Thread: Which level of testing should I get for my Jewish uncle?

Registered Users
    Sex

Which level of testing should I get for my Jewish uncle?

My uncle finally agreed to a Y-Dna test, for the Jewish side of my family. I will probably wait for the FTDNA father's day sale, but what I am unsure of is whether to go for the 37 or 111 markers. I did my father's line at the y-37 level years ago and that got me matched down to people as specific as j-ph185 (which has been quite a confusing thing to research). My question is, what does the field of Jewish y Dna look like in terms of.. what will I actually need to get a clear picture?

What should I expect testing at each level? ( I wasn't sure whether to put this in the jewish or commercial testing sections)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-PF4074

United States of America
    If you are looking for Y-resolution do the Big-Y. Is this a paternal uncle?

I would also post in the Jewish section as well...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpydaddybear For This Useful Post:

hartaisarlag (04-21-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by harrimir View Post
    My uncle finally agreed to a Y-Dna test, for the Jewish side of my family. I will probably wait for the FTDNA father's day sale, but what I am unsure of is whether to go for the 37 or 111 markers. I did my father's line at the y-37 level years ago and that got me matched down to people as specific as j-ph185 (which has been quite a confusing thing to research). My question is, what does the field of Jewish y Dna look like in terms of.. what will I actually need to get a clear picture?

What should I expect testing at each level? ( I wasn't sure whether to put this in the jewish or commercial testing sections)
    You don't really know beforehand, because you don't know whether he belongs to a common or rare subclade. If he belongs to a common subclade and has many paternal relatives, it might be easy to match him without doing a BigY. On the other hand, if he belongs to a rare subclade and no closer paternal relatives tested so far, you will end up gaining little to nothing from the lower level tests, same if you want to be sure about his exact and terminal subclade, including private SNPs. Depends on what you actually want too.

Registered Users
    Sex

I should be clear: There is absolutely no chance of me able to afford a 700 dollar big Y test. Lol.

I'm looking more at the 37 vs 111. Although, if I get one and decide to upgrade to the other, is there a discount?

Registered Users
    Sex

I should be clear: There is absolutely no chance of me able to afford a 700 dollar big Y test. Lol.

I'm looking more at the 37 vs 111. Although, if I get one and decide to upgrade to the other, is there a discount?
    Compare:
    https://learn.familytreedna.com/general/price-chart/

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada

Maybe just compromise on Y-67.

edit: I see FTDNA does not offer Y-67 anymore as a single test.