Poll: What part of Historic Punjab your great grand parents belonged to?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tracing your ancestry to the pre-partition Punjab.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    (Jammu) Dogra
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a (R-M124)
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a1a1

Canada Jammu and Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    Zyada loki jere es pasay ashi te Punjab che vassay ohna ni boli ch Punjabi na assar zyada hona. Mari family ch vi boun eh Babaji jaye lok ne, jere hunn Punjabi bolne. Main vi jad Pothwari che gallan karna, maare sang mi aakhne maara accent Eastern Punjab aala ya.

The girl in this video speaks Poonchi, with some Dogri influence.
    Wow we almost never get to hear Poonchi. Even Poonchi Sikhs speak standard Punjabi...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bored For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (04-23-2021),  Rahuls77 (04-23-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    Thanks for sharing. From some of the videos of Hindus and Sikhs I have seen who had to migrate from Lhnda and Central Punjab, during Partition, they learned Urdu and at times Farsi as part of their curriculum if going to Public School. Khalsa school curriculum probably was different. Not sure how it went in the Millitary, but one lady from Gujhar Khan said they had a choice to learn either Hindi, Punjabi or Urdu as a language. I will ask my uncles who lived during that time.
    Both my Grandmothers spoke Pothwari, and knew both, the script of urdu and the Gurmukhi script. They never bothered to learn any of the Hindustani languages. And when they were compelled to speak in Hindustani, an occasional sentence, it would come across as quite funny, and they wouldn't care any less. Hindustani was always the 'okhi' zabaan. My paternal Grandmother would write in the script used for Hindi, and it would appear like sticks put together to make a letter, was very easy to forge, lol!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (04-23-2021),  Kapisa (04-23-2021),  Mando1 (04-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Jatt
    Y-DNA (P)
    J...?

Canada Sikh Empire
    Both my Grandmothers spoke Pothwari, and knew both, the script of urdu and the Gurmukhi script. They never bothered to learn any of the Hindustani languages. And when they were compelled to speak in Hindustani, an occasional sentence, it would come across as quite funny, and they wouldn't care any less. Hindustani was always the 'okhi' zabaan. My paternal Grandmother would write in the script used for Hindi, and it would appear like sticks put together to make a letter, was very easy to forge, lol!
    I remember being surprised that my maternal grandfather (nanaji) could read and write in the Farsi/Urdu script. He would have gone to the local village school in the Hoshiarpur area in the 1920's. Meanwhile, maternal grandmother and both my paternal grandparents were pretty much illiterate and my grandmothers were self-taught Gurmukhi. Paternal grandfather remained stubborn and never officially learned to read or write.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mando1 For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (04-23-2021),  Rahuls77 (04-23-2021),  Sapporo (04-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bihari, UPite and Bengali
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a1c-JST002611
    mtDNA (M)
    M6a1a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a1a-Z93, R-M560

India Pakistan United Kingdom
    Which script is used for Pothwari?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Quote Originally Posted by deuterium_1 View Post
    Which script is used for Pothwari?
    The same which is used for urdu, I guess.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (04-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pothwari/Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b

United States of America Pakistan
    The same which is used for urdu, I guess.
    There is a need for more historic work on this but Amandeep Singh of Sikh Heritage did find Gurumukhi being used on dedication slabs of a Temple in Attock by Hindus of Peshawar. It could mean Gurumukhi was the script being used by both Hindu and Sikh communities of the area. Whether Gumumukhi was used to write in Pothwari or other Lahnda Punjabi varieties need to investigated.
    https://youtu.be/m2O1XmCTTaM
    Target: Kapisa_scaled
    Distance: 1.7453% / 0.01745296
    44.4 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2_I8728
    35.0 UZB_Bustan_BA
    18.0 KAZ_Ak_Moustafa_MLBA1
    2.6 MNG_East_N

Mitochondrial Haplogroup: R30b found in Shahr-I-Sokhta_BA1 subclades found in Swat IA:Leobanr, Katelai & Barikot Historic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

Rahuls77 (04-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

There is a need for more historic work on this but Amandeep Singh of Sikh Heritage did find Gurumukhi being used on dedication slabs of a Temple in Attock by Hindus of Peshawar. It could mean Gurumukhi was the script being used by both Hindu and Sikh communities of the area. Whether Gumumukhi was used to write in Pothwari or other Lahnda Punjabi varieties need to investigated.
    Landa was used by Hindus in Multan and Peshawar by Khatri traders till independence. I'm part of Punjabi heritage group on Facebook where these documents and writings written in Landa are shared. Usually was used for record keeping. Gurmukhi became more widespread because it is the perfect script to write NW languages, hence replaced Landa eventually for day to day use, except in some cases where Landa was still used for record keeping.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (04-23-2021),  Kapisa (04-23-2021),  Rahuls77 (04-23-2021),  Sapporo (04-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pothwari/Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b

United States of America Pakistan
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    Landa was used by Hindus in Multan and Peshawar by Khatri traders till independence. I'm part of Punjabi heritage group on Facebook where these documents and writings written in Landa are shared. Usually was used for record keeping. Gurmukhi became more widespread because it is the perfect script to write NW languages, hence replaced Landa eventually for day to day use, except in some cases where Landa was still used for record keeping.
    Thanks for that input. Can you share any of the documents/ writings in Landa or Gurumukhi from that era.
    Last edited by Kapisa; 04-23-2021 at 05:10 PM.
    Target: Kapisa_scaled
    Distance: 1.7453% / 0.01745296
    44.4 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2_I8728
    35.0 UZB_Bustan_BA
    18.0 KAZ_Ak_Moustafa_MLBA1
    2.6 MNG_East_N

Mitochondrial Haplogroup: R30b found in Shahr-I-Sokhta_BA1 subclades found in Swat IA:Leobanr, Katelai & Barikot Historic.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Not just in Attock but in Pindi's Bagh Sardaran, whatever little is readable from the frescoes in the Raghunath Temple, was written in Gurmukhi. The pictures are from The Quest Continues, his second volume. I have both of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rahuls77; 04-23-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    I have known about that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast