Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Fakirani Jats of Gujarat and Sindh - relics from the enchanted Harappan lands

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Kapisa View Post
    People tend to confuse the two communities given similar names. Early Islamic sources are likely mentioning these Jutt (soft T) and not the Jatts. The word in Arabic is Zut which probably comes from the word above. I did read in the British Era Census reports from Balochistan about 'Jatt' living in Kacchi plains and Lasbela as farmers. I wonder if they are any different from the above mentioned "Jutt" nomads?
    I am aware of Sikh Jatts in Sindh, one of the close relative of my elders had settled there and one of my elders had flown there to see if it was worth buying land there .

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (05-13-2021),  Kirtan24 (04-24-2021),  laltota (04-28-2021),  Sapporo (04-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Sindhi
    Nationality
    American

People tend to confuse the two communities given similar names. Early Islamic sources are likely mentioning these Jutt (soft T) and not the Jatts. The word in Arabic is Zut which probably comes from the word above. I did read in the British Era Census reports from Balochistan about 'Jatt' living in Kacchi plains and Lasbela as farmers. I wonder if they are any different from the above mentioned "Jutt" nomads?
    I'm of the same opinion regarding the mention of Jatts/Jutts in early Islam sources. Arabic does not distinguish between soft and hard T's which, much like the later British accounts, led to this confusion.

I can't speak to the ethnic origin of Katchi Jatt farmers, but in Lasbela it would be the same Jut grouping of tribes. Jadgal or Jamot is the term used for all Sindhi speaking tribes native to Balochistan. Lasbela is the lone Jadgal territory in Balochistan as they outnumber the Baloch/Brahui, and the ruling Jam of Lasbela is the head of the Jamot tribes. Most of them are farmers these days, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were originally pastoralists, and even today the camel breeders tend to be Jadgal across Balochistan.

The Jadgal in Iran have oral history of migrating from Lasbela.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heksindhi For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (04-25-2021),  Kapisa (04-24-2021),  Kirtan24 (04-25-2021),  laltota (04-28-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Parsi and Irani
    Nationality
    Pakistani and Indian

Iran Sassanid Empire AchaemenidEmpire1 Pakistan India Iran Canada
    Us Gujarati people have surely got to be the most diverse people on the planet haha

Gold Class Member

Az-ZuTT
    Instead of ت we see accented ط being used.
    https://www.google.com/books/edition...utt%22&pg=PA42

7. The Following User Says Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (05-13-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Pakistan
    Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    Az-ZuTT
    Instead of ت we see accented ط being used.
    https://www.google.com/books/edition...utt%22&pg=PA42
    Exactly. Thanks for the reference. Given this reference is from Ibn Umer and refers to general people from India (at least those they came in contact with), it cannot apply to the Jatt community of Punjab.
    Another confusing thing is that aside from
    Jat with a ت or a soft t, and a Zutt with a phoneme ط, there is another variety with a 'th' sound:
    "جاٿ जाट jāṭ
    H جاٿ जाट jāṭ, s.m. Name of a tribe of Rājpūts (who are mostly cultivators); a member of the tribe.
    جاٿ जाट jāṭ
    H جاٿ जाट jāṭ, s.m.=jāṭh, q.v."

this one refers to farmers or cultivators.
    https://www.rekhta.org/urdudictionar...t&reftype=rweb

Kapisa ► Kapisa
    fit 1.67
    Katelai IA 67
    Loebanr IA 33

Kapisa ► Kapisa-Dad
    fit 1.77
    Katelai IA 70.5
    Loebanr IA 29.5

Kapisa ► Kapisa-Mom
    fit 2.13
    Katelai IA 70.5