Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: What other countries are genetically similar to those in the Balkans?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    What other countries are genetically similar to those in the Balkans?

    Trying to figure out why I am so genetically similar to the Balkans if I have no ancestry from that area.

  2. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    77
    Sex
    Location
    NYC
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY62310 (Kelmendi)
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a1c

    Albania United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    Trying to figure out why I am so genetically similar to the Balkans if I have no ancestry from that area.
    I'd say Italy is probably the most similar to the Balkans, I'm no expert though.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to excine For This Useful Post:

     alexfritz (04-28-2021),  HBA39 (04-28-2021),  JMcB (04-28-2021),  peloponnesian (04-29-2021)

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    77
    Sex
    Location
    NYC
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY62310 (Kelmendi)
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a1c

    Albania United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by excine View Post
    I'd say Italy is probably the most similar to the Balkans, I'm no expert though.
    https://imgur.com/2ufwMeL
    “To Maltsia e madhe I first turned my steps–not to see the mountains, but to see life, history, the world, and the great unknown, as it looks to the mountain man.”
    - Edith Durham

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to excine For This Useful Post:

     HBA39 (04-28-2021),  JMcB (04-28-2021)

  6. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    5,136
    Sex
    Location
    Zagreb
    Ethnicity
    Kaikavian Croatian
    Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1a2b-A815
    mtDNA (M)
    HV0-T195C!

    Croatia European Union
    Balkan is made of various combinations of Slavic and pre-Slavic Balkan populations which were most similar to today Albanian, Italian or Greek populations.
     
    All simple calculations, maps and plots I make for free, but for more complicated maps and calculations I ask for a donation via Hidden Content PayPalHidden Content account

  7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ph2ter For This Useful Post:

     Aben Aboo (04-28-2021),  Alain (04-28-2021),  excine (04-28-2021),  Greekscholar (04-28-2021),  HBA39 (04-28-2021),  JMcB (04-28-2021),  jstephan (04-28-2021),  Nino90 (04-28-2021),  Riverman (04-28-2021),  slievenamon (04-28-2021)

  8. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by excine View Post
    I'd say Italy is probably the most similar to the Balkans, I'm no expert though.
    I have no Italian ancestry either. I’m so confused about where it is coming from. It does not show Balkan with my old 23andme test but I deleted my account before the update so possibly it will show there. It does not show with G25 single to unless I alter the ADC but it shows up with the distance tool and other tests that I have uploaded raw data for.

  9. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    862
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a CTS11962+L1029+
    mtDNA (M)
    H80

    European Union Germany Italy
    from the supp. of a recent paper
    using a fineSTRUCTURE analysis (dendogram p3) north/central italians and south balkan pops. (albanian, greek and bulgarian) are on the same branch

    best guess
    common pre-slavic balkan ancestry from the late-antiquity (provincials)
    or maybe in part earlier iron-age (see:HRV_IA/RMPR_IA)
    Last edited by alexfritz; 04-28-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    GENO2.0 51SEURO 19WCEURO 13SCANDINAVIA 5ASIAMINOR 4EEURO 4GB/IRELAND 3ARABIA myOrigins 26ITA.PENINSULA 13GREECE&BALKANS 12SARDINIA 18GREATBRITAIN 14IRELAND 10CEN.EUROPE 8SCANDINAVIA DNA.Land 49NWEURO 27SEURO 13MED.ISLANDER 11SARDINIAN myHeritage 51.8NWEURO 33.2ITALIAN 7.9GREEK/S.ITALY 7.1BALKAN gencove 29NITALY 19EMED 15NBRITISLES 12SWEURO 10NCEURO 9SCANDINAVIA 6NEEURO GenePlaza 54.4NWEURO 37.6GREEK/ALBANIAN 5.6WASIAN 2.4SWASIA LivingDNA 70.7SGERMANIC 16.3TUSCANY 9.2N.ITALY 3.8SARDINIA

  10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alexfritz For This Useful Post:

     Alain (04-28-2021),  excine (04-28-2021),  Greekscholar (04-28-2021),  HBA39 (04-28-2021),  JMcB (04-28-2021),  peloponnesian (04-29-2021),  slievenamon (04-28-2021)

  11. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,444
    Sex
    Location
    Sweden
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Germanic
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a1

    Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican Italy Tuscany
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ter View Post
    Balkan is made of various combinations of Slavic and pre-Slavic Balkan populations which were most similar to today Albanian, Italian or Greek populations.
    Agree.

    The main difference is the lack of Slavic admixture.

    Some North East Italians have maximum 15% Slavic admixture. But it is not common.

    If we look at the Pre-slavic balkan samples we have they are all close to Greeks and Italians.
    Hidden Content

    Target: Nino_scaled
    Distance: 3.1640% / 0.03163963 | R3P
    64.4 __Germanic
    26.4 __IllyricRoman
    9.2 __Finnic

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nino90 For This Useful Post:

     HBA39 (04-28-2021),  JMcB (04-28-2021),  jstephan (04-28-2021),  ph2ter (04-28-2021)

  13. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,890
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    I have no Italian ancestry either. I’m so confused about where it is coming from. It does not show Balkan with my old 23andme test but I deleted my account before the update so possibly it will show there. It does not show with G25 single to unless I alter the ADC but it shows up with the distance tool and other tests that I have uploaded raw data for.
    On what is your assumption that you are so similar to the Balkan component, more than people with your background, based upon? A test? Which test? Or matches? A minor Balkan-like component is widespread, a higher one not as much.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (04-28-2021)

  15. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    On what is your assumption that you are so similar to the Balkan component, more than people with your background, based upon? A test? Which test? Or matches? A minor Balkan-like component is widespread, a higher one not as much.

    Several tests and several MyHeritage matches. ADNTro, DNAgenics, illustrative DNA closet populations, YourDNAPortal closest populations and oracles, DNA Land, G25 distances and mytrueancestry
    Last edited by HBA39; 04-28-2021 at 04:01 PM.

  16. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,890
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    Several tests and several MyHeritage matches. ADNTro, DNAgenics, illustrative DNA closet populations, YourDNAPortal closest populations and oracles, DNA Land, G25 distances and mytrueancestry
    Those tests have to be taken with a pinch of salt. They can highly over- or underestimate your real ancestry and remodel it into something very different than it really is.

    The best testing company for complex mixtures is 23andme.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

     digital_noise (04-28-2021),  JMcB (04-28-2021),  MatAust21 (04-29-2021)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2021, 09:34 AM
  2. Replies: 812
    Last Post: 04-18-2021, 09:31 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-08-2021, 05:19 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2015, 07:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •