Poll: What part of Historic Punjab your great grand parents belonged to?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Tracing your ancestry to the pre-partition Punjab.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi (Jatt)
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2b (R-Y136220)
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a1

Quote Originally Posted by discreetmaverick View Post
    I don't know about farmer, however, regarding caste and religion, I think one needs to fill that up in birth certificate.

This is from last year.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le31456656.ece

So, mentioning religion is a must.
    What if someone changes their religion? Do they have to record it somewhere?
    btw, your link I think does not say caste has to be recorded on the birth certificate, only religion.
    Many people in India do not have birth certificates in previous times. Is it common practice now to get birth certificates?

Not to mention fake certificates and documents can be obtained in India. It is said Modi has obtained fake degree certificates.
    Last edited by laltota; 05-19-2021 at 04:45 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laltota For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (05-19-2021),  Rahuls77 (05-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-M241
    mtDNA (P)
    M5a2a

Quote Originally Posted by laltota View Post
    What if someone changes their religion? Do they have to record it somewhere?
    When an individual decides to change their religion in India, the process has to be done legally so that the new religion gets reflected in all the accepted government IDs across the country. In order to have that, a Religion Change affidavit has to be prepared mandatorily.
    https://legalraj.com/articles-detail...icate-in-india

yes, I was not sure of caste, so, I only mentioned religion was mandatory.

yes, I think so, as a birth certificate is mandatory for school admissions in Karnataka at least in private schools, It seems even in Punjab/Haryana and Chandigarh. probably across India.

'No school admission without proper birth certificate' in Punjab/Haryana and Chandigarh

https://www.hindustantimes.com/chand...lPEPIdUSP.html

However, under RTE is not required, However, it is from 2013 don't know if there are any changes since then.

Birth certificate is no more mandatory for children to get admission to schools under Right To Education (RTE), according to a circular issued by the state department of public instruction.
    https://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/r...cation-1808803

Yes, agree people can get fake certificates, and during the time when Amit shah was born, it would not be as popular or important as it is, now.

Shah is an Indian surname in Gujarati language and Kutchi language that is used by Hindu, Jain and Muslim communities.
    Shah Matrimonial - Shah Marriage - Jeevansathi.com

Why would he claim he is Hindu if he was Jain, would that not be a fatal political mistake? isn't?
    Last edited by discreetmaverick; 05-19-2021 at 06:52 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to discreetmaverick For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (05-19-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi (Jatt)
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2b (R-Y136220)
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a1

Quote Originally Posted by discreetmaverick View Post
    https://legalraj.com/articles-detail...icate-in-india

yes, I was not sure of caste, so, I only mentioned religion was mandatory.

yes, I think so, as a birth certificate is mandatory for school admissions in Karnataka at least in private schools, It seems even in Punjab/Haryana and Chandigarh. probably across India.

'No school admission without proper birth certificate' in Punjab/Haryana and Chandigarh

https://www.hindustantimes.com/chand...lPEPIdUSP.html

However, under RTE is not required, However, it is from 2013 don't know if there are any changes since then.

https://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/r...cation-1808803

Yes, agree people can get fake certificates, and during the time when Amit shah was born, it would not be as popular or important as it is, now.

Shah Matrimonial - Shah Marriage - Jeevansathi.com

Why would he claim he is Hindu if he was Jain, it would be a fatal political mistake? isn't?
    No it is better for him (Amit Shah) to say that (if he is lying).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to laltota For This Useful Post:

Rahuls77 (05-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z1828
    Y-DNA (M)
    U4b1a1

Late to this thread, but all my grandparents were from western Punjab/KPK. My Dada, Dadi, and Nana came from landowning and farming families in pinds near Lyallpur (Faisalabad), Jhelum, and Lahore respectively. My Nani’s side were shop keepers in Peshawar. I’ve always had a burning desire to visit our ancestral homelands, definitely will visit one day.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Auro For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (07-31-2021),  desi (07-31-2021),  deuterium_1 (07-31-2021),  Kapisa (07-31-2021),  laltota (07-31-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-31-2021),  parasar (07-31-2021),  Rahuls77 (07-31-2021),  Sapporo (07-31-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z1828
    Y-DNA (M)
    U4b1a1

Delete

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z1828
    Y-DNA (M)
    U4b1a1

Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    Thanks for sharing. From some of the videos of Hindus and Sikhs I have seen who had to migrate from Lhnda and Central Punjab, during Partition, they learned Urdu and at times Farsi as part of their curriculum if going to Public School. Khalsa school curriculum probably was different. Not sure how it went in the Millitary, but one lady from Gujhar Khan said they had a choice to learn either Hindi, Punjabi or Urdu as a language. I will ask my uncles who lived during that time.
    Can confirm, my Dada said he could only read and write Urdu and some Gurmukhi when they moved to Amritsar. Learned Hindi and more Gurmukhi later in his 20s

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Auro For This Useful Post:

Kapisa (07-31-2021),  laltota (07-31-2021),  Rahuls77 (08-08-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

India
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    I know at least three Gujratis with the last name Shah and all of them are Jains, the remainder, I know nothing of their faith, but they all tend to lean towards the Hindutva ideology.
    Late to the dialogue here, but most Shah families are indeed Jain Baniyas while also following most Hindu practices. Saying that "they all" lean towards Hindutva ideology would be a sweeping statement though. Growing up among a lot of Shahs I can say that they definitely are a religious bunch, but that doesn't make them Hindutva supporters.
    Last edited by Kirtan24; 07-31-2021 at 05:36 PM.
    The world is like the impression left by the telling of a story...

Yoga-Vāsiṣṭha, 2.3.11

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

laltota (07-31-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirtan24 View Post
    Late to the dialogue here, but most Shah families are indeed Jain Baniyas while also following most Hindu practices. Saying that "they all" lean towards Hindutva ideology would be a sweeping statement though. Growing up among a lot of Shahs I can say that they definitely are a religious bunch, but that doesn't make them Hindutva supporters.
    Fair enough, however, I was speaking from my personal experience.
    Last edited by Rahuls77; 07-31-2021 at 06:21 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

laltota (07-31-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by Auro View Post
    Late to this thread, but all my grandparents were from western Punjab/KPK. My Dada, Dadi, and Nana came from landowning and farming families in pinds near Lyallpur (Faisalabad), Jhelum, and Lahore respectively. My Nani’s side were shop keepers in Peshawar. I’ve always had a burning desire to visit our ancestral homelands, definitely will visit one day.
    If you do not carry an Indian passport, it's going to be all the more simple and easy for you.

A grand experience is what the author here describes.
    My Journey Home: The Black Peacock Beckons me Home

The Medium link has several pieces by him, on his travels across Pakistan, wherever his family's legacy exists.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

Auro (07-31-2021),  karnalIroh (07-31-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z1828
    Y-DNA (M)
    U4b1a1

Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    If you do not carry an Indian passport, it's going to be all the more simple and easy for you.

A grand experience is what the author here describes.
    My Journey Home: The Black Peacock Beckons me Home

The Medium link has several pieces by him, on his travels across Pakistan, wherever his family's legacy exists.
    Yep I’m an American citizen so obtaining a visa should be simple. My dada (Indian passport) had applied for a tourist visa for Pakistan when he was alive but got denied. Thanks for the link, I love reading these things.

Here’s a BBC documentary on partition, has stories of Bengalis too - https://youtu.be/-RQePrEnWSQ

If you have ancestral ties to Eastern Punjab there’s a guy on YouTube named “Panesar vlogs”, maybe you can find a video from your pind.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Auro For This Useful Post:

Rahuls77 (07-31-2021)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast