Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY62310 (Kelmendi)
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a1c

Albania United States of America

Living DNA update?

Seems like living DNA is updating their method of admixture.

https://i.imgur.com/V11bzv2.png
    “To Maltsia e madhe I first turned my steps–not to see the mountains, but to see life, history, the world, and the great unknown, as it looks to the mountain man.”
    - Edith Durham

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to excine For This Useful Post:

Hurricane (04-28-2021),  JMcB (04-29-2021),  kujira692 (04-30-2021),  MatAust21 (04-29-2021),  michal3141 (04-29-2021),  Mr.G (04-28-2021),  Robert1 (05-25-2021),  timberwolf (04-29-2021),  Wing Genealogist (04-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North, West and East Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3
    Y-DNA (M)
    I-CTS5966
    mtDNA (P)
    H2a3

United States of America Denmark France Prussia Russia Imperial Germany
    I found the following statements in that image interesting:

That we will soon be rolling out a method update that will be available to customers with European ancestry outside of Great Britain and Ireland. Our team is working super hard to make this update available within the following weeks. If the upgrade is applicable to you, you will be notified.

and

Sadly, not everyone will be eligible to receive this update, but if you don’t hear from us this time around don’t worry! We’re still working on additional improvements and refinements for the rest of the world as well, so watch this space!

How are they determining who is eligible for this update? For example, I have no ancestry from GB and Ireland, but am assigned 14.9% Scotland and Ireland - am I now ineligible based on a current assignment? Or like the "unofficial" 2019 update, are we all going to need to fill out a survey stating our paper trail?

Seems like a weird way to roll out an update. Like many of these things, it will be interesting.
    AncestryDNA (2020 update): Eastern European and Russia 33%, Germanic Europe 32%, Sweden 10%, Norway 7%, Baltics 7%, France 5%, Scotland 4%, Finland 1%, Malta 1%

23andMe (v5.9): French and German 41.1%, Eastern European 38%, Scandinavian 8%, Finnish 1.6%, British and Irish 0.8%, BNWE 10.2%, North African 0.2%, Broadly European 0.1%

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boilermeschew827 For This Useful Post:

excine (04-29-2021),  Nqp15hhu (04-29-2021),  timberwolf (04-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

I think this update will be available for all people with European ancestry.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mariusz95 For This Useful Post:

excine (04-29-2021),  MatAust21 (04-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Moldovan/Romanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PH908*, DYS561=15
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1b1a

Moldova Romania European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by boilermeschew827 View Post
    How are they determining who is eligible for this update? For example, I have no ancestry from GB and Ireland, but am assigned 14.9% Scotland and Ireland - am I now ineligible based on a current assignment? Or like the "unofficial" 2019 update, are we all going to need to fill out a survey stating our paper trail?

Seems like a weird way to roll out an update. Like many of these things, it will be interesting.
    Same, no ancestry from the isles, but they assign me a couple of percentages. Will be a bummer if that will stop me from getting the update.
    Recent ancestry: 2/4 Central Moldova (Orhei district), 1/4 Southern Moldova (Cahul district), 1/4 Northern Moldova (Briceni district)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

excine (04-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian, German, Slav
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

Italy Germany Poland Brazil Rio Grande do Sul Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkymon View Post
    Same, no ancestry from the isles, but they assign me a couple of percentages. Will be a bummer if that will stop me from getting the update.
    It's hard to believe no update would be applied to those whose results are partially British/Irish, partially other European.

Maybe, with this algorithm update, you might even lose you British score, if it is not real.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MatAust21 For This Useful Post:

timberwolf (04-29-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European-Blend
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z59

Ireland Canada Quebec Germany Palatinate England Netherlands Scotland
    I think there was an update like this before wherein only some people received it: I think it was a refinement to regions within Great Britain and you had to have over a certain threshold percentage from their to receive it (it was low I thought...like 20%??) So I think they mean that if an account has, say 20%+, ancestry in Europe outside of Great Britain/Ireland then they will get the update.

Not sure if that's what they actually mean, but that's how I understand it.
    AncestryDNA Genetic Communities
    Father: Canadian Maritimes Acadian, Newfoundland & Southeastern Labrador Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers, New England Settlers, New York Settlers, Southwestern Quebec French Settlers, Southwestern Quebec & New York & Vermont French Settlers
    Mother: Southern Ontario Settlers, New York Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers
    AncestryDNA: England & Northwestern Europe: 49%, Scotland: 39%, Ireland 8%, Germanic Europe 4%

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by kujira692 View Post
    I think there was an update like this before wherein only some people received it: I think it was a refinement to regions within Great Britain and you had to have over a certain threshold percentage from their to receive it (it was low I thought...like 20%??) So I think they mean that if an account has, say 20%+, ancestry in Europe outside of Great Britain/Ireland then they will get the update.

Not sure if that's what they actually mean, but that's how I understand it.
    One problem with this is that if you have an ancestry in Europe outside of Great Britain/Ireland that should be above 20%, you will not get the update simply because LivingDNA has underestimated your non-Great Britain/Ireland result.

They do this very often with some ancestry that is actually German, assigning it to Great Britain instead.

23andMe's Ancestry Composition quite reasonably assigns me 48.2% "French & German", 36.3% "British & Irish", 6.2% "Broadly Northwestern Europe". They also assign several other fairly small ancestries, including 6.0% "Southern European" and 1.9% "Native American".

By contrast, LivingDNA only "sees" 16.4% "Northwest Germanic", and the rest of my German ancestry is apparently assigned to parts of Great Britain which have a high percentage of Angle and Saxon DNA.

However, they do at least assign 6.7% of my Menorcan ancestry to "East Iberia", which is better than Ancestry was able to do. (Ancestry gave me 0 "Spanish" and only 5% "Germanic Europe".)
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    I went over there and it offered me the update for my Ancestry upload and my parents' ancestry uploads. It didn't for my actual LDNA test, oddly.
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 05-09-2021 at 02:50 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (05-17-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Germany England Sweden France Norway Ukraine
    I don’t think it’s the update. It’s just worded that way. I think they meant to say to unlock. I could be wrong but also how would you know it got updated if you’ve never seen it. Sort of catch 22.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    There is some kind of update. It changed things around, but still is messed up re German, from what I can see. My mom now has 19.4% Scandinavian (one of her grandmothers was fully Swedish, so that makes sense), but the rest (80.6%) is British Isles, so it's still missing all the German (my mom is likely around 25% German, only 50% British Isles on paper).

My dad gets 76.6% British Isles (which is in the ballpark, if a bit low, and his North Wales is at 7.5% -- I'm glad they picked up North Wales. Some of the other regions make sense too). However, his non British Isles is 1.3% Basque (he had Basque before the update, he has about 6.25% French ancestry on paper, so maybe), 2.8% Finland (I think this is new), and then 19.4% South Germanic (too high, but not crazy -- He also has a little Dutch ancestry, so maybe that's getting mixed in). Mainly, though, I think they still have issues with English vs German.

And then amusingly, I now get only 27.6% British Isles. My 72.4% European includes 42.4% South Germanic (much of this should be English), 15.4% Scandinavia (as with my mom, this makes sense), and 14.6% NW Germanic. (I am likely about 20% German at most, although that's on paper so could be more or less, mixed Rhineland and Swiss.)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Aiden (05-14-2021),  JMcB (05-14-2021),  kujira692 (05-10-2021)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast