Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do Anglo Indians score like?

Registered Users
    Sex

What do Anglo Indians score like?

Hey, does anyone know what Anglo Indians score like genetically? Does anyone have any results?

By Anglo Indian I mean the descendants of British people who remained in India after 1947 and mixed a bit with Indians.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Azbuzz View Post
    Hey, does anyone know what Anglo Indians score like genetically? Does anyone have any results?

By Anglo Indian I mean the descendants of British people who remained in India after 1947 and mixed a bit with Indians.
    White Dad and South Asian mom right. The first borns will be 50 /50 but the following generations will be very Indian.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Shujauddin View Post
    White Dad and South Asian mom right. The first borns will be 50 /50 but the following generations will be very Indian.
    It's not what you described. They are a specific ethnic group.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/bestoftv/...lo-indians.cnn

Anglo Indians are a specific group. They are multigenerationally mixed and rather endogamus.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Azbuzz For This Useful Post:

thejkhan (06-07-2021)

Gold Class Member

If you mix indiscriminately, I would give 5 generations for the ancestry to become trace. But if the mix is within Anglo-Indians, then perhaps 10 generations or so.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (06-07-2021),  kaazi (06-07-2021),  laltota (06-07-2021),  Shujauddin (06-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    If you mix indiscriminately, I would give 5 generations for the ancestry to become trace. But if the mix is within Anglo-Indians, then perhaps 10 generations or so.
    ya, even at 3 generational out-mixing, the original ancestry can get insignificant @12.5% mathematically, but if they go endogamous, then they may stabilize and preserve to a certain level of mix.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kaazi For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (06-07-2021),  laltota (06-07-2021),  parasar (06-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    They are a unique group now. Like Parsis are a mix of South Asian and Iranian and have maintained a unique genetic profile by endogamy, I'm sure these Anglo Indians would have as well. They are considered a unique group like Parsis are.

I know one guy who was Anglo Bangladeshi and he got 1/3 British.

Not sure what the ones in West India would score like.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azbuzz For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (06-07-2021),  laltota (06-07-2021),  parasar (06-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

It's not what you described. They are a specific ethnic group.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/bestoftv/...lo-indians.cnn

Anglo Indians are a specific group. They are multigenerationally mixed and rather endogamus.
    Some White guys while stationed in colonial India marry a south Asian - how can that become an ethnic group? for an ethnic group you need to have a consistent historical background and not a product of a single marriage. For xample Sikhs in USA married Mexicans but that does not resulted in a race called " Punxicans".

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Shujauddin View Post
    Some White guys while stationed in colonial India marry a south Asian - how can that become an ethnic group? for an ethnic group you need to have a consistent historical background and not a product of a single marriage. For xample Sikhs in USA married Mexicans but that does not resulted in a race called " Punxicans".
    What? They are absolutely not "a product of a single marriage". Who told you that? definitely considered an ethnic group/community in South Asia.

Anglo Indians are descendants of those who have (considerable) ancestry from Indians and Brits. Small groups of Brits lived together with Indians and they frequently intermarried with each other. After the Brits left, this ethnic group remained among themselves and practiced endogamy. They even consider English as their mother tongue. As you can see from the results of partial Anglo Indians that I shared, they score considerable Northwestern European. I can't find a full Anglo Indian result though.

Now the term Anglo-Indian can also be used for half-English and half Indian people but the overwhelming majority of the times it refers to Indians with considerable Euro ancestry who belong to the Anglo-Indian community. The vast majority of Indians don't have British ancestry, but this group does.

when the British Government departed — they left behind many men, women, and children of full or partial British descent.
    These people formed a community with their own reserved representation in the country’s parliament — and today number over 1 million citizens. They are counted as a seperate group.

The All India Anglo-Indian Association, founded in 1926, has long represented the interests of the ethnic group; it holds that Anglo-Indians are unique in that they are Christians, speak English as their mother tongue, as well as have a historical link to both Europe and India. Anglo-Indians tend to identify as people of India, rather than of a specific region of India such as the Punjab or Bengal.2 August is celebrated as World Anglo Indian Day.

Derek O Brian is an example of a famous Anglo-Indian.

Just like the Parsis came to India from Iran mixed with local Indians and later formed an endogamus community with links to both Iran and India, the Anglo Indians have also done the same. I'm not sure how it's any different. The Punxican example you gave doesn't make sense as those people would genetically and culturally now have no ties to Punjab and be completely Mexican unlike the Anglo Indians and Parsis.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azbuzz For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (06-07-2021),  laltota (06-07-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>Z49>Z142>
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bt
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a2a1b2a1b1>Y4925
    mtDNA (P)
    H37

England Scotland Wales Germany Ireland Sweden Finns
    My Anglo Indian great great great great grandparents were 50% Indian (the grandmother) and 25% Indian (the grandfather). Their daughter (my 3xgreat grandmother) was 3/8ths (37.5%) Indian and born in Calcutta.
    So I guess she would be considered 100% Anglo-Indian.

Her daughter (my great great grandmother) was 3/16ths Indian. I guess she would be considered 50% Anglo-Indian? She was born in England and her father was 100% Scottish.

Her son (my great grandfather) was 3/32nds (9.375%) Indian and born in London. I guess he would be considered 25% Anglo-Indian?

If so, then I’m 3/256th Indian, which I guess would make me 3.125% Anglo-Indian right?

Never really thought about it that way.
    Last edited by MitchellSince1893; 06-07-2021 at 05:50 AM.
    Y DNA line continued: Z142>Z12222>FGC12378>FGC12401>FGC12384
    37% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German, 3% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French/Dutch, 1% India
    Hidden Content

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (06-07-2021),  laltota (06-07-2021),  Nino90 (06-07-2021),  parasar (06-07-2021),  Sapporo (06-07-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast