Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else find secondary sites more accurate than commercial tests?

Registered Users
    Sex

Does anyone else find secondary sites more accurate than commercial tests?

For example I find sequencing.com, geneplaza, YourDNAPortal and DNAGenics a lot more accurate than commercial tests. From my own experience. I tested with ancestry back in 2018/17 and initial report was great but with each update it got worse and worse and I eventually deleted the account. 23andme was okay but gave me a lot of unassigned European which was annoying. LivingDNA greatly over estimated my British ancestry, Iím around 30-40% British and they gave me 60%. MyHeritage I have no words for except wtf.

However DNAGenics, Geneplaza, YourDNAPortal and Sequencing were almost perfect with what I know and they are also consistent with each other. Anybody experience this as well?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    No. I think secondary sites dangle just enough of a carrot in front of you to lead you down a rabbit hole. Add misinformed G25 usage and suddenly people are chasing ghosts. It’s absurd. I won’t say they are all bad but I don’t think they can magically uncover some deep mystery

While not the cheapest, get 2-3 commercial tests under your belt, look at the big picture and build a solid tree. Research > anything.

Let me also add I thinking is importing understand how commercial tests work, and temper your expectations to match what they can deliver. Nothing is going to be as clean it as you think, dna doesn’t follow modern day borders etc...
    Last edited by digital_noise; 04-01-2021 at 04:40 PM.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

HBA39 (04-01-2021),  JMcB (04-01-2021),  MR J (04-02-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    No. I think secondary sites dangle just enough of a carrot in front of you to lead you down a rabbit hole. Add misinformed G25 usage and suddenly people are chasing ghosts. It’s absurd. I won’t say they are all bad but I don’t think they can magically uncover some deep mystery

While not the cheapest, get 2-3 commercial tests under your belt, look at the big picture and build a solid tree. Research > anything.
    I’ve taken all of the commercial tests and they all differ a lot from each other. I just got my TellMeGen results back and suddenly I’m 55% German and 0% Irish & Balkan.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2552
    mtDNA (M)
    W6a

Poland European Union Poland Pomerania
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    I’ve taken all of the commercial tests and they all differ a lot from each other. I just got my TellMeGen results back and suddenly I’m 55% German and 0% Irish & Balkan.
    I saw a French guy scoring 99.99% German and 0% France with TellMeGen.

BTW what exactly makes sequencing.com, geneplaza, YourDNAPortal and DNAGenics "non-commercial"? They are just as commercial as anyone else.

Or do you perhaps mean:

1) Commercial = company with its own lab and its own saliva test kits
    2) Non-commercial = doesn't have a lab, rely 100% on raw data transfers

???

But it doesn't make sense, 2) are still commercial.
    Last edited by Tomenable; 04-01-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    I saw a French guy scoring 99.99% German and 0% France with TellMeGen.

BTW what exactly makes sequencing.com, geneplaza, YourDNAPortal and DNAGenics "non-commercial"? They are just as commercial as anyone else.

Or do you perhaps mean:

1) Commercial = company with its own lab and its own saliva test kits
    2) Non-commercial = doesn't have a lab, rely 100% on raw data transfers

???

But it doesn't make sense, 2) are still commercial.

I’m not good with wording things sorry but I mean anything that’s not the most common ones that are advertised on TV.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HBA39 For This Useful Post:

Tomenable (04-01-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    1/4 Dutch 3/4 Hungarian

G25 and Gedmatch are the best for me better then any commercial test

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England Devon Ireland
    Searching for long lost ancestors in London and Ireland is like looking for needles in haystacks. London was one of the largest cities in the world and there were a gazillion ĎMarysí, ĎWilliamsí and ĎJohnsí. Ireland has a different problem because the records become patchy towards the beginning of the 19th century.

So I canít really pin down all my ancestors, but short of shelling out thousands for a professional genealogist, I can say that my ancestry is all British and Irish over the last 150 years. Iím probably not 11% Greek, 23.3% Scandinavian or 7% Slavic. Even 5% Greek would be unlikely, since I have no matches from Greece!

This means that MyHeritage and FTDNA must be at least somewhat inaccurate with the biggest WTF going to MyHeritage.

G25 and Eurogenes seem to similarly place me up in the North West European cluster, but itís difficult to pinpoint minor things with them. Iím not 8.8% Basque and I donít have a Cossack great great grandfather (as far as I know).

Which leaves AncestryDNA and 23andme, which I think are at least approaching accurate. So I think those commercial tests were most accurate. They could be partially wrong, but at least they are correct over 150 years or so.
    Last edited by lana6765; 04-01-2021 at 11:03 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    Searching for long lost ancestors in London and Ireland is like looking for needles in haystacks. London was one of the largest cities in the world and there were a gazillion ‘Marys’, ‘Williams’ and ‘Johns’. Ireland has a different problem because the records become patchy towards the beginning of the 19th century.

So I can’t really pin down all my ancestors, but short of shelling out thousands for a professional genealogist, I can say that my ancestry is all British and Irish over the last 150 years. I’m probably not 11% Greek, 23.3% Scandinavian or 7% Slavic. Even 5% Greek would be unlikely, since I have no matches from Greece!

This means that MyHeritage and FTDNA must be at least somewhat inaccurate with the biggest WTF going to MyHeritage.

G25 and Eurogenes seem to similarly place me up in the North West European cluster, but it’s difficult to pinpoint minor things with them. I’m not 8.8% Basque and I don’t have a Cossack great great grandfather (as far as I know).

Which leaves AncestryDNA and 23andme, which I think are at least approaching accurate. So I think those commercial tests were most accurate. They could be partially wrong, but at least they are correct over 150 years or so.
    You get Greek with MyHeritage?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England Devon Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    You get Greek with MyHeritage?
    11% Greek and South Italian with MyHeritage and 5% Greece and Balkans with FTDNA.

But I don’t think either is right. I have some super distant matches in Italy, France and Spain and a couple in Eastern Europe, but none from Greece or the Balkans. I’m unsure if the matches are by chance.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    11% Greek and South Italian with MyHeritage and 5% Greece and Balkans with FTDNA.

But I don’t think either is right. I have some super distant matches in Italy, France and Spain and a couple in Eastern Europe, but none from Greece or the Balkans. I’m unsure if the matches are by chance.
    That’s insane. I have Balkan ancestry yet I get no Balkan with MyHeritage and I have well over 300 Balkan matches.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HBA39 For This Useful Post:

lana6765 (04-01-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast