black people and those with significant black admixture (more than 15% SSA) not white latinos

18. The Following User Says Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

okarinaofsteiner (03-13-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast