Poll: What part of Historic Punjab your great grand parents belonged to?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Tracing your ancestry to the pre-partition Punjab.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by Auro View Post
    Yep I’m an American citizen so obtaining a visa should be simple. My dada (Indian passport) had applied for a tourist visa for Pakistan when he was alive but got denied. Thanks for the link, I love reading these things.

Here’s a BBC documentary on partition, has stories of Bengalis too - https://youtu.be/-RQePrEnWSQ

If you have ancestral ties to Eastern Punjab there’s a guy on YouTube named “Panesar vlogs”, maybe you can find a video from your pind.
    Actually, I have been to Pakistan and I carry an Indian passport. I grew up hearing of the pre-partition days from my Late Grandmother, from my childhood, and looking at the Atlas, she could tell us of all the places around Rawalpindi, to its South, it's North, it's East, and it's West. I treasured everything written by the 'refugees' and kept a copy of the 1997 Outlook Magazine, which dealt with the memories of individuals' experiences during the partition. I could relate to many of them. and then there were two documentaries from that period, aired on the BBC, and after the nuclear tests in 1998, by India and Pakistan. The generation of 1947, which carried the experience of loss, would view the partition quite differently from our generation, especially the current one, which has pretty much no sense of roots in that part of the world, however deep they run. And to be honest, nobody can feel it the way the elders would. But... in my case, during my Christmas morning flight to Islamabad, from Karachi, I was possessed by some ghost, got too emotional, had never felt that way before, ever. My roots are in Rawalpindi, mostly in Kahuta and the Gujar Khan area. I had a fleeting visit of my Late Grandmother's 'Graan' and the place where my own father grew up, where his Grandfather had his medical practice, in the town of Mandra. I was hosted for a week by two friends, whom I had come in contact with on social media. I did not for a moment feel if I was in an alien or an enemy country. On the whole, I found it very easy to connect to Pakistanis I met there.

No doubt, there have been events, major ones at that, which have influenced the course of our subcontinent's history, as one can gather from this Interview, but a lot of those traces aren't dead for good, and I guess people to people contacts, realising our shared heritage, can help recover and realise some of that.

Last edited by Rahuls77; 07-31-2021 at 07:58 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (08-01-2021),  AlluGobi (07-31-2021),  Auro (08-01-2021),  Kapisa (08-01-2021),  karnalIroh (07-31-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (08-01-2021),  Raza94 (07-31-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z1828
    Y-DNA (M)
    U4b1a1

Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    Actually, I have been to Pakistan and I carry an Indian passport. I grew up hearing of the pre-partition days from my Late Grandmother, from my childhood, and looking at the Atlas, she could tell us of all the places around Rawalpindi, to its South, it's North, it's East, and it's West. I treasured everything written by the 'refugees' and kept a copy of the 1997 Outlook Magazine, which dealt with the memories of individuals' experiences during the partition. I could relate to many of them. and then there were two documentaries from that period, aired on the BBC, and after the nuclear tests in 1998, by India and Pakistan. The generation of 1947, which carried the experience of loss, would view the partition quite differently from our generation, especially the current one, which has pretty much no sense of roots in that part of the world, however deep they run. And to be honest, nobody can feel it the way the elders would. But... in my case, during my Christmas morning flight to Islamabad, from Karachi, I was possessed by some ghost, got too emotional, had never felt that way before, ever. My roots are in Rawalpindi, mostly in Kahuta and the Gujar Khan area. I had a fleeting visit of my Late Grandmother's 'Graan' and the place where my own father grew up, where his Grandfather had his medical practice, in the town of Mandra. I was hosted for a week by two friends, whom I had come in contact with on social media. I did not for a moment feel if I was in an alien or an enemy country. On the whole, I found it very easy to connect to Pakistanis I met there.

No doubt, there have been events, major ones at that, which have influenced the course of our subcontinent's history, as one can gather from this Interview, but a lot of those traces aren't dead for good, and I guess people to people contacts, realising our shared heritage, can help recover and realise some of that.

