mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales

Testing of roughly 350 year old teeth

Does anyone know of any laboratory which would be willing to attempt DNA testing of teeth found during an archaeological dig believed to be roughly 350 years old? The teeth were found on the site of the homestead of Joseph Howland, son of Pilgrim John Howland. The property was only occupied for a couple of generations, so we believe the teeth belong to an immediate family member of Joseph (possibly child or less likely grandchild).

The Pilgrim John Howland Society (PJHS) has contacted commercial testing companies (FTDNA, Full Genomes, Y-Seq) and they have declined to test (as they do not have the experience in testing old remains) and ancient labs (such as the David Reich Lab) have stated the remains are too recent for their interest.

Given the high probability the teeth belonged to a Howland family member, the PJHS is interested in having the DNA serve as a sort of "proxie" for the autosomal profile for John Howland & Elizabeth Tilley. Theoretically, the teeth should have roughly 1/4 to 1/8 of the DNA from John & Elizabeth and down the road it may be possible to identify autosomal segments in living persons who may match the teeth.

We do know the Y-DNA of Pilgrim John Howland as well as the mtDNA for Elizabeth Tilley. It may also be possible to identify the mtDNA for Elizabeth Southworth, wife of Joseph Howland.
    Gedmatch DNA: M032736 Gedcom: 6613110.
    Gedmatch Genesis: WH4547538
    co-administrator: Y-DNA R-U106 Haplogroup Project

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

brauthaz (03-21-2021),  Grossvater (03-22-2021),  Murphy (08-29-2021),  Rufus191 (03-22-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>Z49>Z142>
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bt
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a2a1b2a1b1>Y4925
    mtDNA (P)
    H37

England Scotland Wales Germany Ireland Sweden Finns
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Genealogist View Post
    Does anyone know of any laboratory which would be willing to attempt DNA testing of teeth found during an archaeological dig believed to be roughly 350 years old? The teeth were found on the site of the homestead of Joseph Howland, son of Pilgrim John Howland. The property was only occupied for a couple of generations, so we believe the teeth belong to an immediate family member of Joseph (possibly child or less likely grandchild).

The Pilgrim John Howland Society (PJHS) has contacted commercial testing companies (FTDNA, Full Genomes, Y-Seq) and they have declined to test (as they do not have the experience in testing old remains) and ancient labs (such as the David Reich Lab) have stated the remains are too recent for their interest.

Given the high probability the teeth belonged to a Howland family member, the PJHS is interested in having the DNA serve as a sort of "proxie" for the autosomal profile for John Howland & Elizabeth Tilley. Theoretically, the teeth should have roughly 1/4 to 1/8 of the DNA from John & Elizabeth and down the road it may be possible to identify autosomal segments in living persons who may match the teeth.

We do know the Y-DNA of Pilgrim John Howland as well as the mtDNA for Elizabeth Tilley. It may also be possible to identify the mtDNA for Elizabeth Southworth, wife of Joseph Howland.
    No but I have hair samples and a post card with stamp that I wanted to test, so I would be interested if you find a entity willing to do it...assuming I can afford it.
    Y DNA line continued: Z142>Z12222>FGC12378>FGC12401>FGC12384
    35% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German, 5% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French/Dutch, 1% India
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
    No but I have hair samples and a post card with stamp that I wanted to test, so I would be interested if you find a entity willing to do it...assuming I can afford it.
    I ask FTDNA a few years back about getting a hair from a ring made in memory of a presumed member of my family tested and Bennett Greenspan replied that hair wasn't much good for DNA testing so to leave the ring alone.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

MitchellSince1893 (03-21-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z142
    mtDNA (M)
    H10g

Totheletter DNA tests teeth according to their FAQ page.

A razor may have skin cells under the blades, and teeth may have DNA captured in the centre of the tooth under the enamel. In the case of these types of artefacts, we will discuss your individual case with you at the time of visual inspection.
    https://www.totheletterdna.com/envelopes-faqs

Genie1 has a page that has companies doing artefact testing:

https://genie1.com.au/deceased-dna/
    Last edited by teepean47; 03-22-2021 at 07:32 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teepean47 For This Useful Post:

Tomenable (03-22-2021),  Wing Genealogist (03-22-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>FGC6545>Y160102
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2h
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland Ireland Connacht Ireland County Roscommon Ireland County Galway Ireland County Mayo
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
    I remember reading about Living DNA providing the service for envelopes.

This is what this website says:
    In addition to MyHeritage, a British company called Living DNA began informally offering the service for $400 to $600 last year, and a small Australian start-up called Totheletter DNA, which specializes in DNA from envelopes and stamps, launched a similarly priced service in July. MyHeritage says its own service should debut later this year.
    This website makes this claim:
    I asked David Nicholson, Managing Director of Living DNA, if extracting and testing DNA samples from old letters or postage stamps would be available to the general public and he confirmed that this service would be widely available by the end of 2018 at a cost of $1,000-$2,500.

“We test both [envelope flap and stamp], depending on which have been licked and then not touched. The flap is great if a letter opener has been used,” Nicholson adds.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (P) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
    Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
    Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

MitchellSince1893 (03-22-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b U152+Z36+A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    I wonder what company tested the used napkins of Adolf Hitler's nephew. Are they still in business?

https://www.smh.com.au/world/hitlers...0914-fnu6.html
    Last edited by Grossvater; 03-25-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152-L135

I can't see how any "proxy" value can be given to the DNA of teeth recovered from archaeological dig in terms of attributing it to one person or family. Location alone isn't proof. They may even have belonged to a guest or visitor to the household. Sorry, but t sounds like clutching at straws to me.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish, Polish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FT410160

Ireland Munster Ireland Connacht Poland United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
    I can't see how any "proxy" value can be given to the DNA of teeth recovered from archaeological dig in terms of attributing it to one person or family. Location alone isn't proof. They may even have belonged to a guest or visitor to the household. Sorry, but t sounds like clutching at straws to me.
    I'm sure he realizes that, but he has some information that would serve as a basis for comparison if results should match it would indicate whether or not that tooth came from a relative or not.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Murphy For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (08-30-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-FT41362-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    Have you tried contacting local universities? Specifically archaeology professors. Maybe if the society was willing to fund a small project related to the property that could include DNA testing on the remains and get published it might increase the interest to get it done.
    Last edited by Osiris; 09-02-2021 at 01:20 AM.
    Daughter's ggg grandparents(father to left, mother to right)
    Y-DNA: R-BY4242, R-Z344, ?, ?, E-FT41362, ?, E-L29, ?, R-Z20907, ?, ?, ?, R-L2, R-L20, ?, ?
    MT-DNA: ?, ?, H3g, ?, ?, ?, ?, W6a, ?, N1b1, ?, B4a1a1, ?, U5b2a, ?, H3h, ?, ?, H15a1, ?, ?, ?, ?, I3a, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, K1c1g

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

Wing Genealogist (09-02-2021)