Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Is 24genetics worth their price?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    Is 24genetics worth their price?

    Iím thinking about uploading my raw data.

  2. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    354
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    North, West and East Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-CTS5966
    mtDNA (P)
    H2a3

    United States of America Denmark France Prussia Russia Imperial Germany
    I think you'll find mixed opinions.

    I sent mine in 2018 and they were pretty well off. My paper trail is mixed - 25% Russian, 25% French, 25% German, 12.5% Polish/Prussian, 12.5% Scandinavian mixed.

    My results are:

    Great Britain 38.8%
    Belarus 16.15%
    Poland 15.9%
    Finland 6.75%
    Spain 6.25%
    Ireland 5.25%
    Lithuania 5.25%
    Denmark 4.25%
    Russia 1%
    France 0.15%
    Germany 0.1%
    Sri Lanka 0.1%
    Norway 0.05%

    Most of my French, German and Scandinavian went to Great Britain with smaller bits going to Spain or Ireland. Russian was split Eastern European, Baltic and Karelian in this case, as it typically is. Interesting overall, but like LivingDNA too many proxy locations for me.

    Someone a while back mentioned that they overhauled their breakdowns, but I didn't want to spend more money for a similar breakdown. Perhaps it's better for people with a sole ancestry source, I am not sure.
    Known Ancestry: NW Russian 25%, Central French 25%, North German 25%, Scandinavian (mostly Dane/Swede, distant Norwegian) 12.5%, Polish/Prussian 12.5%

    AncestryDNA (2020 update): Eastern European and Russia 33%, Germanic Europe 32%, Sweden 10%, Norway 7%, Baltics 7%, France 5%, Scotland 4%, Finland 1%, Malta 1%

    23andMe (v5.9): French and German 41.1%, Eastern European 38%, Scandinavian 8%, Finnish 1.6%, British and Irish 0.8%, BNWE 10.2%, North African 0.2%, Broadly European 0.1%

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to boilermeschew827 For This Useful Post:

     Mixed (04-04-2021)

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by boilermeschew827 View Post
    I think you'll find mixed opinions.

    I sent mine in 2018 and they were pretty well off. My paper trail is mixed - 25% Russian, 25% French, 25% German, 12.5% Polish/Prussian, 12.5% Scandinavian mixed.

    My results are:

    Great Britain 38.8%
    Belarus 16.15%
    Poland 15.9%
    Finland 6.75%
    Spain 6.25%
    Ireland 5.25%
    Lithuania 5.25%
    Denmark 4.25%
    Russia 1%
    France 0.15%
    Germany 0.1%
    Sri Lanka 0.1%
    Norway 0.05%

    Most of my French, German and Scandinavian went to Great Britain with smaller bits going to Spain or Ireland. Russian was split Eastern European, Baltic and Karelian in this case, as it typically is. Interesting overall, but like LivingDNA too many proxy locations for me.

    Someone a while back mentioned that they overhauled their breakdowns, but I didn't want to spend more money for a similar breakdown. Perhaps it's better for people with a sole ancestry source, I am not sure.
    Yeah that is quite off. I’m mixed with a few ethnicities and £50 seems like a lot for something like this, especially if their results aren’t the best.

  5. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,929
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

    Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Hard pass in my opinion. I did it a few years ago, results were like a K36 oracle.
    https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post371674
    Last edited by digital_noise; 03-31-2021 at 11:20 PM.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

     Nino90 (04-01-2021)

  7. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    Hard pass in my opinion. I did it a few years ago, results were like a K36 oracle.
    https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post371674

    Yeah I think I’m going to pass up on this one. Are there any other sites you recommend using?

  8. #6
    Administrator
    Posts
    2,367
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

    New Zealand Croatia Star of David Ireland England Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    Yeah I think I’m going to pass up on this one. Are there any other sites you recommend using?
    None worth your money.
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

     digital_noise (04-01-2021),  HBA39 (04-01-2021)

  10. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    5,526
    Sex
    Location
    Poland
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2552
    mtDNA (M)
    W6a

    Poland European Union Poland Pomerania
    Quote Originally Posted by boilermeschew827 View Post
    I sent mine in 2018 and they were pretty well off.
    Back in 2018 they had around 500 regions AFAIK - and now they have over 1500.

    So the results for most people who tested back then would be more accurate now.
    Last edited by Tomenable; 04-01-2021 at 08:36 AM.

  11. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    119
    Sex
    Location
    Poland
    Ethnicity
    Kresy-Śląsk
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a R-M417
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

    Poland
    I bought the test recently and it's more accurate than a few years ago, it makes sense

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slowian For This Useful Post:

     HBA39 (04-04-2021),  LoneWolfJackson1996 (04-07-2021),  Mixed (04-04-2021)

  13. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by slowian View Post
    I bought the test recently and it's more accurate than a few years ago, it makes sense
    I bought a report two days ago. I’m excited for the results

  14. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    Back in 2018 they had around 500 regions AFAIK - and now they have over 1500.

    So the results for most people who tested back then would be more accurate now.


    Hey, I got my results back but I feel like the more detailed it got the less accurate it became. All of my British went to Scotland instead of Ireland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 24genetics results
    By firemonkey in forum 24Genetics
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: 05-22-2021, 08:36 PM
  2. Will 24Genetics ever upgrade their site?
    By Aiden in forum 24Genetics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2020, 09:12 AM
  3. 24Genetics kit vs raw data upload?
    By Aiden in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2019, 09:05 PM
  4. My father's 24genetics results (Kurdish)
    By 95K1ller in forum 24Genetics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-18-2019, 05:05 AM
  5. has anyone done 24genetics?
    By curiousDNAguy12 in forum 24Genetics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2018, 07:39 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •