Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AncestryDNA "New "Feature"

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    Regarding the low rate of response by people, I kind of wish there was a questionnaire before you register your kit asking something along the lines of if you are doing this for pure curiosity and have no plans to dig deeper or if you are open to genealogical discourse. I have a match estimated at the 5-8th cousin, same last name as me that would be enormously helpful in my Y-dna project. Same with someone with my great grandmothers surname, which is effectively isolated to one or two ancestral villages and is dying out. Neither respond. It’s like having a winning lotto ticket encased in an epoxy block, impossible to cash in haha. I respect privacy, but if you are not interested in talking, there should be a badge letting people know. Just my opinion.
    I got some matches which didn't respond first and some did after years, or when I wrote them something really interesting about their family stories. Some others didn't even read the messages, AncestryDNA is good in showing us whether someone read the message or not. And of some I do know through their closer relatives, with which I match as well, that they have actually passed away in the meantime. So there are literally dead matches out there, some of which were pretty active, as long as they lived. That's actually an interesting point for the future, because many people won't delete their accounts before death nor will their descendents do, if they have some.
    I pretty much like the idea of their profiles surviving, giving future generations hints and informations about their ancestry. But I'm not completely sure as how they will manage it in the near or more distant future.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Riverman For This Useful Post:

Bygdedweller (06-18-2021)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    I like that there is an option now to select matches by side. However, some of my matches are doubly related to me!

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27>Z195>FGC23196
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a2a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    I was just looking at it and itís a neat feature, but I still prefer to use the note feature. Particularly if you have a match with no tree and you run shared matches. When I go through the shared matches I can quickly figure out how Iím related to this person based on the notes I made of the other matches and then on this person Iíll make a note like: Jones/ Nickell per shared matches.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:

Dts (06-19-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I like that there is an option now to select matches by side. However, some of my matches are doubly related to me!
    That does create some difficulties, although there is an option to check "both". My parents were born over a thousand miles apart, and do not appear to have any overlapping ancestry. (Of course, obviously they do eventually.)

The only reason my parents met was the my mother was from Biloxi, Mississippi, and the U.S. Air Force had (and still does) a major training base there: Keesler Air Force Base. My maternal grandmother always grumbled about the young Yankee (from Pennsylvania) that came and stole her daughter away.

My mother, I'm afraid, could hardly wait to be stolen from her mother.

I'd actually like the ability to assign grandparental or even great grandparental sides when possible. For me that would be most of the time.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    No in this case itís more that they match me from both maternal grand parents. I have decided to just match based on the closest shared ancestor.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Yeah, I have that same issue. On the line I'm most interested in, my ggg-grandfather and his brother married sisters. I have a match from his brother and don't know how to accurately label it (easily, it's on my mother's side). Similarly, their father and one of his brothers also married sisters.

I marked it based on the closest known match, but it's really double that, which I explained in the note, but I don't really like that solution.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    Yeah, I have that same issue. On the line I'm most interested in, my ggg-grandfather and his brother married sisters. I have a match from his brother and don't know how to accurately label it (easily, it's on my mother's side). Similarly, their father and one of his brothers also married sisters.

I marked it based on the closest known match, but it's really double that, which I explained in the note, but I don't really like that solution.
    I have a similar situation with my paternal grandfather's paternal grandparents. They were not related to each other, but my 2nd great grandfather's sister married my 2nd great grandmother's brother. So the offspring of these two couples were double 1st cousins.

A 3rd cousin once removed, "GC", who is descended from my 2nd great grandparents' siblings, happens to have also tested at Ancestry. He's their great grandson rather than their 2nd great grandson --meaning that my father would have been his 3rd cousin, and I'm on the "once removed" side. Ancestry reports our sharing as 16.5 cM in two segments, with a longest segment of 17 cM. Unweighted sharing, though, is nearly double that at 31 cM. This means the second segment -- at least, pre-Timber -- must be 14 cM.

Now, it was easy enough for me to tell Ancestry the side and relationship ... but it definitely doesn't present the full picture. Instead of my being descended from two of GC's 2nd great grandparents, I'm descended from four of them. (Although, of course, they are 3rd great grandparents to me.)

So would it really be surprising if I did happen to share slightly more DNA with this particular cousin than just any 3rd cousin once removed?

(As it happens, we don't actually share an unexpected amount of DNA for the relationship, even using the "unweighted" figure of 31 cM. "Average" sharing for the relationship is given as 48 cM, with a range of 0-173 cM. Of course, this average is based on 3rd cousins once removed who have non-zero sharing with each, so it's somewhat inflated.)

EDIT:

I should note that Ancestry actually is "aware" of both relationships, since under "Common Ancestors" one ancestor couple is showing, but the other shows when I select "See other possible connections". I have many more matches like this, though far more on my mother's side than on my father's side. I have some relatives who show four or five total sets of "possible connections", and generally all of them are valid.
    Last edited by geebee; 06-20-2021 at 03:28 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland
    Another FYI.. I was doing some more Mother Father and when I clicked on a cousin the " 3rd cousin 1R" came up before I put it in.. so since I share that cousins matches I "see " that he put that in already.. so the software DOES pick it up..
    FTDNA- Group admin-FauntFant, LowerDelmarVa
    23andme,FTDNA,MyHeritage,LivingDNA
    3 Great GP 100% Irish,7 GreatGreats 100% Irish and 4 unknown likely Welsh,3rdGreat GP Sweden,

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

Riverman (06-21-2021)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345