Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: How can I find out if I have legitimate African ancestry?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    325
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Ethnicity
    Parsi
    Nationality
    Pakistani

    Iran Sassanid Empire Greater Khorasan Pakistan India Iran Canada

    How can I find out if I have legitimate African ancestry?

    So, 23andme shows me that I have 0.3 percent East African which stays at 90 percent confidence.

    My GEDmatch results from Harrapa world are:
    1 Caucasian 33.34
    2 Baloch 26.27
    3 S-Indian 14.65
    4 SW-Asian 12.77
    5 Mediterranean 5.80
    6 NE-Euro 5.45



    From my GEDmatch, is their any indication that I may have African ancestry?

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Azbuzz For This Useful Post:

     discreetmaverick (04-06-2021)

  3. #2
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,621
    Sex
    Omitted
    Location
    Arabsiyo,Somaliland
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

    Somaliland Adal Sultanate Yemen African Union Canada
    It's probably just noise
    Target: Drobbah_scaled
    Distance: 2.8833% / 0.02883253
    93.8 Somali
    6.2 Yemenite_Dhamar

    Target: Mother_scaled
    Distance: 2.7252% / 0.02725184
    91.8 Somali
    8.2 Yemenite_Dhamar

    FTDNA myorigins 3.0:
    Eritrea, Northern Ethiopia & Somalia
    94%
    Yemenite Jewish
    6%

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    340
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

    Brazil Azores Italy Ladinia
    Quote Originally Posted by drobbah View Post
    It's probably just noise
    I would say so if it was GEDmatch. But if 23andme detected a very minor admixture it is likely to be there.I know a case of a guy with 0% SSA in all calcs but got assigned trace SSA on 23andme, he tested an older relative and this one scored more substantial SSA to a point that being noise is basically impossible. 23andme rarely gives noise or random results in terms of intercontinental ancestry.

    I have 1.86% East Asian on Eurogenes K13 and around 1% on some other GEDmatch calcs with MyHeritage raw data, I thought it could be misread Amerindian or real ancestry and then it turned out to be just bullshit, since with other raw datas I have basically 0% or less than 1%; and 23andme gave me even less Amerindian than GEDmatch calcs ( 1.7% on 23andme vs 2-3% GEDmatch). GEDmatch is very limited IMO.
    Last edited by Caius Agrippa; 04-05-2021 at 11:26 PM.

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caius Agrippa For This Useful Post:

     Amber29 (04-06-2021),  Azbuzz (04-06-2021),  Deftextra (04-06-2021),  discreetmaverick (04-06-2021),  ThaYamamoto (04-05-2021)

  6. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    431
    Sex
    Location
    Elegant Decay
    Ethnicity
    Brahmin Mixed S India
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b2a1a (Y7+)
    mtDNA (M)
    M5a2a

    United States of America India Myanmar
    You might get some clarification by comparing the chromosomal location of the E African segment on 23andMe to the admixture of the corresponding location on a map of admixture by chromosome from gedmatch. If there is concordance between the two, then the likelihood of the segment being correctly identified by 23andMe increases.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Varun R For This Useful Post:

     subzero85 (04-06-2021),  ThaYamamoto (04-05-2021)

  8. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    325
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Ethnicity
    Parsi
    Nationality
    Pakistani

    Iran Sassanid Empire Greater Khorasan Pakistan India Iran Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun R View Post
    You might get some clarification by comparing the chromosomal location of the E African segment on 23andMe to the admixture of the corresponding location on a map of admixture by chromosome from gedmatch. If there is concordance between the two, then the likelihood of the segment being correctly identified by 23andMe increases.
    Del...
    Last edited by Azbuzz; 04-05-2021 at 11:57 PM.

  9. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    325
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Ethnicity
    Parsi
    Nationality
    Pakistani

    Iran Sassanid Empire Greater Khorasan Pakistan India Iran Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun R View Post
    You might get some clarification by comparing the chromosomal location of the E African segment on 23andMe to the admixture of the corresponding location on a map of admixture by chromosome from gedmatch. If there is concordance between the two, then the likelihood of the segment being correctly identified by 23andMe increases.
    http://imgur.com/a/jo0bMlN

    Look at segment 6. All 3 (Harrapa, Eurogenes and 23andme)show African but 23andme shows East African whilst the others show central and West African.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azbuzz For This Useful Post:

     ThaYamamoto (04-06-2021),  Varun R (04-06-2021)

  11. #7
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,621
    Sex
    Omitted
    Location
    Arabsiyo,Somaliland
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

    Somaliland Adal Sultanate Yemen African Union Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Caius Agrippa View Post
    I would say so if it was GEDmatch. But if 23andme detected a very minor admixture it is likely to be there.I know a case of a guy with 0% SSA in all calcs but got assigned trace SSA on 23andme, he tested an older relative and this one scored more substantial SSA to a point that being noise is basically impossible. 23andme rarely gives noise or random results in terms of intercontinental ancestry.

    I have 1.86% East Asian on Eurogenes K13 and around 1% on some other GEDmatch calcs with MyHeritage raw data, I thought it could be misread Amerindian or real ancestry and then it turned out to be just bullshit, since with other raw datas I have basically 0% or less than 1%; and 23andme gave me even less Amerindian than GEDmatch calcs ( 1.7% on 23andme vs 2-3% GEDmatch). GEDmatch is very limited IMO.
    I've seen some weird noise on 23&me like a Northern Somali from the Hawd with noise level Italian or others with noise level British which is impossible since the North at the time besides the coast was completely pastoral and obviously were fierce muslims.23&me isn't 100% accurate and can make mistakes.I highly doubt a Zorostrian has African ancestry but I could be wrong as I am not as knowledgeable in South Asian history.He should get his G25 coordinates and see for himself but I'm betting it's just noise.

  12. #8
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,621
    Sex
    Omitted
    Location
    Arabsiyo,Somaliland
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

    Somaliland Adal Sultanate Yemen African Union Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Azbuzz View Post
    So, 23andme shows me that I have 0.3 percent East African which stays at 90 percent confidence.

    My GEDmatch results from Harrapa world are:
    1 Caucasian 33.34
    2 Baloch 26.27
    3 S-Indian 14.65
    4 SW-Asian 12.77
    5 Mediterranean 5.80
    6 NE-Euro 5.45



    From my GEDmatch, is their any indication that I may have African ancestry?
    Which specific component do you get? SE African or Northern East African?
    Target: Drobbah_scaled
    Distance: 2.8833% / 0.02883253
    93.8 Somali
    6.2 Yemenite_Dhamar

    Target: Mother_scaled
    Distance: 2.7252% / 0.02725184
    91.8 Somali
    8.2 Yemenite_Dhamar

    FTDNA myorigins 3.0:
    Eritrea, Northern Ethiopia & Somalia
    94%
    Yemenite Jewish
    6%

  13. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    431
    Sex
    Location
    Elegant Decay
    Ethnicity
    Brahmin Mixed S India
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b2a1a (Y7+)
    mtDNA (M)
    M5a2a

    United States of America India Myanmar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azbuzz View Post
    http://imgur.com/a/jo0bMlN

    Look at segment 6. All 3 (Harrapa, Eurogenes and 23andme)show African but 23andme shows East African whilst the others show central and West African.
    That's interesting. So the result might have some validity, but I would confirm with someone like Drobbah, Yamamoto, or others who are more knowledgeable on the particulars of African ancestral components. The spot is at a centromere, and centromeres have lower recombination rates. So could also be a real result but from an old, preserved segment that is not genealogically relevant.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Varun R For This Useful Post:

     drobbah (04-06-2021),  ThaYamamoto (04-06-2021)

  15. #10
    Banned
    Posts
    955
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Zanzibar
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1307
    mtDNA (M)
    L3b1a

    ZanzibarSultanate United Kingdom Uganda
    Looks real to me. Parsis have a strong connection with Gujarat right? And Siddis do too...so seems very plausible and not unrealistic.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThaYamamoto For This Useful Post:

     Azbuzz (04-06-2021),  drobbah (04-06-2021)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. West African Y-DNA, North African Ancestry
    By Smaa in forum Northern
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-05-2020, 01:52 AM
  2. Is this just discovered Megalithic Complex in the Philippines a legitimate dsicovery?
    By Rene Bascos Sarabia Jr. in forum Archaeology (Prehistory)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2019, 12:23 PM
  3. 23andMe, Legitimate tests?
    By rettalee55 in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2017, 09:56 AM
  4. Harder to find where find ancestry than I thought.
    By backdrop12 in forum Genealogy
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-03-2017, 01:36 PM
  5. Anyway to find a haplogroup with a Ancestry DNA kit?
    By procoptodon in forum Inquiries Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2016, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •