Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sephardic and Mizrahi Jewish showing up in results, is it something to look into?

Registered Users
    Sex

Sephardic and Mizrahi Jewish showing up in results, is it something to look into?

https://imgur.com/a/WqNqmpf

Ftdna :
    Central Europe 8%
    England 27%
    Scandinavian 11%
    West Slavic 23%
    East Slavic 4%
    Magyar 16%
    Baltic 3%
    Iberian 7%
    Mizrahi Jewish 1%
    Sephardic Jewish 2%

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (05-05-2021),  laulei (05-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Nationality
    U.S.A
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y167028
    mtDNA (M)
    HV16a

United States of America Hungary Germany England France Wales
    It's probably just noise. It seems like everybody is getting some mysterious Jewish or Middle Eastern component.
    Paper Trail Ancestry (6 Generations):
    47% German, 30% English, 9% Irish, 5% French, 3% Scottish, 3% Welsh, 2% Hungarian, 1% Rusyn

Grandparents' Surnames and Origins:
    *Direct Paternal-- Apró (Hungary) E-V13 > CTS9320 > Z17107 > Y167028
    *Paternal Grandmother-- Brannon (Ireland) R1b-U106 > Z381 > Z301 > Z30 > S15510
    *Maternal Grandfather-- Hayes (Ireland or England)
    *Maternal Grandmother-- Daniel (Wales) R-M269 > L21 > DF13 > Z39589 > BY66743

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryanis_Apronius For This Useful Post:

Rufus191 (06-17-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Last three items seem to go together...maybe a Spanish great grandparent with significant converso ancestry. Could be noise. 3% Jewish seems high to be purely noise, though. Worth checking at least another mainstream one, and running through GEDmatch stuff.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentleman For This Useful Post:

Rufus191 (06-17-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

I thought it was odd too as I heard most companies are pretty precise at detecting Jewish ancestry. But why I was asking is because on 23andme, or ancestrydna, no Jewish or Iberian is scored.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanis_Apronius View Post
    It's probably just noise. It seems like everybody is getting some mysterious Jewish or Middle Eastern component.
    Yeah I know ftdna is not as accurate as other companies, but still just wanted to get others opinions. Practically half German, half Eastern European. However, German dad always said he was a German Jew. But 23andme or ancestrydna don't show Jewish, or Iberian. Surprisingly, myheritage shows a tiny amount of Iberian and gives Ashkenazi Jewish.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Nationality
    U.S.A
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y167028
    mtDNA (M)
    HV16a

United States of America Hungary Germany England France Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Yeah I know ftdna is not as accurate as other companies, but still just wanted to get others opinions. Practically half German, half Eastern European. However, German dad always said he was a German Jew. But 23andme or ancestrydna don't show Jewish, or Iberian. Surprisingly, myheritage shows a tiny amount of Iberian and gives Ashkenazi Jewish.
    Ah, I see. Sorry, I can be a little pessimistic sometimes. If your father says he has Jewish heritage, then it may be something worth looking into. Have you seen a lot of fully Jewish or mostly Jewish matches? Hopefully, FTDNA will finally roll out their chromosome painter feature soon so you can triangulate your Jewish segments with your matches.
    Paper Trail Ancestry (6 Generations):
    47% German, 30% English, 9% Irish, 5% French, 3% Scottish, 3% Welsh, 2% Hungarian, 1% Rusyn

Grandparents' Surnames and Origins:
    *Direct Paternal-- Apró (Hungary) E-V13 > CTS9320 > Z17107 > Y167028
    *Paternal Grandmother-- Brannon (Ireland) R1b-U106 > Z381 > Z301 > Z30 > S15510
    *Maternal Grandfather-- Hayes (Ireland or England)
    *Maternal Grandmother-- Daniel (Wales) R-M269 > L21 > DF13 > Z39589 > BY66743

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryanis_Apronius For This Useful Post:

passenger (05-06-2021)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    What are your full 23andme and Ancestry results? I wouldn't take MyHeritage and FTDNA at face value, as it appears they incorrectly assign these minor percentages to a lot of people with different backgrounds. Having said that, I think you're right not to dismiss these percentages offhand, as sometimes they do turn out to be something significant.

I wouldn't use Iberian as an indicator of possible Sephardic ancestry, though, unless you find that it occurs in segments shared with Jewish matches. Do you notice any patterns in terms of matches? Any significant number of matches with people with different backgrounds from those in your paper trail?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Pylsteen (05-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Netherlands
    Look at your matches! If there is some jewish ancestry, you will have jewish matches.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pylsteen For This Useful Post:

Cowboy (05-07-2021),  hartaisarlag (05-06-2021),  passenger (05-06-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    What are your full 23andme and Ancestry results? I wouldn't take MyHeritage and FTDNA at face value, as it appears they incorrectly assign these minor percentages to a lot of people with different backgrounds. Having said that, I think you're right not to dismiss these percentages offhand, as sometimes they do turn out to be something significant.

I wouldn't use Iberian as an indicator of possible Sephardic ancestry, though, unless you find that it occurs in segments shared with Jewish matches. Do you notice any patterns in terms of matches? Any significant number of matches with people with different backgrounds from those in your paper trail?
    Greetings, here are the results from both 23andme and ancestry. I realize that other companies may not be as accurate, but it was interesting to see since dad always use to say he was a German Jew maybe it was true. But nothing Iberian, or Jewish shows up in these results. Also to answer your question, I have not really seen any Jewish matches.
    https://imgur.com/a/nYJvm1S

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

passenger (05-07-2021)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Greetings, here are the results from both 23andme and ancestry. I realize that other companies may not be as accurate, but it was interesting to see since dad always use to say he was a German Jew maybe it was true. But nothing Iberian, or Jewish shows up in these results. Also to answer your question, I have not really seen any Jewish matches.
    https://imgur.com/a/nYJvm1S
    Given those results and the lack of Jewish matches, it looks like the FTDNA and MyHeritage percentages are probably just noise. Or maybe something very far back. I'd say it's pretty clear your dad didn't have any substantial recent Jewish ancestry. Has anybody else in your family been tested?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Cowboy (05-07-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast