Poll: Worth it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The V5 Chip Is it Worth Upgrading

The V5 Chip Is it Worth Upgrading

Hello,

My spouse did the 23&me test years ago and am wondering if upgrading to the V5 is worth it. They didn't find the results very accurate to known ancestry (98% British when 3 of 4 grandparents were European, including Central & Eastern). They didn't find the health / traits report that accurate - supposed to be neither blonde nor red-haired & straight-haired but they're curly strawberry blonde LOL. And despite known health issues that are inherited apparently, they've no genetic deposition per 23&me.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedItalian View Post
    Hello,

My spouse did the 23&me test years ago and am wondering if upgrading to the V5 is worth it. They didn't find the results very accurate to known ancestry (98% British when 3 of 4 grandparents were European, including Central & Eastern). They didn't find the health / traits report that accurate - supposed to be neither blonde nor red-haired & straight-haired but they're curly strawberry blonde LOL. And despite known health issues that are inherited apparently, they've no genetic deposition per 23&me.
    Why not go for Nebula Genomics which will get you everything. https://nebula.org/whole-genome-sequ...SAAEgIoZ_D_BwE

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

MacUalraig (05-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Jatt1 View Post
    Why not go for Nebula Genomics which will get you everything. https://nebula.org/whole-genome-sequ...SAAEgIoZ_D_BwE
    Interesting. Have you done it and/or 23&me or one of the others (e.g. FTDNA/Ancestry) how would you compare the accuracy? Information

Registered Users
    Sex

Interesting. Have you done it and/or 23&me or one of the others (e.g. FTDNA/Ancestry) how would you compare the accuracy? Information
    No, I have mine from MyHeritage. I have 4 more kits that I manage, 2 are from 23andMe V3 and V5, one from LivingDNA and another one is similar to Nebula Genomics WGS and it is from Full Genomes. WGS is whole genome sequencing and other test like 23andMe are not comparable to it in anyway. For interpretation of data you can always run your data through other tools available out there. https://www.openhumans.org/activity/...genome-report/

https://evidence.pgp-hms.org/about

https://digitalinsights.qiagen.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatt1 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (05-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Germanic
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a1

Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican Italy Tuscany
    No. It is not worth it.

I bought 23andme V5 and also did "convert" it to V3 chip. Not much difference really.
    Hidden Content

Target: Nino_scaled
    Distance: 2.3124% / 0.02312401 | R3P
    61.4 Swedish
    35.8 Spanish_Soria
    2.8 Nganassan

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nino90 For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (05-18-2021),  JMcB (05-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Depends. For ancestry, yea I’d say it’s worth it, but only if you are interested in the ancestry aspect. You will get updates in the future and as of now it’s one of the more accurate tests available. For health, I’d say there are other options to explore.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

10. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

MatAust21 (05-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    Depends. For ancestry, yea I’d say it’s worth it, but only if you are interested in the ancestry aspect. You will get updates in the future and as of now it’s one of the more accurate tests available. For health, I’d say there are other options to explore.
    The original version wasn't very accurate.
    Last edited by BlueEyedItalian; 05-20-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

Germany Italy Sweden Netherlands
    The original version wasn't very accurate.
    I don’t have enough info go on, but based on your initial post, just having central and eastern GP’s doesn’t necessarily mean that’s gonna show in a test. There are more factors at play. The simple fact is, upgrading is up to you. Nobody’s can say if it’s gonna be accurate or not or if you’ll find value in doing so. That said, 23 and me has come a long way in terms of accuracy. The NW Euro area is still challenging but there’s so much overlap there that I’m not surprised in the least.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

13. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

MatAust21 (05-20-2021)

I don’t have enough info go on, but based on your initial post, just having central and eastern GP’s doesn’t necessarily mean that’s gonna show in a test. There are more factors at play.
    ... What "more factors" are at play? Central and Eastern European is known recent ancestry. From Europe not Americans claiming that's their ancestry. If such ancestry doesn't show on these tests what's the point of taking them?

The simple fact is, upgrading is up to you. Nobody’s can say if it’s gonna be accurate or not or if you’ll find value in doing so. That said, 23 and me has come a long way in terms of accuracy. The NW Euro area is still challenging but there’s so much overlap there that I’m not surprised in the least.
    You just said that the fact known ancestry doesn't show up so why bother updating?
    Last edited by BlueEyedItalian; 05-21-2021 at 12:52 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Brazil Azores Italy Ladinia
    ... What "more factors" are at play? Central and Eastern European is known recent ancestry. From Europe not Americans claiming that's their ancestry. If such ancestry doesn't show on these tests what's the point of taking them?

You just said that the fact known ancestry doesn't show up so why bother updating?
    Can you post a screenshot of an updated 23andme result completely erasing 25%, 50% of your ancestry? I never saw such a thing happening. Either you are wrong about what you have in your genealogy or there is some other issue.

That said, despite being the most accurate test 23andme isn't perfect and they can easily subsume a minor ancestry up to 10-15% or less inside the main ancestry if it's similar enough (like German being ''eaten'' by British or Eastern European depending on the German region) but I never saw proven ancestries in the order of 25% or 50% being erased. And they never mistake very distinct components, if you are 1/4 Sicilian, 1/4 German and 1/2 Japanese you will got almost exactly that on a 23andme test.
    Last edited by Caius Agrippa; 05-21-2021 at 01:14 AM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caius Agrippa For This Useful Post:

Aiden (06-18-2021),  Bog Body (05-31-2021),  digital_noise (05-21-2021),  MatAust21 (05-21-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast