Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FT30249
    mtDNA (M)
    W6c1a

Byzantine Empire
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ter View Post
    I don't know(and nobody knows) how the Greeks from Laconia looked in the Early Medieval time before Slavic, Aromanian and Albanian input into Greece.

What Slavic, Aromanian and Albanian input in Laconia. Can you provide some referencing for this sort of population replacement you are hinting at?
    dosas: 56.25% Greek_Macedonia + 43.75% Greek_Trabzon @ 1.769
    wife: 50% English + 50% Irish @ 1.837
    kid1: 56.25% English + 43.75% Greek_Cappadocia @ 1.817
    kid2: 56.25% English_Cornwall + 43.75% Greek_Cappadocia @ 1.866

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kaikavian Croatian
    Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1a2b-A815
    mtDNA (M)
    HV0-T195C!

Croatia European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by dosas View Post
    What Slavic, Aromanian and Albanian input in Laconia. Can you provide some referencing for this sort of population replacement you are hinting at?
    I said into Greece, not Laconia and I was not mentioning replacement, I said input.

All simple calculations, maps and plots I make for free, but for more complicated maps and calculations I ask for a donation via Hidden Content PayPalHidden Content account

Registered Users
    Sex

Its interesting how Gallic:Germanic:Illyric Roman behave. I did check for me and Austrians, and it really jumps up and down, which always means they eaten each other up a bit. Gallic:Germanic obviously more so, with samples getting zero of one and a lot of the other, which is in this context kind of impossible in reality.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kaikavian Croatian
    Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1a2b-A815
    mtDNA (M)
    HV0-T195C!

Croatia European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Its interesting how Gallic:Germanic:Illyric Roman behave. I did check for me and Austrians, and it really jumps up and down, which always means they eaten each other up a bit. Gallic:Germanic obviously more so, with samples getting zero of one and a lot of the other, which is in this context kind of impossible in reality.
    With such calculator where every population is represented only with one sample it is expected that calculator will switch between different combinations.
    Gallic is close to Germanic + Late Roman and Greek is close to Illyric Roman + Levantine. In some cases you will get Illyric Roman + Levantine and in the others you will get Greek. Like in Laconia case which did upset dosas.

All simple calculations, maps and plots I make for free, but for more complicated maps and calculations I ask for a donation via Hidden Content PayPalHidden Content account

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ph2ter For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (05-07-2021),  randwulf (05-07-2021),  Riverman (05-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

With such calculator where every population is represented only with one sample it is expected that calculator will switch between different combinations.
    Gallic is close to Germanic + Late Roman and Greek is close to Illyric Roman + Levantine. In some cases you will get Illyric Roman + Levantine and in the others you will get Greek. Like in Laconia case which did upset dosas.
    Do you mean you chose one sample for every population for representing it or the sample which represents a population is an average?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kaikavian Croatian
    Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1a2b-A815
    mtDNA (M)
    HV0-T195C!

Croatia European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by LesPoilus View Post
    Do you mean you chose one sample for every population for representing it or the sample which represents a population is an average?
    No, I mean one reference for every population.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Venetian + CS Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z58
    mtDNA (M)
    H7

Republic of Venice Friuli Vatican
    Just to give everyone an idea... these how the reference populations plot.

ph2terpca.png

As it always happens some of the populations eat each other and being G25 coordinates PCA-based you may have some pulls which don't really reflect your ancestry but they just put you in the right position on the PCA itself.

The outcome Illyric vs Late Roman is just related to you being a bit more eastern vs western. Similarly, I believe, the northern pull for some more western shifted coordinates will be gallic, some more eastern shifted coordinates slavic. Not mentioning the fact that some of these reference populations may already have elements of other reference populations incorporated (e.g. in late roman I assume levantine, greek, gallic, illyrian and germanic).

In reality, you will always have to consider the history of the regions where your known ancestors come from to have a more realistic fun.

We should always remember that calculators are for fun only and many times you need to adjust it when you see weird results.
    Last edited by Northern Adriatic; 05-07-2021 at 02:27 PM.
    Deep Ancestry: 63.2% AUT_LBK_N + 36.8% RUS_Vonyuchka_En @ 2.6339%
    Ancient: 89.0% ITA_Rome_Late_Antiquity + 11.0% HUN_Avar_Szolad @ 2.4649%

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Northern Adriatic For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (05-07-2021),  JerryS. (05-07-2021),  Mr.G (05-07-2021),  ph2ter (05-07-2021),  Riverman (05-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-FT380205
    mtDNA (M)
    H5m*
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-V13

Serbia United States of America
    Me with Iberic and Ugric, slightly better fit.

Target: Hazmatnik_scaled
    Distance: 2.8828% / 0.02882775
    58.4 __Slavic
    25.0 __Greek
    11.0 __IllyricRoman
    5.6 __Iberic

Distance to: Hazmatnik_scaled
    0.06180158 __Gallic
    0.07587682 __Slavic
    0.07616848 __IllyricRoman
    0.07840405 __LateRoman
    0.08927233 __Iberic
    0.09347892 __Germanic
    0.12362391 __Alanic
    0.13547237 __Greek
    0.16157252 __Levantine
    0.20239919 __Finnic
    0.33302667 __Ugric
    0.46757144 __Hunnic

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazmatnik For This Useful Post:

Просигој (05-07-2021),  ph2ter (05-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Quote Originally Posted by mokordo View Post
    It seems a proxy based in Iberia_North_IA, those 2 samples are actually Berones and not Vascones, so Celtiberian, but they were close neighbours of Vascones areas, and the archeologial site is nowadays in basque Country territory (La Hoya site, near Laguardia, in the South of Álava province).

Berber is Berber_MAR_ERR from modern averages datasheet, I think.
    I just read the Berones were a Gallic tribe who settled in Iberia. Do you agree with it?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Y-DNA (P)
    G1a
    mtDNA (M)
    I5b1

Sweden
    This calc is not intended to be accurate for the Greeks.

I already mentioned that we don't have any Greek sample from Early Medieval time.
    I don't know(and nobody knows) how the Greeks from Laconia looked in the Early Medieval time before Slavic, Aromanian and Albanian input into Greece.
    The Greek reference in this calc is made according to my intuition and I don't pretend that it is very accurate.
    How about taking Greek_Laconia and extracting the small amount of Slavic and Levantine that they score?

Great work as always though. Maybe a bit too much overlap between certain averages.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helves For This Useful Post:

lacreme (05-07-2021),  ph2ter (05-07-2021)

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast