Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland

Would a LivingDNA kit yield different results

My LivingDNA upload from AncestryDna is heavily Irish (85%). This seems exaggerated, based on what I know about my ancestry, and what I recorded on Ancestry itself.

My fathers results are only 37% Irish and show up many of the regions I would expect. If I add my fathers Ireland and NW Scotland result, that stat is close to the 48% Irish he records on Ancestry. It is not close to the 63% I have on ancestry, more 94%.

Given the low 37% Irish from my father, the 85% Irish statistic for myself seems wrong. I was thinking of buying a LivingDNA kit as it may show more accurate results for myself. Would this be a waste of money? Would it show the same sort of result?
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 04-19-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

This is my mumís results:

My dads:

If I add together and divide =
    Ireland = 90+ 37/2 = 63.5%, my ancestryDna is 63% Irish
    NI and SW Scotland = 5.4 + 36/2 = 20.7%
    Highlands = 12.4 + 2.4 /2 = 7.4%
    Cumbria = 3.9 + 1.2/2 = 2.55%
    Northumbria = 8 + 1/2 = 4.5%
    East Anglia = 2.4/2 = 1.2%

In reality:

So it appears that this might be accurate for my parents but not me. I wonder if the NI and SW Scotland is being misinterpreted as Irish?

Both my parents have Northumbria.
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 04-19-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North, West and East Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-CTS5966
    mtDNA (P)
    H2a3

United States of America Denmark France Sweden Russia Imperial Germany
    I wouldn't waste my money, but that's my opinion.

I bought a swab kit in 2018 that was updated last year and it's "meh" at best. My Ancestry upload is very similar, I can see the macro regions so I opted not to pay for the details since they seem to be pretty close.

My 23andMe kit appears to show more Southern Euro, which is intriguing since my paid swab only shows French in the form of minor Basque or other groups - otherwise it completely misses it. I'd pay for it out of curiosity, but not for $50.

Paid swab kit (cannot post JPEGs for some reason, it says the JPEG exceeds kb amount? I am not sure, they are small files)
    NE Europe 50.8%
    Scandinavia 18.1%
    NW Germanic 14%
    Scotland and Ireland 14.9%
    Basque 2.2%

Ancestry upload
    NE Europe 52.2%
    NW Europe 38.3%
    I assume the rest is Scotland and Ireland

23andMe upload
    NE Europe 46.1%
    NW Europe 33.9%
    Europe South 13.4%

NW and NE Europe are all relatively small spreads, in opposite directions though; NE is too high and NW is too low in all results, they should be reversed, but it's a minor complaint all things considered; but some German may be going to that NE number. The difference with 23andMe is the Southern Euro proxy, for French, which should be near 25% theoretically.

Maybe someone with actual ancestry from UK/Ireland has some input on the differences in their kits.
    AncestryDNA (2020 update): Eastern European and Russia 33%, Germanic Europe 32%, Sweden 10%, Norway 7%, Baltics 7%, France 5%, Scotland 4%, Finland 1%, Malta 1%

23andMe (v5.9): French and German 41.1%, Eastern European 38%, Scandinavian 8%, Finnish 1.6%, British and Irish 0.8%, BNWE 10.2%, North African 0.2%, Broadly European 0.1%

Registered Users
    Sex

LivingDNA overestimated my British ancestry quite a bit. I think that’s what it does with a lot of peoples results.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Quote Originally Posted by boilermeschew827 View Post
    I wouldn't waste my money, but that's my opinion.

I bought a swab kit in 2018 that was updated last year and it's "meh" at best. My Ancestry upload is very similar, I can see the macro regions so I opted not to pay for the details since they seem to be pretty close.

My 23andMe kit appears to show more Southern Euro, which is intriguing since my paid swab only shows French in the form of minor Basque or other groups - otherwise it completely misses it. I'd pay for it out of curiosity, but not for $50.

Paid swab kit (cannot post JPEGs for some reason, it says the JPEG exceeds kb amount? I am not sure, they are small files)
    NE Europe 50.8%
    Scandinavia 18.1%
    NW Germanic 14%
    Scotland and Ireland 14.9%
    Basque 2.2%

Ancestry upload
    NE Europe 52.2%
    NW Europe 38.3%

23andMe upload
    NE Europe 46.1%
    NW Europe 33.9%
    Europe South 13.4%

NW and NE Europe are all relatively small spreads, in opposite directions though; NE is too high and NW is too low in all results, they should be reversed, but it's a minor complaint all things considered; but some German may be going to that NE number. The difference with 23andMe is the Southern Euro proxy, for French, which should be near 25% theoretically.

Maybe someone with actual ancestry from UK/Ireland has some input on the differences in their kits.
    Thanks I have been looking for reviews of it from an Irish or British perspective but canít find many.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    Owen, it's really touch and go. For some people it can be more accurate with the paid test (My Sister), with respect to recorded ancestry, and for others the Ancestry upload appears more accurate (which has the least useable SNPs for their ancestry analysis). In my Brother's, Mother's and my case there is practically no difference, less than a couple of percent difference with respect to most regions. I think for Fionn, the upload was more accurate, and Jessie the paid test was more accurate, but neither were really approaching 'acceptable'. In my opinion, I would wait, until they announce that they've actually intoduced more Scottish and Irish samples, as they have threatened to do, going on 3+ years now.........

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (05-02-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Danish, English, Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z58
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c

United States Grand Union Denmark England Ireland Leinster Ireland Munster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    My LivingDNA upload from AncestryDna is heavily Irish (85%). This seems exaggerated, based on what I know about my ancestry, and what I recorded on Ancestry itself.

My fathers results are only 37% Irish and show up many of the regions I would expect. If I add my fathers Ireland and NW Scotland result, that stat is close to the 48% Irish he records on Ancestry. It is not close to the 63% I have on ancestry, more 94%.

Given the low 37% Irish from my father, the 85% Irish statistic for myself seems wrong. I was thinking of buying a LivingDNA kit as it may show more accurate results for myself. Would this be a waste of money? Would it show the same sort of result?
    I did an upload (23andMe) and a kit. I have a smaller amount of Irish than you but I would say the kit more accurately assessed my Irish (ancestors from Co. Clare and Laois), English, and definitely my continental Germanic ancestry. Results below (upload on left, kit on right).

As jadegreg suggested, I'd wait until they have an update with more sampling. (If that ever happens.)
    Living DNA-from upload.pngLivingDNA-from kit.png
    Last edited by Bog Body; 05-02-2021 at 09:18 PM.