Sounds like you had a great experience, really glad you got to visit.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Auro For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (08-01-2021),  Path2light21 (08-09-2021),  Rahuls77 (08-01-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z1828
    Y-DNA (M)
    U4b1a1

Late to this thread, but all my grandparents were from western Punjab/KPK. My Dada, Dadi, and Nana came from landowning and farming families in pinds near Lyallpur (Faisalabad), Jhelum, and Lahore respectively. My Nani’s side were shop keepers in Peshawar. I’ve always had a burning desire to visit our ancestral homelands, definitely will visit one day.
    Thought I’d update this, just spoke to my paternal grandmother (Dadi) and it turns out she’s not from the Jhelum district. I always thought Jhelum because I knew her pind was “Nurpur”, and when you put “Nurpur, Punjab, Pakistan” in google maps it’s in the Jhelum district. Turns out her pind was actually Noorpur Noon, which is near Sargodha and the Jhelum river. She even remembers the road they lived near - Guru Nanak Road. Found the pind on google maps but not the road, guessing the name has changed

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Auro For This Useful Post:

MonkeyDLuffy (08-23-2021),  parasar (08-23-2021),  Rahuls77 (08-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Pakistan
    Thought I’d update this, just spoke to my paternal grandmother (Dadi) and it turns out she’s not from the Jhelum district. I always thought Jhelum because I knew her pind was “Nurpur”, and when you put “Nurpur, Punjab, Pakistan” in google maps it’s in the Jhelum district. Turns out her pind was actually Noorpur Noon, which is near Sargodha and the Jhelum river. She even remembers the road they lived near - Guru Nanak Road. Found the pind on google maps but not the road, guessing the name has changed
    Yup there are a few Noorpurs in that region, one in Potohar, one in Thal desert and as you pointed out one in Sargodha. Sargodha was created out of what was formerly Shahpur district. Noon Family is well known in the region and that's where the name comes from.
    This whole area (Shahpur/Jhang) before the British arrival were part of Sial country while Tiwanas controlled regions to the west (Sindh Sagar doab). Not sure what their relation was with the Sikh empire.
    Interestingly one of Sial individuals matching my mom had a typical Khatri genetic profile.
    Outside of Lyallpur, the main dialect of the region is also Shahpuri which is spoken between Sargodha and Mianwali. While Faisalabadis mainly speak in Majhi dialect because of canal colony history.
    Last edited by Kapisa; 08-23-2021 at 06:03 AM.

distance: 2.13
    sample: Kapisa (Kapisa)
    CG IVCp • IRN Shahr I Sokhta BA2 I8728: 42.5
    Dzharkutan1 BA • Average: 37.5
    Srubnaya Alakul MLBA • Average: 17
    Chokhopani 2700BP • Average: 3

sample: Kapisa:Kapisa-Dad
    distance: 2.0944
    Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2 • I8728: 41.5
    Bustan_BA • Average: 37
    Srubnaya_Alakul_MLBA • Average: 19
    Chokhopani_2700BP • Average: 2.5

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

Auro (08-23-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (08-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    Yup there are a few Noorpurs in that region, one in Potohar, one in Thal desert and as you pointed out one in Sargodha. Sargodha was created out of what was formerly Shahpur district. Noon Family is well known in the region and that's where the name comes from.
    This whole area (Shahpur/Jhang) before the British arrival were part of Sial country while Tiwanas controlled regions to the west (Sindh Sagar doab). Not sure what their relation was with the Sikh empire.
    Interestingly one of Sial individuals matching my mom had a typical Khatri genetic profile.
    Outside of Lyallpur, the main dialect of the region is also Shahpuri which is spoken between Sargodha and Mianwali. While Faisalabadis mainly speak in Majhi dialect because of canal colony history.
    Sial is used by Punjabi Sikh Khatris and some Punjabi Sikh Jatts. So no surprise you have sial match with Khatri profile.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

Auro (08-23-2021)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567