Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fakirani Jats of Gujarat and Sindh - relics from the enchanted Harappan lands

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

India

The Fakirani Jats of Gujarat and Sindh - relics from the enchanted Harappan lands

Today I came across this sublime documentary about the Fakirani Jats of Kachch - their lifestyles, traditions, music, and poetry.

The film takes us across the ancient sands of the Rann of Kachch, exposes us to a slice of life of these wonderful nomadic pastoralists. Haji Umar Suleiman, an elderly patriarch, recites poignantly the verses of Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai, while the camera rolls across the beautiful sprawling landscapes of Kachch.

Other scenes acquaint us with tales from the Sindhi and Balochi folklore, the likes of Sassui Punhun and Umar Marui, sung by a young Mustafa Ali Jat and accompanied by his cousin Usman Sonu Jat on the pensive strings of his one-hundred-years-old Surando.

When we Shepherds graze our cattle, our lives, our joys and sorrows are similar to the stories of Bhittai. The same camels, the same mountains, the same heat, the same hardships - Our experiences are reflected in the melodies of Shah Bhittai...
    “Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, “Nay, sorrow is the greater.”
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.”
    ― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (04-24-2021),  AlluGobi (05-13-2021),  altvred (04-24-2021),  Amber29 (04-24-2021),  discreetmaverick (04-24-2021),  heksindhi (04-24-2021),  Jatt1 (04-24-2021),  Kulin (04-24-2021),  laltota (04-24-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (04-24-2021),  parasar (05-07-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi (Jatt)
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2b (R-Y136220)
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a1

Quote Originally Posted by Kirtan24 View Post
    Today I came across this sublime documentary about the Fakirani Jats of Kachch - their lifestyles, traditions, music, and poetry.

The film takes us across the ancient sands of the Rann of Kachch, exposes us to a slice of life of these wonderful nomadic pastoralists. Haji Umar Suleiman, an elderly patriarch, recites poignantly the verses of Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai, while the camera rolls across the beautiful sprawling landscapes of Kachch.

Other scenes acquaint us with tales from the Sindhi and Balochi folklore, the likes of Sassui Punhun and Umar Marui, sung by a young Mustafa Ali Jat and accompanied by his cousin Usman Sonu Jat on the pensive strings of his one-hundred-years-old Surando.
    Would be great if someone would do a genetics study on them including yDna and mtDNA haplogroups.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to laltota For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (04-24-2021),  heksindhi (04-24-2021),  Jatt1 (04-24-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (04-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Very interesting, these are Sufi people. Is there any dna information on them anywhere?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

laltota (04-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Sindhi
    Nationality
    American

English transliteration of the "Jat" word tends to cause confusion. These are "Jut" with a soft t ( ڄت ) vs "Jutt" with a hard t ( جٹ ). The former is equivalent to Camel Driver/Herder while the latter is a synonym for Peasant. Two different words in Sindhi. The Juts (soft t variety) of lower Sindh and Kutch, along with the Jadgal of Balochistan and the Gulf (Zadjal), likely originate from Balochistan, as they are currently found all the way from Dashtiyar(Iran) to Kutch(India) as well as Oman.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to heksindhi For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (05-13-2021),  desi (04-24-2021),  discreetmaverick (04-24-2021),  Jatt1 (04-24-2021),  Kirtan24 (04-24-2021),  laltota (04-24-2021),  MonkeyDLuffy (04-24-2021),  pegasus (04-24-2021),  poi (04-30-2021),  thejkhan (04-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

India
    Quote Originally Posted by heksindhi View Post
    English transliteration of the "Jat" word tends to cause confusion. These are "Jut" with a soft t ( ڄت ) vs "Jutt" with a hard t ( جٹ ). The former is equivalent to Camel Driver/Herder while the latter is a synonym for Peasant. Two different words in Sindhi. The Juts (soft t variety) of lower Sindh and Kutch, along with the Jadgal of Balochistan and the Gulf (Zadjal), likely originate from Balochistan, as they are currently found all the way from Dashtiyar(Iran) to Kutch(India) as well as Oman.
    Indeed, the distinct pronunciations are clear in Gujarati and Kutchi as well. I was a bit lazy and just used the usual English spelling. In absence of genetic data for them, one can only speculate, but still - would you wager that they would score similar to other Balochis, perhaps with a geographic cline as one moves from Balochistan to Kutch?
    “Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, “Nay, sorrow is the greater.”
    Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.”

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

heksindhi (04-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

India
    Quote Originally Posted by laltota View Post
    Would be great if someone would do a genetics study on them including yDna and mtDNA haplogroups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatt1 View Post
    Very interesting, these are Sufi people. Is there any dna information on them anywhere?
    I haven't come across any genetic data on them as of now, unfortunately. I am personally very curious about the same, along with genetic insights into the ethnogenesis of other nomadic/semi-nomadic communities of Gujarat, e.g. Rabaris, Bharwads, Vanjara, etc. I might try to collect a few samples whenever I visit India the next time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (04-24-2021),  laltota (04-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Sindhi
    Nationality
    American

Indeed, the distinct pronunciations are clear in Gujarati and Kutchi as well. I was a bit lazy and just used the usual English spelling. In absence of genetic data for them, one can only speculate, but still - would you wager that they would score similar to other Balochis, perhaps with a geographic cline as one moves from Balochistan to Kutch?
    Interestingly, these folks seem to be speaking close to a standard southern Sindhi dialect, rather than the Kutchi I've heard some Khojas and Memons speak.
    I can only guess at their autosomal scores, but I would wager they're substantially Gedrosian, although not identical to the Baloch as they probably have lower Iranian Plateau ancestry. I'm sure there is a geographical cline, but not an extreme one as these folk were quite mobile until recently.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heksindhi For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (05-13-2021),  Jatt1 (04-24-2021),  Kirtan24 (04-24-2021),  laltota (04-24-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gujarati Brahmin
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L26

India
    Interestingly, these folks seem to be speaking close to a standard southern Sindhi dialect, rather than the Kutchi I've heard some Khojas and Memons speak.
    I can only guess at their autosomal scores, but I would wager they're substantially Gedrosian, although not identical to the Baloch as they probably have lower Iranian Plateau ancestry. I'm sure there is a geographical cline, but not an extreme one as these folk were quite mobile until recently.
    Yes, Haji Umar Suleiman mentions, with considerable sadness understandably, that untill a couple of decades ago, movements across the borders were quite usual and they had relatives living on the other side, but now this is unimaginable.
    Though in this video their dialect indeed sounds closer to Sindhi, I have come across them during my visits to Kutch and have heard them speaking Kutchi, but then I am not sure if they were Fakirani Juts or Dhanetah/Garasia Juts. A very fascinating folk they are!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kirtan24 For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (05-13-2021),  heksindhi (04-24-2021),  Jatt1 (04-24-2021),  laltota (04-24-2021)

Gold Class Member

Afghanistan Jammu and Kashmir United States of America Canada
    There were two samples from Eastern Iran like that posted before, here was one of them , cannot find the other. Likely Jadgali

Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
    1 Baloch 45.22
    2 S-Indian 23
    3 Caucasian 17.57
    4 SW-Asian 5.69
    5 NE-Euro 3.48
    6 Siberian 1.41
    7 Mediterranean 1.04
    8 American 0.9
    9 Papuan 0.59
    10 Pygmy 0.51
    11 Beringian 0.42
    12 W-African 0.17

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
    1 sindhi (harappa) 8.45
    2 pathan (hgdp) 8.8
    3 kalash (hgdp) 8.84

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pegasus For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (04-25-2021),  AlluGobi (05-13-2021),  discreetmaverick (04-25-2021),  heksindhi (04-24-2021),  Jatt1 (04-24-2021),  Sapporo (04-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Pakistan
    People tend to confuse the two communities given similar names. Early Islamic sources are likely mentioning these Jutt (soft T) and not the Jatts. The word in Arabic is Zut which probably comes from the word above. I did read in the British Era Census reports from Balochistan about 'Jatt' living in Kacchi plains and Lasbela as farmers. I wonder if they are any different from the above mentioned "Jutt" nomads?

Kapisa ► Kapisa
    fit 1.67
    Katelai IA 67
    Loebanr IA 33

Kapisa ► Kapisa-Dad
    fit 1.77
    Katelai IA 70.5
    Loebanr IA 29.5

Kapisa ► Kapisa-Mom
    fit 2.13
    Katelai IA 70.5
    Loebanr IA 29.5

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kapisa For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (05-13-2021),  heksindhi (04-24-2021),  laltota (04-24-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast