Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-FGC74345
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1

United Kingdom Northumberland European Union

I1 Samples on Big Tree

I came across something that I wasn't aware of - I1 samples on Alex Williamson's Big Tree. It's often championed (quite rightly so) as great resource for the R1b folks, and it's pretty clear that the layout was an inspiration for FTDNA's block tree view.

The I1 section can be found here (as I-Z2881) https://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=3440

A lot of the samples appear to be from the 1000 Genomes Project, where the data from these samples is publicly available, but there are a few others that were most likely from BAM/VCF that individuals have uploaded to the Y-DNA Warehouse.

The I1 tree here doesn't have a great deal of branching compared to those at YFull or FTDNA, but that's likely because of (i) less samples and (ii) the majority of samples in this section have not yet been analyzed (red background) while two of the kits have been (grey background). I'd expect the R1b samples to be a priority but it is interested to see other haplogroups placed on there.

So potentially another source of third party analysis of Y-DNA from NGS (Big Y, YElite, WGS) for those who aren't keen to upload to YFull. It does display novel SNPs and other mutations on the kit page in a way that FTDNA and YFull don't - see here for one of the kits https://www.ytree.net/SNPinfoForPers...?personID=7346 so some folks may not be comfortable with that although everyone who has uploaded has consented to this.

Another thing that's listed at the bottom of the kit page is "Age Analysis Information (work in progress)" where it appears that the age estimate from YFull will be compared with the McDonald age estimate (more regions, so potentially more SNPs for age estimate, but less years per SNP).
    Haplogroup I1 Ancient DNA Samples Map: Hidden Content

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (06-01-2021),  mwauthy (06-01-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Germany Bayern Italy Two Sicilies France
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly77 View Post
    I came across something that I wasn't aware of - I1 samples on Alex Williamson's Big Tree. It's often championed (quite rightly so) as great resource for the R1b folks, and it's pretty clear that the layout was an inspiration for FTDNA's block tree view.

The I1 section can be found here (as I-Z2881) https://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=3440

A lot of the samples appear to be from the 1000 Genomes Project, where the data from these samples is publicly available, but there are a few others that were most likely from BAM/VCF that individuals have uploaded to the Y-DNA Warehouse.

The I1 tree here doesn't have a great deal of branching compared to those at YFull or FTDNA, but that's likely because of (i) less samples and (ii) the majority of samples in this section have not yet been analyzed (red background) while two of the kits have been (grey background). I'd expect the R1b samples to be a priority but it is interested to see other haplogroups placed on there.

So potentially another source of third party analysis of Y-DNA from NGS (Big Y, YElite, WGS) for those who aren't keen to upload to YFull. It does display novel SNPs and other mutations on the kit page in a way that FTDNA and YFull don't - see here for one of the kits https://www.ytree.net/SNPinfoForPers...?personID=7346 so some folks may not be comfortable with that although everyone who has uploaded has consented to this.

Another thing that's listed at the bottom of the kit page is "Age Analysis Information (work in progress)" where it appears that the age estimate from YFull will be compared with the McDonald age estimate (more regions, so potentially more SNPs for age estimate, but less years per SNP).
    Interesting! James has appeared to hint on a few occasions, that they may start using other Haplogroups but I never really saw that confirmed. If you look at their map, there are a lot of Haplogroups there besides R1b but I’m not sure how much they’re analyzing them. So it’s nice to see some I1s getting analyzed. I’ve thought about sending them mine before but I figured they probably don’t really want it. So I didn’t.
    Last edited by JMcB; 06-01-2021 at 04:46 PM.
    Paper Trail: 42.25% English, 31.25% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German, 6.25% Sicilian & 1.5% French. Or: 86% British Isles, 6.25% German, 6.25% Sicilian & 1.5% French.
    LDNA(c): 86.3% British Isles (48.6% English, 37.7% Scottish & Irish), 7.8% NW Germanic, 5.9% Europe South (Aegean 3.4%, Tuscany 1.3%, Sardinia 1.1%)
    BigY 700: I1-Z140 >F2642 >Y1966 >Y3649 >A13241 >Y3647 >A13248 (circa 540 AD) >FT81015 (circa 1120 AD) >A13243 (circa 1620 AD) >FT80854 (circa 1700 AD).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

deadly77 (06-01-2021)