Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: What other countries are genetically similar to those in the Balkans?

  1. #11
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Those tests have to be taken with a pinch of salt. They can highly over- or underestimate your real ancestry and remodel it into something very different than it really is.

    The best testing company for complex mixtures is 23andme.

    I understand that. But they all say pretty much the same thing as one another.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to HBA39 For This Useful Post:

     Riverman (04-28-2021)

  3. #12
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,914
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    I understand that. But they all say pretty much the same thing as one another.
    If so, follow the matches and check the shared segments I'd say.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (04-28-2021)

  5. #13
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,934
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

    Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    I understand that. But they all say pretty much the same thing as one another.
    That’s likely because they all use the same sample data sets. Do not take what they say for anything more than entertainment purposes, at least until you get your new 23 and me results to compare.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

     HBA39 (04-28-2021),  Riverman (04-28-2021)

  7. #14
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    That’s likely because they all use the same sample data sets. Do not take what they say for anything more than entertainment purposes, at least until you get your new 23 and me results to compare.
    And the matches with MyHeritage?

  8. #15
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,934
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

    Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    And the matches with MyHeritage?
    I can’t say for sure. I haven’t spent a lot of time looking through matches on MyHeritage. From what I have seen at a glance, many are correct but I have a lot of low confidence matches that may or may not be relevant. Even AncestryDNA gives me weird or likely incorrect matches. What I think you should do is either do a 23 and Me test or wait for your results. 23 and Me is not perfect (I feel it’s the best autosomal test available current though) but it will land you in the right area autosomally so you can then take that info and compare across the board.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

  9. #16
    Registered Users
    Posts
    5,852
    Sex
    Location
    Australia
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

    Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    I can’t say for sure. I haven’t spent a lot of time looking through matches on MyHeritage. From what I have seen at a glance, many are correct but I have a lot of low confidence matches that may or may not be relevant. Even AncestryDNA gives me weird or likely incorrect matches. What I think you should do is either do a 23 and Me test or wait for your results. 23 and Me is not perfect (I feel it’s the best autosomal test available current though) but it will land you in the right area autosomally so you can then take that info and compare across the board.
    I asked myheritage on their matches listings and what they mean

    low confidence = 10% match

    medium confidence = 50% match

    blank = 90% plus in a match

    it makes 100% for my family tree and the matches I have unraveled


    here is their latest for one of my blank .....found december 2020 .............change to

    2nd cousin twice removed
    DNA Match quality?
    0.3% (21.3‎ cM)Shared DNA
    1Shared segments
    21.3‎ cM
    Last edited by vettor; 04-28-2021 at 05:07 PM.


    My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+ )


    Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-Y33791 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

     digital_noise (04-28-2021),  JMcB (04-28-2021)

  11. #17
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    I can’t say for sure. I haven’t spent a lot of time looking through matches on MyHeritage. From what I have seen at a glance, many are correct but I have a lot of low confidence matches that may or may not be relevant. Even AncestryDNA gives me weird or likely incorrect matches. What I think you should do is either do a 23 and Me test or wait for your results. 23 and Me is not perfect (I feel it’s the best autosomal test available current though) but it will land you in the right area autosomally so you can then take that info and compare across the board.
    What is 23andme’s matches like? Are they accurate? I was always under the impression that the matches are 100% correct

  12. #18
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,934
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

    Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    What is 23andme’s matches like? Are they accurate? I was always under the impression that the matches are 100% correct
    My 23 and me are correct, at least the ones I can “prove”. Matches are not always correct tho, but I’m not exactly sure what the criteria or data science is when they are not. What can happen tho is if the autosomal aspect of your match is incorrect, say Balkan on My Heritage, then you are chasing a false lead. My aunt shows 27% Balkan in MH, but in reality she is 50% South Italian. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think we had Albanian ancestry or something as such.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (04-28-2021)

  14. #19
    Registered Users
    Posts
    194
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    My 23 and me are correct, at least the ones I can “prove”. Matches are not always correct tho, but I’m not exactly sure what the criteria or data science is when they are not. What can happen tho is if the autosomal aspect of your match is incorrect, say Balkan on My Heritage, then you are chasing a false lead. My aunt shows 27% Balkan in MH, but in reality she is 50% South Italian. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think we had Albanian ancestry or something as such.

    I wouldn’t take it too seriously either except I have over 300 matches who are Balkan. If it were a few then I wouldn’t be looking into it too much. That’s the only thing I like about MH is that it sorts your matches into categories and make it easier to see who is from where.

  15. #20
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,934
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

    Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by HBA39 View Post
    I wouldn’t take it too seriously either except I have over 300 matches who are Balkan. If it were a few then I wouldn’t be looking into it too much. That’s the only thing I like about MH is that it sorts your matches into categories and make it easier to see who is from where.
    Here's the meat of it: If you have Balkan ancestry then they are likely correct! But Balkan on MH is iffy, meaning people who are not Balkan tend to get assigned Balkan if they have a south east euro signal. So thats why I suggest waiting for 23 and me as they will accurately land you in the correct regions. It might be a mix of Greek/Balkan and eastern Europe if you have legitimate Balkan ancestry and you can sort through the matches easily. I dont intend to talk down My Heritage as for me personally their autosomal estimate is accurate for the most part, but its hit or miss across the board for most people.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2021, 09:34 AM
  2. Replies: 812
    Last Post: 04-18-2021, 09:31 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-08-2021, 05:19 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2015, 07:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •