Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: British And Irish Results

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

United States of America United States Gadsden England Ireland Scotland Wales

British And Irish Results

Hi all. My sister scored 96.2% British and Irish with just 1.7% French and German, .4% Scandinavian, .2% Finnish, and .6% Broad Northwest European. We have deep roots in the Appalachians, and we seem to have more Celtic forebears (Western English, Native Irish, Highland Scottish, Welsh) than many textbooks often suggest. Why do we score so high compared to most people who live in England, and I thank you in advance for any replies.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anglo-Celtic For This Useful Post:

bitterfruit609 (05-21-2021),  JMcB (04-16-2021),  MacEochaidh (04-18-2021),  Robert1 (04-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Is this v5.9?

Lots of British people score very high British and Irish with this version. I get 97.3% British and Irish. Iím from England!

I saw my results before the update and I had a lot more French and German. The new results are much more smoothed out, though they could well be over smoothed.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic (04-16-2021),  JMcB (04-16-2021),  Robert1 (04-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FT30249
    mtDNA (M)
    W6c1a

Byzantine Empire
    My wife is Irish (from county Cork) and English (from East Anglia) and this is what she scores:

Screenshot_2021-04-16 Ancestry Composition - 23andMe.png

She seems to have retained her French+German with the last update, maybe because she's from the Southeast.
    dosas: 56.25% Greek_Macedonia + 43.75% Greek_Trabzon @ 1.769
    wife: 50% English + 50% Irish @ 1.837
    kid1: 56.25% English + 43.75% Greek_Cappadocia @ 1.817
    kid2: 56.25% English_Cornwall + 43.75% Greek_Cappadocia @ 1.866

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dosas For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic (04-16-2021),  jadegreg (04-24-2021),  JMcB (04-16-2021),  Robert1 (04-18-2021),  Rufus191 (04-23-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by dosas View Post
    My wife is Irish (from county Cork) and English (from East Anglia) and this is what she scores:

She seems to have retained her French+German with the last update, maybe because she's from the Southeast.
    Interesting! My French and German got smoothed into British and Irish and Spanish and Portuguese.

The Spanish and Portuguese could be real as we had a rumour about that. But I cannot confirm if it’s a true reflection of my ancestry as I seem to have more matches in North East Europe and Scandinavia than Spain or Portugal. Oh well. I had a few but nothing convincing.

Edit: Also, I’m Irish + majority Essex, London etc.
    Last edited by lana6765; 04-16-2021 at 05:22 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic (04-16-2021),  dosas (04-16-2021),  JMcB (04-16-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

Techno gremlins logged me out of the forum.
    Last edited by Anglo-Celtic; 04-17-2021 at 12:39 AM. Reason: see message

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    Is this v5.9?

Lots of British people score very high British and Irish with this version. I get 97.3% British and Irish. I’m from England!

I saw my results before the update and I had a lot more French and German. The new results are much more smoothed out, though they could well be over smoothed.
    I just wondered because past comments, from English forum members, made it sound like this was anomalous. Still, the low continental scores are bizarre.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by dosas View Post

That just speaks to the fact that we have more "Celtic blood" than most people in this region. Perhaps certain marriage patterns contributed to this. I checked the paternal genetic lineage of some ancestors, and they were classified as Pretanic. My English forebears often came from the Cumbric region or the Southwest.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    I just wondered because past comments, from English forum members, made it sound like this was anomalous. Still, the low continental scores are bizarre.
    I think it’s mainly v5.9 which people tend to get lots, sometimes 100%, of one ethnicity.

The past comments could have been from previous updates.

As for myself, I’ve had lots of weird scores from other companies with highlights being up to 11% Greek and South Italian and 23.3% Scandinavian.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic (04-17-2021),  Robert1 (04-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    I think it’s mainly v5.9 which people tend to get lots, sometimes 100%, of one ethnicity.

The past comments could have been from previous updates.

As for myself, I’ve had lots of weird scores from other companies with highlights being up to 11% Greek and South Italian and 23.3% Scandinavian.
    I think that it's accurate, but I'm just curious. The continental input might come from known forebears' homelands. We can trace back to Finland and Sweden, and there is distant French and German, but they're *way* back in the past. Those ancestries were swamped by newcomers from areas that weren't as impacted by Germanic invaders. I think that this shows the variation of immigration and settling patterns within a given region. It's best to not make assumptions such as "you're Scots-Irish". Different families have different ancestries, and that holds true for families who inhabit the same area. For instance, none of my great-grandparents are purely Ulster Scottish, but the "common knowledge and conventional wisdom"about the region would almost make that a given.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1a1b1
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3

England Ireland Wales Scotland England North of England European Union
    I have 100% British & Irish on 23andMe whilst my brother gets 99.8% B&I and 0.2% Broadly European, I'm on the latest chip and I think my brother is on v4.

My English ancestry is mostly from the North West, East Anglia, Yorkshire, Hertfordshire and Gloucestershire. Most of my Irish ancestry is from the eastern part of the island whilst my Welsh is from the west coast of Wales.

On Ancestry, my DNA results are roughly 54% "English and continental" (England & NW Europe, Sweden) and 46% "Celtic" (Scotland, Ireland, Wales).

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stephen1986 For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic (04-18-2021),  catman44 (05-18-2021),  jadegreg (04-24-2021),  JMcB (04-23-2021),  Robert1 (04-18-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast