Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Parsi
    Nationality
    Pakistani

Iran Sassanid Empire Greater Khorasan Pakistan India Iran Canada

Ismaili Shia Genetic Questions

Hey. I was wondering if anyone knows what Ismaili shias would score like. I haven't found any samples yet. I read on this forum that they usually score around 20 percent West Asian. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z2432
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a*
    Y-DNA (M)
    H-Z12547*
    mtDNA (P)
    M30g

Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    That depends on the Ismaili community in question, as its primarily a religious classification in the greater South Asia region. Ismaili Khojas (who are Lohana converts, like Jinnah family) score like Hindu Lohanas, who are very similar to khatris/aroras/bhatias. Hindukush Ismailis, primarily dardic groups, burushos and Pamiris score like what they are. Ismaili Bohras on the other hand have Yemeni, and often Iranian-type ancestry on top of their mercantile Gujarati base. You can search for some of these groups on the harappaWorld thread.

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (04-19-2021),  Ahmed Ali (04-19-2021),  discreetmaverick (04-19-2021),  FrostAssassin0701 (04-21-2021),  heksindhi (04-19-2021),  Jatt1 (04-23-2021),  Kapisa (04-19-2021),  Kirtan24 (04-19-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (04-19-2021),  Rahuls77 (04-19-2021),  Sapporo (04-20-2021),  Shujauddin (04-20-2021),  subzero85 (04-19-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by Azbuzz View Post
    Hey. I was wondering if anyone knows what Ismaili shias would score like. I haven't found any samples yet. I read on this forum that they usually score around 20 percent West Asian. I'm not sure if that's true or not.
    The Burusho from Gilgit Baltistan are mostly an Ismaili people, and there are pockets of Ismailis in the Wakhi belt as well.

Using Wesolowski's model on Vahaduo:

Target: Burusho
    Distance: 2.1778% / 0.02177800
    39.0 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2_I8728
    24.0 Yamnaya_RUS_Samara
    15.4 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N
    9.6 Han
    4.4 TUR_Barcin_N
    3.4 Kura-Araxes_ARM_Kaps
    2.0 Nganassan
    2.0 TUR_Tepecik_Ciftlik_N
    0.2 BRA_LapaDoSanto_9600BP

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

Ahmed Ali (04-20-2021),  Azbuzz (04-19-2021),  Kapisa (04-19-2021),  Kulin (04-19-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (04-19-2021),  subzero85 (04-19-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Ismaili Shias is not an ethnic origin but a religious group followed by a different ethnic groups.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shujauddin For This Useful Post:

Ahmed Ali (04-20-2021),  Coldmountains (04-21-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (04-20-2021),  Rahuls77 (04-20-2021),  subzero85 (04-21-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Awadhi
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2- (J-Z6082)
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d1a

I don't think Ismailis would be appreciably different from other individuals drawn from a similar ethnicity/community and geography.

Would be interested to know if they have any rare haplogroups that came from outside.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to subzero85 For This Useful Post:

Ahmed Ali (04-21-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Quote Originally Posted by subzero85 View Post
    I don't think Ismailis would be appreciably different from other individuals drawn from a similar ethnicity/community and geography.

Would be interested to know if they have any rare haplogroups that came from outside.
    GB Ismailis may have a minor Persian ancestry, however they are mostly what they are expected to be, a few NE Asian, some BMAC and some Eurasian Steppe.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

Ahmed Ali (04-25-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pothwari/Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b

United States of America Pakistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    GB Ismailis may have a minor Persian ancestry, however they are mostly what they are expected to be, a few NE Asian, some BMAC and some Eurasian Steppe.
    Btw, we dont have samples from the Wakhi community (also Ismaili). They should be closer to Tajiks since they are a same community culturally and lingustically divided by Wakhan Corridor. Burusho of Hunza and Yasin valley are different from the Wakhi because of the language but I am not sure if they inter-marry since both follow similar Ismaili religious traditions. Baltistan also has Ismaili communities so does Gilgit, though Baltis are genetically distinct. Baltis are majority Athna Ashari Shia also. Have met them in the US and in Rawalpindi where the community has it's own mosque. Their Islamic (Shia) rituals and practices are also similar to what I seen among Kashmiri Shias, probably because both communities converted around the same time period.
    Last edited by Kapisa; 04-21-2021 at 07:06 PM.
    Target: Kapisa_scaled
    Distance: 1.7453% / 0.01745296
    44.4 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2_I8728
    35.0 UZB_Bustan_BA
    18.0 KAZ_Ak_Moustafa_MLBA1
    2.6 MNG_East_N

Mitochondrial Haplogroup: R30b found in Shahr-I-Sokhta_BA1 subclades found in Swat IA:Leobanr, Katelai & Barikot Historic.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

Ahmed Ali (04-25-2021),  Rahuls77 (04-21-2021),  subzero85 (04-22-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    Btw, we dont have samples from the Wakhi community (also Ismaili). They should be closer to Tajiks since they are a same community culturally and lingustically divided by Wakhan Corridor. Burusho of Hunza and Yasin valley are different from the Wakhi because of the language but I am not sure if they inter-marry since both follow similar Ismaili religious traditions. Baltistan also has Ismaili communities so does Gilgit, though Baltis are genetically distinct. Baltis are majority Athna Ashari Shia also. Have met them in the US and in Rawalpindi where the community has it's own mosque.
    Yes, the Wakhi Ismailis are genetically distinct from the GB Ismailis. They do have some similar Chehlum rituals though. But the similarities stop there. Even though they are NOT very distant.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

Sapporo (04-21-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a

Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    Btw, we dont have samples from the Wakhi community (also Ismaili). They should be closer to Tajiks since they are a same community culturally and lingustically divided by Wakhan Corridor. Burusho of Hunza and Yasin valley are different from the Wakhi because of the language but I am not sure if they inter-marry since both follow similar Ismaili religious traditions. Baltistan also has Ismaili communities so does Gilgit, though Baltis are genetically distinct. Baltis are majority Athna Ashari Shia also. Have met them in the US and in Rawalpindi where the community has it's own mosque. Their Islamic (Shia) rituals and practices are also similar to what I seen among Kashmiri Shias, probably because both communities converted around the same time period.
    There are Ismaili Wakhi people in Ghizer and Gojal who DO intermarry with the other Ismailis in GB. I have been told this just now. They would have come from Tajikistan.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pothwari/Punjabi
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30b

United States of America Pakistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    There are Ismaili Wakhi people in Ghizer and Gojal who DO intermarry with the other Ismailis in GB. I have been told this just now. They would have come from Tajikistan.
    Yes, those are the ones I was talking about. Some villages there have mix Burusho and Wakhi population. They call themselves Pamiri and Wakhi.
    Target: Kapisa_scaled
    Distance: 1.7453% / 0.01745296
    44.4 IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA2_I8728
    35.0 UZB_Bustan_BA
    18.0 KAZ_Ak_Moustafa_MLBA1
    2.6 MNG_East_N

Mitochondrial Haplogroup: R30b found in Shahr-I-Sokhta_BA1 subclades found in Swat IA:Leobanr, Katelai & Barikot Historic.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

Rahuls77 (04-21-2021)