Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could my great grandfather have been Ashkenazi?

Registered Users
    Sex

Could my great grandfather have been Ashkenazi?

My granddad doesn’t know anything about his fathers family, we were told he was Polish but recently I found a photo of my great granddad and the picture was taken in Lithuania. He had a Polish passport though when he was serving in the war. We also found someone who is Polish and shares the same surname as us which is also Polish and extremely rare, he said that if we are related then we have family in Germany. When I took a 23andme test a few years back I was given a small % of Ashkenazi. I no longer have the account so I can’t go back and look at those results. And whilst I know the majority of people hate DNA.Land I also got given Ashkenazi on there, 8% I believe. It has appeared in some of my Gedmatch calculators such as MDLP (I don’t have my Gedmatch account anymore either I don’t trust their privacy anymore).

Here is a screenshot of my DNA. land map for reference https://ibb.co/2KkjkCC

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    My granddad doesn’t know anything about his fathers family, we were told he was Polish but recently I found a photo of my great granddad and the picture was taken in Lithuania. He had a Polish passport though when he was serving in the war. We also found someone who is Polish and shares the same surname as us which is also Polish and extremely rare, he said that if we are related then we have family in Germany. When I took a 23andme test a few years back I was given a small % of Ashkenazi. I no longer have the account so I can’t go back and look at those results. And whilst I know the majority of people hate DNA.Land I also got given Ashkenazi on there, 8% I believe. It has appeared in some of my Gedmatch calculators such as MDLP (I don’t have my Gedmatch account anymore either I don’t trust their privacy anymore).

Here is a screenshot of my DNA. land map for reference https://ibb.co/2KkjkCC
    Do you have any kind of account on a commercial testing site? If so, then follow the matches. If your great-grandfather was Ashkenazi, you should have a significant number of Ashkenazi matches. Without more information, though, it's impossible to say.

I haven't used DNA.Land for a couple years. When I still had an account there they had a very small client base and the matches weren't very helpful, but maybe you can search through matches there too.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (04-05-2021),  JMcB (04-04-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    Do you have any kind of account on a commercial testing site? If so, then follow the matches. If your great-grandfather was Ashkenazi, you should have a significant number of Ashkenazi matches. Without more information, though, it's impossible to say.

I haven't used DNA.Land for a couple years. When I still had an account there they had a very small client base and the matches weren't very helpful, but maybe you can search through matches there too.

I didn’t realise DNA Land had matches. I’ll check it out. I don’t have any commercial accounts currently but I’m saving to retake 23andme since it was a while before the update.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post

I have 50 matches with DNA.Land, they’re a mix of Slavic and British but there is only one who is Ashkenazi.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Bulgaria Byzantine Empire Russian Federation Israel Russia Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    I have 50 matches with DNA.Land, they’re a mix of Slavic and British but there is only one who is Ashkenazi.
    With 23andme it is much easier, they can assign you segment or several segments as Ashkenazi, then find Jewish cousins to this chromosomal place on Gedmatch by Segment Search and Triangulation tools and it will be confirmed. Other tests do not have chromosome paintings and aren't as good with distant ancestry as 23andme. DNA.Land, MyHeritage very often gives Ashkenazic % to people of completely different ethnicities who have nothing common with them

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by CyrylBojarski View Post
    With 23andme it is much easier, they can assign you segment or several segments as Ashkenazi, then find Jewish cousins to this chromosomal place on Gedmatch by Segment Search and Triangulation tools and it will be confirmed. Other tests do not have chromosome paintings and aren't as good with distant ancestry as 23andme. DNA.Land, MyHeritage very often gives Ashkenazic % to people of completely different ethnicities who have nothing common with them

When I first took 23andme they assigned me 2% Ashkenazi. But I am saving to do the test again so hopefully I’ll get a better insight now that it has been updated since I first took it.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Old Ashkenazi at 23 and me was not as reliable as the current assignments. I'm not sure if they suffered from the typical Eastern Med continuum where many things looked the same ( I also received 1-2% Ashk. when I first did 23 and Me but it has since disappeared) to them or not but now I believe the recall on Ashkenazi at 23 and me is one of the most accurate
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

9. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

Nino90 (04-05-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    Old Ashkenazi at 23 and me was not as reliable as the current assignments. I'm not sure if they suffered from the typical Eastern Med continuum where many things looked the same ( I also received 1-2% Ashk. when I first did 23 and Me but it has since disappeared) to them or not but now I believe the recall on Ashkenazi at 23 and me is one of the most accurate
    That’s fair. It doesn’t show up on any other tests except for the sequencing.com report.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a

Great Seljuk Empire
    I also have a question about this topic.

The J-Test gave me 8.57% Ashkenazi, which i think is definitely strange for a non Jewish person. It decreased m East Med percentage at almost 9%. Are there other East Med people who did this test and also got higher results than expected?

By the way, did you use the GedMatch J-Test?

Sorry, I didn‘t want to open a new thread for a short single question.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y33
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-Y6938

Russian Federation Russia Tatarstan Arms Russia Mordovia Timurid
    I have an Ashkenazi grandparent and these are my results on 23andMe

A lot of the other ancestry components are pretty underwhelming IMHO but the Ashkenazi part is accurate almost to the whole 25%

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to altvred For This Useful Post:

Northern Adriatic (04-05-2021),  pmokeefe (04-05-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast